Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update 1: in the 20-odd hours since I originally posted this, there's been a huge surge of support that's unlocked one of the biggest value adds: fully plastic 3D buildings. And with 16 hours to go, the campaign is only $1,500 short of a massive visual upgrade including unique art for each of the hundreds of cards, and less than 50 shares/tweets/fans from a digital art and narrative book. If you're ou haven't back yet, the deal keeps getting sweeter and sweeter, but your window is closing.

Update 2: Holeeeee crap. In the 6-ish hours since I posted Update 1, fans of Gigs-Robo have blown off the Giga-Roof. The game has now unlocked the $77K and $79K stretch goals, granting the game a massive visual upgrade including unique art for every attack card and foiled versions of each robot's three "ultimate" attacks. And if you've seen how good the existing art for this game is, you can realize how much better the box just got.

Update 3: With about 120 minutes left in an epic, 35-day campaign, new pledges continue to trickle in, inching closer to the "Kickstarter exclusive card sleeves" stretch goal. With all of the biggest and most critical stretch goals securely unlocked, this is a victory lap, but nothing quite says victory like custom polyurethane.

Update 4: It's over! The campaign came to a close with an amazing 1003 backers, over 25% of which joined in the last 4 days. It was amazing and exciting, and we hit every stretch goal except the last one, which would have added a digital soundtrack to the game. But whatever, I can always just put this on a loop. I'm sure the designer is exhausted now. I feel exhausted, and all I did was pledge.

There are now fewer than 48 16 10 8 2 ZERO hours remaining in the Giga-Robo kickstarter campaign. If Giga-Robo caught your eye when it was on the BGG hotness or on the kicktraq hot list, but you're still on the fence about backing, here's what you should know:

1. A LOT OF GAME IN THE BOX: Although the game's miniatures are HUGE (topping out at 93mm/3.6 inches), the fact that the game comes with four six robots shouldn't mislead you into thinking the gameplay will be limited. I've already written about this, but this is a game of depth and strategy (with a little dice-chucking to stimulate the senses).

If you want to just jump into some city-smashing fun, each of the game's robots comes with a "introductory" build which will giga-punching immediately.

But the heart of the game is the unique combination of your pilot and robot. And over the course of the campaign, the depth and bread of your options has multiplied. Starting with 4 robots and 5 pilots (20 unique combinations), the unlocked content has now put the game at 6 robots and 7 pilots (42 unique combinations).

And once you've selected a combination, the choice of pilot abilities (1 of 3), robot abilities (3 of 6), and combat hand (15 of 45 cards) means that this game is more than just an awesome city-scale miniatures game--this is also a self-contained CCG with an insane scope of customizations. Giga-Robo fans have already starting sharing their "builds" here.

2. KICKSTARTER VALUE: I've already written about this, but the value of this kickstarter can't be understated. If you want to get the same value of a $70 kickstarter pledge when it hits retails, it's going to cost you $124.

And with the way the kickstarter is currently trending, it's likely IT'S TOTALLY ASSURED the 15 buildings included in the box are going to be plastic (although, many backers are so excited about the current printed building art that they're clamoring for the PDFs).

It's so much goodness, it won't fit in one box.

3. LIMITED PRINT RUN: I've mentioned this before, too, but if you're relying on retail availability (especially online discount availability), you're taking a big chance. This isn't a pre-order kickstarter from a major publisher. This is a truly independent kickstarter, which is currently being driven to a healthy success by 780+ passionate backers. There will be retail copies, but there won't be 10,000 of them, and when they're gone, you'll need to wait for another independent print run.

On top of that, the kickstarter campaign is offering a limited opportunity for pre-printed models. Effectively, for about $25, you can have all six robots painted. There's no plan to include that at retail.

Finally, there are four "kickstarter exclusive" resin alternate sculpts of the original four core set robots. While having no mechanical impact on gameplay, they are as shiny as hell, and once the kickstarter ends their availability will be severely limited.

So if you want this, you probably want it now.

4. A GREAT CAMPAIGN: I'll be honest: the theme of this game snagged me immediately. I pledged before the page had even finished loading.

But since then, I've put a lot of hours into this campaign: playing the game on the free tabletopia demo (use firefox), reading the rules, watching playthroughs, writing reviews, creating variants, and generally trying to raise awareness for this campaign.

