Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M. Graham Clark
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got off an 8 hour binge with this game. This is my first exposure to MoM. I’m a medium gamer, dabbling in some heavier games here and there but mostly sticking with stuff that can be played in a couple hours. The first edition of this game caught my attention, but I never played it because as much as I love Arkham I already own it and I don’t get it out much due to RNG hell and setup time. The reviews of seemed to suggest the same problems for MoM 1e, if not inflated and worse due to the way stories/clues play out. But I could see the potential in the reviews, but clearly bordgaming had not matured its mechanics enough in 2011 for 1e to work. I raise these issues because in my first play, it seems to fully work with the app driven approach. So that’s a big win in my books. It’s a great game, but by transcending the traditional boundary between videogame and table top, I want to express my concern that the future of this game is going to be very much in limbo. Nowadays vids tend to live and die by their support of games post release and FFG seems to want to move in that direction. Time will tell if they put the resources there, and they have with their other product lines, so I remain hopeful. Really boardgames should be about unplugging and being immersed in a collective imagination and I really hope I will be able to play scenarios dreamed up by users in this community. It’s impossible to unplug now, but I think the app worked well for us. I put the app on my laptop which can convert into a tablet (steam version), and it was just passed around to whoever wanted to do the upkeep stuff (often the last one to do a puzzle or someone not snacking). The first 30min to an hour I felt it was a bit intrusive, but quickly it integrated itself into the game like any other mechanic and it wasn’t as obvious as an intrusion. Still, the reports of it not being a big deal underplay the invasiveness of the app. Almost every players’ turn requires tapping something and reading the text. No different than cards in mechanism, but it was there and it clearly wasn’t cards. Maybe a smaller tablet would have been different, but passing around a 3# computer isn’t the same as drawing a card.

Quality? I would say as a unique thing, this is a fascinating experiment. I’m a scientist and I love new things and all of us had a blast playing this game. We played 3 games in 8 hours with one win two losses. The app itself is not bottomless, but over 8 hours the repetitive nature only came across in the more common monsters’ attacks or responses to common weapons. For me that is fine, a really a small deck of cards for each interaction would do the same, but would take forever, and it is better than most games with the possibility of expansion/updates in the future. Again possibilities are huge here, but who knows. The mechanics are solid and we only found two typos in the app, both were easily overcome with a little intelligence (e.g. one event had text tell us what to do on a successful skill check and on a successful skill check instead of a failure; minor really). I’m not going to talk about miniature quality, others know more than me and I care little to be honest. It’s fun being chased down by a massive star spawn, that’s all I know. My concern is that the app makes interactions with monsters slightly more convoluted. More play will know for sure, but it was hard to tell if horror checks were more intense for more intense monsters or how different things are really randomized.

Replay? I can’t comment on this too much. We did repeat one scenario (the first one we lost) and it seemed like things we learned could be carried forward into the next game. We knew what we needed and roughly were to find it. I don’t think you would get a tonne of replay out of each scenario with the same group (at least not the two we played). After beating it maybe you might try it again in the future but highly repetitive play would get dull fast. It’s really hard to comment on without spoilers, so I will leave it there. Again I hope FFG gives over app support to the community, then the creative juices could really flow.
Is it worth it? This is the question I hate most. We all value things at different scales. I am lucky enough to value my time more than money. Is it worth 4 nights out to the movies? Easily. Is it worth more than a good set of groceries this month, not a chance in hell. So you know your budget best and what you value most. If you are at all cautious I would do as others have advised and wait to see how things go with upgrades. Still, we haven’t even beat two of the four base scenarios and that is 8 hours of fun times for four of us. That’s around $3.75/hour for each of us [$120 CND/(4 people x 8 hours) = $3.75 CND/hour] with at least that much more game time ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
mclark04 wrote:
Replay? I can’t comment on this too much. We did repeat one scenario (the first one we lost) and it seemed like things we learned could be carried forward into the next game. We knew what we needed and roughly were to find it. I don’t think you would get a tonne of replay out of each scenario with the same group (at least not the two we played). After beating it maybe you might try it again in the future but highly repetitive play would get dull fast. It’s really hard to comment on without spoilers, so I will leave it there. Again I hope FFG gives over app support to the community, then the creative juices could really flow.
Is it worth it? This is the question I hate most. We all value things at different scales. I am lucky enough to value my time more than money. Is it worth 4 nights out to the movies? Easily. Is it worth more than a good set of groceries this month, not a chance in hell. So you know your budget best and what you value most. If you are at all cautious I would do as others have advised and wait to see how things go with upgrades. Still, we haven’t even beat two of the four base scenarios and that is 8 hours of fun times for four of us. That’s around $3.75/hour for each of us [$120 CND/(4 people x 8 hours) = $3.75 CND/hour] with at least that much more game time ahead.

Regarding replayability;

I completely agree that diminishing returns sets in fairly fast for each scenario... with the same group of people. If it's the same group over and over, everything is going to get fairly old, very fast.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind playing this over and over with different groups of people and intentionally stepping back from making any major decision.

(This is the Lovecraft game I'm going to take with me to play multiplayer. Eldritch Horror is going to forever be my solo game.)

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Graham Clark
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja_Bob wrote:
mclark04 wrote:

Regarding replayability;

I completely agree that diminishing returns sets in fairly fast for each scenario... with the same group of people. If it's the same group over and over, everything is going to get fairly old, very fast.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind playing this over and over with different groups of people and intentionally stepping back from making any major decision.

(This is the Lovecraft game I'm going to take with me to play multiplayer. Eldritch Horror is going to forever be my solo game.)

goo

Agreed! It is similar to how I like pandemic legacy. I will never get my first game back, but playing with others is still so much fun. I just bow out of the big picture decisions. I put the two on the same page, only with MoM I can use the same board over and over again which is a savings for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clements

Dallas
Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review.
Regarding replayability... in our house we have a simple solution to replayability: buy more games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think that there may already be expansion packs in the works! I agree though the game is worth it. The first time you play each scenario is amazing, like you're watching a cool film for the first time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lifehouserocks95 wrote:
I think that there may already be expansion packs in the works!

Direct from FFG Website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.