Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive me if this has already been posted somewhere, but I couldn't find it: Can you play the game with just 2 or 3 of the characters, rather than all 4?

The marketing material keeps implying that 4 students must save the world, as opposed to "up to 4". Some games require a specific number of heroes to be in the game, regardless of player count. That would seem like an odd design choice for a deckbuilder, but publishers sometimes make very odd decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
I believe that the game is 1-4 players. So you can mix and match or choose any character that you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Prasuhn
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Forgive me if this has already been posted somewhere, but I couldn't find it: Can you play the game with just 2 or 3 of the characters, rather than all 4?

The marketing material keeps implying that 4 students must save the world, as opposed to "up to 4". Some games require a specific number of heroes to be in the game, regardless of player count. That would seem like an odd design choice for a deckbuilder, but publishers sometimes make very odd decisions.

I've played it with 2, 3, and 4 players and it plays well with each player count. It lists 2-4 on the box.

You can play Solo if you want by using multiple characters. You could try it with one but I'd probably just choose two and play both decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eprasuhn wrote:
I've played it with 2, 3, and 4 players and it plays well with each player count. It lists 2-4 on the box.

I think you answered it, but to be clear: Player count is independent of character count.

For some games, 2 players require 4 characters. Fortunately, it sounds like that is not the case here. 2 characters, 3 characters, or 4 characters are (apparently) all fully supported. Not sure about a single character, since the official player count is 2-4.

I assume the game scales in some way based on how many characters are in play?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Prasuhn
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
eprasuhn wrote:

I think you answered it, but to be clear: Player count is independent of character count.

For some games, 2 players require 4 characters. Fortunately, it sounds like that is not the case here. 2 characters, 3 characters, or 4 characters are (apparently) all fully supported. Not sure about a single character, since the official player count is 2-4.

I assume the game scales in some way based on how many characters are in play?

Thanks.

Ah, I understand now. You don't need to use all four characters at all times. You can just use 2.

Ron and Harry seem to be little more useful for attacking the villains and Hermione and Neville seem to be better at getting influence and healing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Johansen
msg tools
Yes, one character per player, no matter how many players (unless you houserule the 2-character solo variant).
I can confirm that the game plays seamlessly no matter the number of players. It's incredible, really. I play co-ops from all sorts of "big" companies, and each one either has scaling rules, or is harder/easier depending on the participants. I am impressed at every turn with this fantastic first gaming offering from a family game company! Rookie of the Year by a landslide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank B
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not so sure about this - I think that it will play much better with four than with two. My wife played it at GenCon with a full table, and they found it fun and challenging.

We got it at home today, and the wife and I played it, just the two of us. We played four games (years 1 - 4), and each time, we beat the game EASILY. Then we played a game using the locations from two years earlier (because there were fewer places to put skulls, making it likely to lose more easily) - and for the first time, we got to the last location card. But won without any skulls on it.

So, if you play two players, I think you want to ramp up the difficulty by changing the location to an earlier one. Now, perhaps something changes in Year 5 or later, but so far - too easy with just two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Prasuhn
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just played 5 and 6 the last two nights. It gets a little harder, but we still won pretty handily. There seems to be a point that if you can get some good cards before losing that first location, then you're pretty much set for the rest of the game. The game is noticeably more difficult with 3 or 4 people in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eprasuhn wrote:
The game is noticeably more difficult with 3 or 4 people in it.

Any idea why that is? With evil advancing once per player turn, I would have expected it to scale well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
eprasuhn wrote:
The game is noticeably more difficult with 3 or 4 people in it.

Any idea why that is? With evil advancing once per player turn, I would have expected it to scale well.

If it's anything like Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, that is just the nature of co-operative deckbuilders. In 2 player you get a turn for every 2 enemy turns. In 4 player you get a turn for every 4 enemy turns. With more players each player has less time to react to the enemy deck, and you typically get fewer turns per game. With fewer turns, the deckbuilding engine isn't able to fire as efficiently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
peakhope wrote:
With evil advancing once per player turn, I would have expected it to scale well.

If it's anything like Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, that is just the nature of co-operative deckbuilders. In 2 player you get a turn for every 2 enemy turns. In 4 player you get a turn for every 4 enemy turns.

Doh! I'm very familiar with that effect from Legendary. I guess it has been long enough since I have played that system that it slipped my mind. It's a shame they didn't address that somehow with the design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Prasuhn
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Teamjimby wrote:
peakhope wrote:
With evil advancing once per player turn, I would have expected it to scale well.

If it's anything like Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, that is just the nature of co-operative deckbuilders. In 2 player you get a turn for every 2 enemy turns. In 4 player you get a turn for every 4 enemy turns.

Doh! I'm very familiar with that effect from Legendary. I guess it has been long enough since I have played that system that it slipped my mind. It's a shame they didn't address that somehow with the design.

In addition to what was already said, dark arts cards almost always effect all the players. So the more people playing the more people that need to be healed and if you get knocked out it adds the dark mark token. Once we've beaten all the games I want to go back and try to try some variants to increase the difficulty. The rulebook suggest for a harder game to start out with 1 or more Dark marks tokens on the location, which will be the first thing we try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank B
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eprasuhn wrote:
peakhope wrote:
Teamjimby wrote:
peakhope wrote:

In addition to what was already said, dark arts cards almost always effect all the players. So the more people playing the more people that need to be healed and if you get knocked out it adds the dark mark token. Once we've beaten all the games I want to go back and try to try some variants to increase the difficulty. The rulebook suggest for a harder game to start out with 1 or more Dark marks tokens on the location, which will be the first thing we try.

Starting with more Dark Mark tokens could do it - but my wife and I also enjoy using locations from earlier years (so far - we just did Year 5) - which, since they have fewer spaces on each one for Dark Marks, does a similar thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.