12 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Best OCS for me? (Small scenarios, not too high counter density) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ursa ludens
Sweden
flag msg tools
I have long wanted to get into OCS, as I like a lot of the systems... I used to have several of the older titles, then sold them as they never hit the table and I needed the cash.

But now I feel the urge to dabble in the system again. I'm not sure what title would best suit my wishes though.

I want good 1-map scenarios... while I wouldn't rule out playing a 2-map scenario in the future, right now, I have a hard time finding the table space to leave that much set up. If they are reasonable in counter density, and in playing time as well (comparatively), so much the better.

Rules complexity doesn't daunt me much... it's the game being too big in physical space / too many counters on the map / taking too many dozens of hours to finish that puts me off the bigger scenarios.

I do enjoy the idea of managing supply, of having to prepare and plan for an offensive, instead of just always pushing forward.

Themewise, I've in the past mostly played East Front and North Africa, as I tend to enjoy the sweeping maneuvers and encircling / cutting off enemies that is thus enabled. I've also got a weird fascination with the Korean War, probably from watching too much M*A*S*H.

Of course, if the game is somewhat available, that's a bonus, but otherwise, I've no problem with hunting down a copy on ebay or bgg marketplace or such.

Oh, and if somebody has lighter / smaller games to recommend that still give a good feeling of logistics and managing supply and having to plan and prepare before launching an offensive, feel free to recommend them as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory McAllister
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Blitzkrieg Legend: The Battle for France, 1940 may be your best bet. Plenty of one and two map scenarios and the counter density isn't too overwhelming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically anything outside the Eastern front games will have a number of good one map scenarios and not be overly counter-dense. Burma is a bit of an anomaly, though, depending on how you feel about back-folding maps. Some of its scenarios use both two maps, but only use the equivalent space of one map. So if you back fold the maps right, it can fit in the same area as a single map.

But of all the options available, Korea is always a good place to start. Its one-map scenarios are quite good, and a few of its two-mappers have options to reduce them to one, as I recall. The new Sicily and Reluctant Enemies are both good beginner games and have only one map scenarios, since they each only have one map total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
For what you're looking for, I'll second the Korea module. Great range of scenarios of all sizes. "Enter the Dragon" is one of the best in the series. Kind of infantry heavy, though. A good overall package and value.

I also like Beyond the Rhine. There are more units, but you can try some of are those deep operations you like. There are some small scenarios, but check out the larger Bulge scenario (one-map; excellent) and the various 2-mappers, which basically split up the campaign area into manageable halves--for a future project. I think BTR is a good overall value.

Be sure to look at the scenarios in the PDFs at the Gamers Archive and check out the maps and OBs for the scenarios before you buy.

http://www.gamersarchive.net/thegamers/archive/ocs.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't Reluctant Enemies an OCS title that is often suggested for this specific request as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
And now, perhaps, Sicily II and Tunisia II.

These may be smaller footprint OCS games, but do they have a range of scenarios? RE doesn't; just the campaign and a shorter version of it, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first recommendation is Reluctant Enemies. Sicily II is also a good option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DAK has about 5 one map and another 3 or so two map scenarios, all relatively low density.

It is of course out of print, which is the major drawback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ursa ludens
Sweden
flag msg tools
patton1138 wrote:
But of all the options available, Korea is always a good place to start. Its one-map scenarios are quite good, and a few of its two-mappers have options to reduce them to one, as I recall.
Is there a big difference between the current printing of Korea and the previous one? I think I might still have the older printing lurking about in storage... not totally sure, I'll need to check at some point.

DaveyJJ wrote:
Isn't Reluctant Enemies an OCS title that is often suggested for this specific request as well?
I've read some comments that the situation in Reluctant Enemies is rather static, and lacking the fluidity of other OCS games - any further input about whether this is correct would be welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:

Yes, one map, fits on the typical dinning room table or card table. Reasonable counter density. Very well put together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
ursa ludens wrote:
patton1138 wrote:
But of all the options available, Korea is always a good place to start. Its one-map scenarios are quite good, and a few of its two-mappers have options to reduce them to one, as I recall.
Is there a big difference between the current printing of Korea and the previous one? I think I might still have the older printing lurking about in storage... not totally sure, I'll need to check at some point.

As I recall, the only changes were some aesthetic ones on a few counters. There were also a couple of changes to the game specific rules to account for changes in the series rules, but updated rules can be gotten from The Gamers Archive.

Quote:
DaveyJJ wrote:
I've read some comments that the situation in Reluctant Enemies is rather static, and lacking the fluidity of other OCS games - any further input about whether this is correct would be welcome.

I wouldn't say that it's static, but it's possibly a bit less operationally interesting than other titles. But that also means it's more straightforward for new players, allowing them to concentrate on learning the rules and some of the 'ways to do things right' without being quite as worried as being beaten over the head for making a huge mistake.

If you read the start of the Starter Guide (also available on the archive), you see that the game is basically divided into three avenues of attack. So there's a question of allocating resources to each avenue, as well as the three questions of how to go about attacking in each avenue, with each being a different sort of puzzle. But each avenue is fairly isolated from the others, meaning that you won't get the sweeping encirclements and counter-encirclements of the Eastern Front or the massive offensives of either of the European fronts. Which is probably appropriate for a first OCS game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ursa ludens wrote:
[...] then sold them as they never hit the table [...]

Answering your question, from 1(min playability) to 10 (max playability) in scenarios:

8 9 7 9 8 8 8 6 10 9
6 6 7 8 10 9 7 6 6

immo, obviously

F.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.