Popular Tags: [View All]
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy is listed as the "spiritual ancestor" of Rising Sun, so this should be interesting.

Has anyone test played the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fascinated to see how the Honour system plays out. Allowing betrayals, but with a measurable penalty, sounds like it could shift the dynamic significantly. It would also possibly allow players to see the backstab coming, once the potential loss of honour is outweighed by other gains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am worried that this will mean that the game is for 5+ players (not that there is anything wrong with that but I mainly play with 4).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
I'm fascinated to see how the Honour system plays out. Allowing betrayals, but with a measurable penalty, sounds like it could shift the dynamic significantly. It would also possibly allow players to see the backstab coming, once the potential loss of honour is outweighed by other gains.

Those elements are largely why I'm interested in hearing from someone who has had a chance to test play it. Will the betrayals result in being stabbed in the back for a small amount but the player willl still be "in the game," or will players be betrayed so badly that they are completely out of the running? The first option adds interest and tension, the other ends marriages.

The game is unbelievably beautiful and I can't wait to hear more about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
I am worried that this will mean that the game is for 5+ players (not that there is anything wrong with that but I mainly play with 4).

3-6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lang
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is still in development, and I've personally had at least 50 play testers. They are under strict NDA, so we won't be able to divulge much until the publisher says it's okay (ie. when we get closer to release).

One of the design goals for Rising Sun is to have a negotiation war game where, despite the epic feel, the stakes of betrayal and loyalty have a lower impact on real world relationships. All alliances will be temporary, and I've seen some pretty creative dealmaking.

I'm very excited for the game, but sadly can't say much more until development is finished

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atul Deshpande
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
How does one become a play tester? Do you also look for play testers in the noob category?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No offense intended, but if Blood Rage was a "spiritually successor" to Risk, and this is a spiritual successor to Diplomacy... well I'm thinking that the descriptor is next to useless.

I hope that the betrayal isn't like the "temporary alliances" in Cosmic Encounter, because those, for my group, were perfectlly inoffensive and toothless. Unless an alliance lasts longer than one round/decision point, there is no emotional investment.

That said, I'll back this. I really WANTED to love BR, even though I didn't. But then again, I like Diplomacy more than Risk. So I hope that descriptor doesn't turn out to be as useless as I'm worrying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Lang wrote:
The game is still in development, and I've personally had at least 50 play testers. They are under strict NDA, so we won't be able to divulge much until the publisher says it's okay (ie. when we get closer to release).

One of the design goals for Rising Sun is to have a negotiation war game where, despite the epic feel, the stakes of betrayal and loyalty have a lower impact on real world relationships. All alliances will be temporary, and I've seen some pretty creative dealmaking.

I'm very excited for the game, but sadly can't say much more until development is finished

Eric

Thank you for sharing what you could given the NDA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely you don't want emotional investment in an alliance - that's what makes games like diplomacy such a specific taste. Also, it seems that Eric's design choice is to try and avoid that sort of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.