Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this might be a cool idea. I searched Eric Lang's tweets for "Sunrise" to see what he's posted about Rising Sun's development. It turned out to be a neat look at how the game has changed over time. You also get some insight into his design process (which is undoubtedly still in progress for the game). Don't expect any gameplay spoilers, though, because he doesn't discuss specific mechanics.

Since I found it interesting, I made a Storify about it. Feel free to share! (It's my first Storify so apologies for the lame URL.)

https://storify.com/thedaviddawson/getting-started

Edits for some grammar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done.

What's interesting here is that the minis and the game are not really that related timewise... In as much as, the minis are being completed even as the game is going through complete redesigns.

Which, to be fair, doesn't say much, in as much as the minis are merely the expression of an aesthetic, but the gameplay is largely independent of that aesthetic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
Nicely done.

What's interesting here is that the minis and the game are not really that related timewise... In as much as, the minis are being completed even as the game is going through complete redesigns.

Which, to be fair, doesn't say much, in as much as the minis are merely the expression of an aesthetic, but the gameplay is largely independent of that aesthetic.

The game is 95% complete, I'm not sure what you mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
MrMT wrote:
Nicely done.

The game is 95% complete, I'm not sure what you mean.

Well, if you follow the tweets, it's full of breakthroughs and setbacks and redesigns, while the mini production schedule seems to chug along regardless.

So, there's a moment when he says how great the minis even while the game design appears to be in the air.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I want to know what game is drop bear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lang
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We lock in components around mid design (as I do with many games), which means that redesigns happen around them. I'm pretty fussy about theme, so you can bet the monsters and figures are designed from the top down no matter how many iterations

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And this is an excellent capsule of why I can't design games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the first "Cult of the New" games that I am truly excited about. I've never played Blood rage, but I have friends who rave about it, and I like the concept minus the theme. A oriental themed spiritual successor to it sounds right up my alley. I'll have to watch this one and save up for it.

Also, loved the storify! I love reading the behind the scenes of this sort of stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WisdomForWizards wrote:
This is one of the first "Cult of the New" games that I am truly excited about. I've never played Blood rage, but I have friends who rave about it, and I like the concept minus the theme. A oriental themed spiritual successor to it sounds right up my alley. I'll have to watch this one and save up for it.

Also, loved the storify! I love reading the behind the scenes of this sort of stuff.

Well... Blood Rage is cool to play once, and then you realize you've seen almost every card in a single playthrough. Then you get down to the core mechanics, which is deterministic combat and light resource management.

It's basically 7 Wonders and Cthulhu Wars/Chaos in the Old World smashed together and drained of soul; every faction is the same (not strictly bad) but there aren't nearly as many interesting decisions to make as in either of those.

I tend to think most Blood Rage hardcore fans were either guys who never played a euro, never played much but cmon games (which are light in general), guys who wanted to validate their hundred (or more) dollar purchase, or some mix of those things... but I tend to have unpopular opinions. I figure it's similar to Halo; very popular, flashy, lots of people play it and mistake it for being great, but there were much better things scratching similar itches beforehand.

I'm still going to back Rising Sun, though. I ain't about to pay aftermarket CMON prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Beatrice
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for compiling those. It's great to see tweets like:

"latest iteration is a bust",
"back to 40% done",
"I threw away 5+ different versions of...", and
"Time to burn it to the ground and start over."

I've had a few designs of my own over the years and where most of those have hit a brick wall, Eric Lang isn't afraid to turn around and head in another direction. Or he just smashes through the wall and douses the place in gasoline, grimacing with a blazing cigar between his gritted teeth.

What a guy.
Inspiring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.