And the reason I did that (beyond my personal desire to see the stretch goals unlocked) is because this is the most deserving kickstarter campaign I've ever partcipated in. The creator is an indepedent designer, but he did all the work up-front:

* Three years of playtesting
* Rules, reviews, and play-throughs available from day one
* A forgiving production schedule that left enough time for all potential stretch goals
* Active participation and communication
* Giving backers an avenue for "more, more, more!" (resin alternate models) without complicating or bogging down the core product
* A true passion project that shines with care and polish

CONCLUSION: Okay, I'm done Giga-promoting. Do as you like, friend. But I hope to meet you across the a battlefield of a shining cityscape one day. And if I do, I shall salute you before I try to punch you through a building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Final 48 Hours: 4 Reasons to Back Giga-Robo
It takes a Giga-Fan! to Giga-Promote! such a Giga-Game! I'm Giga-Glad! the community for this Giga-Game! is so Giga-Cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RODRIGO MAIA MANIQUE
Brazil
RIO DE JANEIRO
flag msg tools
mbmb
I´m in! Great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many games have such an awesome community before the KS has even finished? I'm glad I found this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hammerschlag
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
IRON FUSION OVERKILL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you're part of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Malo
United States
Lake Park
Florida
flag msg tools
Any dream can take over the world.
badge
The only thing more evil than Cthulhu . . . . Kickstarter Addiction!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to back this. Seems like a cool game and an excellent KS campaign.

However, this is terrible timing for me and my games budget, all the releases that I have preordered and the couple games I have already backed recently, I just can't find the other $70 right now unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hammerschlag
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
IRON FUSION OVERKILL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally understand - we'll be kicking around for a while so if you check back here every now and then we'll be able to key you in on when the game might be available for purchase in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Whapham
United States
Sunbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there going to be a late-backer option after it ends?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cheng
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wormaap wrote:
How many games have such an awesome community before the KS has even finished? I'm glad I found this one!

Right? It's pretty nuts. Really hoping we can secure a booth at Gen Con next year, try to get the community together, and throw a casual tournament for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jetjagaa wrote:
Wormaap wrote:
How many games have such an awesome community before the KS has even finished? :) I'm glad I found this one!

Right? It's pretty nuts. Really hoping we can secure a booth at Gen Con next year, try to get the community together, and throw a casual tournament for everyone.

I haven't been able to make it to Gencon for two years, but this might give me the reason I need to come back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott S
msg tools
jetjagaa wrote:
Wormaap wrote:

Well, I do know some people who have experience in setting up tournaments at Gencon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jetjagaa wrote:
Wormaap wrote:

If you make it to Essen, I'm in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
This is an awesome topic.

Also we're down to 20 hours, but pushing toward $75,000 already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Final 16 Hours: 4 Reasons to Back Giga-Robo
Why wait for an early bird? At 5$ more the game still looks like a steal to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I can understand that, but you'll be losing way more money if you wait for retail. According to the campaign page it's a savings of around $44 given their current retail price quotes. So the question is will you be picking this game up even if you don't back.

Also considering the success of this campaign currently I highly doubt someone is going to back down from one of those early bird slots. Especially people from regions that don't benefit from a reasonable shipping rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murdercarrots wrote:
I know. It's partially principle in regards to limited Early Birds, and how I vote with my wallet. There are way too many games to back, and this helps me sift through the mountains of projects that want my money My wife and I are heavy backers, so 5 here and 10 there over the course of 15-20 projects a year goes a long way. Perhaps a strange budgeting quirk to some, but it works for us.

You know what? I have an EB, and I'm sure that if I drop it, someone else than you will pick it up. But if you do go all-in, I'll send you the five bucks through PayPal to virtually transfer my EB to you, just because I want more people to enjoy this game. Let's just hope it doesn't turn out to be a dud
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand corrected. Ron will back down evidently I already gave up my EB slot a while ago. Figured it would be better utilized to draw someone less excited. I'd probably pay anything I could to see this game realized. There's nothing that marries this theme to board games as successfully on the market right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Wormaap wrote:
Let's just hope it doesn't turn out to be a dud

Considering the feedback from online play and the mass amount of playtesting, doubt it! Game looks awesome, and has my favourite mechanisms: Variable Player Powers, Shared Map, and Giant Robot Mecha Combat Awesomeness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C3Gaming wrote:
Wormaap wrote:
Let's just hope it doesn't turn out to be a dud

Considering the feedback from online play and the mass amount of playtesting, doubt it! Game looks awesome, and has my favourite mechanisms: Variable Player Powers, Shared Map, and Giant Robot Mecha Combat Awesomeness.

Yeah, I really don't expect it to suck, it was more of a joke

Almost there for unique card art, gogogo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murdercarrots wrote:
There's an open early bird for me...and unique card art for all. Cheers.

Awesome! Welcome on board

And yay! Unique card art! Now even if no one will play the game with me, I can just sit and look at the cards robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Final 10 Hours: 4 Reasons to Back Giga-Robo
Aaaand foiled ultimates SG reached! robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Final 10 Hours: 4 Reasons to Back Giga-Robo
It's great to see that the digital art book got unlocked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.