Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any insight into this yet? We're trying to decide if we should max it out at 5 or keep it to 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Haag
United States
Hamburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The only thing I've heard about player counts so far is that the amount of resources stays contstant, no matter how many players you have. Therefore, more players means more competition between them.

I suppose it depends on the group. If you want to encourage wars amongst the players, go with 5. If you want an enconomic engine, go with 3. 4 should be somewhere inbetween.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
What Edward said. Was going to say pretty much the same thing, but just wanted to add that no matter how peaceful or bloodthirsty you are generally, the game promises to require other strategies to succeed sometimes. You won't be locked in one role or playstyle. To get ahead, peaceful traders may have to turn to piracy and explorers may run out of places to explore. The available milestones can make you reconsider your avenue to glory.

So the player count will likely inform your strategy but won't dictate it.

Also assume that fewer players will mean more permanent rewards (fortune, reputation, appellations, etc.) The difference between winning 33% of the games vs winning 20-25% could be profound.

That said, I'm hoping to play with five. I want every ship in the game sailing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Slade
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since everyone gets to upgrade an advisor, the more players you have, the more powerful the whole advisor pool will be. More players also means that random objectives like milestones and exploring islands are more likely to be met, meaning small parts of the game might be unlocked faster. Of course whether that is a good or a bad thing is a whole other kettle of fish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forged wrote:
Since everyone gets to upgrade an advisor, the more players you have, the more powerful the whole advisor pool will be.

True, and an interesting point. Almost twice as many advisor upgrades will be applied per 5-player game than per 3-player game. And I imagine the game will quickly get to a point where you are unable to upgrade the advisor you want to keep for the next game, because that advisor is already capped out.
Quote:
More players also means that random objectives like milestones and exploring islands are more likely to be met, meaning small parts of the game might be unlocked faster. Of course whether that is a good or a bad thing is a whole other kettle of fish.

In some case it might make it harder to complete milestones with a larger game. For example, [preview info, non-spoiler] there is an early milestone that requires that you "have three structures". Given the limited number of structures available (early in the game, at least), this might be more difficult to achieve with more players, due to competition for structures and for resources (and possibly also due to increased potential for being raided).

It will be interesting to hear reports about how varying player counts affects game play. For example, there is a limited amount of exploring possible, so I expect that exploring opportunities might be "used up" fairly quickly. This in turn means that there might be more resources available faster ... at least at first, but then those resources will cap out. Raiding is a much less limited resource (each site can only be explored once per *campaign*, but can be raided every year), so this might lead to more raiding (both islands and provinces), and therefore more accumulated enmity ... which in turn *discourages* raiding. How will it balance out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's probably not what you meant by the question, but for me I've set up a group of 5 because I think it will "feel better" in terms of creating the story of the world. That is, there won't be an empty province sitting there doing nothing, which for me would create a thematic disconnect in the game knowing that it would literally never be used ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benmartell wrote:
It's probably not what you meant by the question, but for me I've set up a group of 5 because I think it will "feel better" in terms of creating the story of the world. That is, there won't be an empty province sitting there doing nothing, which for me would create a thematic disconnect in the game knowing that it would literally never be used ever.

Or it could allow someone to jump into the campaign later...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Becq wrote:
benmartell wrote:

Or it could allow someone to jump into the campaign later...

Like a kraken-like fish out of water...

Sure, but then you're still playing with 5 (in the end) so I guess what I'm saying is my decision is driven more by legacy game aesthetics and less by gameplay.

I have more than 5 people who I could feasibly get to play, so I'll never be in a position where I have spare spots to fill later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhere else Rob said IIRC that a 5 player game will be pretty cut throat and essentially require people to raid other sites / people. A 4 player game is a good balance between exploration and raiding and a 3 player game people can raid, but you are not hurt if you don't.

Someone asked about playing it 2 player and he said at that point, it was basically an engine building race to the finish with no interaction.

If you are looking for the exact quotes, I want to say it was in the post reddit AMA thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wuyley wrote:
Somewhere else Rob said IIRC that a 5 player game will be pretty cut throat and essentially require people to raid other sites / people. A 4 player game is a good balance between exploration and raiding and a 3 player game people can raid, but you are not hurt if you don't.

Someone asked about playing it 2 player and he said at that point, it was basically an engine building race to the finish with no interaction.

If you are looking for the exact quotes, I want to say it was in the post reddit AMA thread.

I agree with this, basically if you prefer more raids, do 5, if you prefer less raids, do 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
More discussion on this here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1577254/ideal-number-player...

My group likes fighting, but we are going to go with four players. Having that fifth player will make it that much harder to coordinate when to meet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
More discussion on this here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1577254/ideal-number-player...

My group likes fighting, but we are going to go with four players. Having that fifth player will make it that much harder to coordinate when to meet.

A reasonable plan.

But another thing to keep in mind is that the game *does* have a mechanic in place to handle missing players. Not that its perfect, either from the perspective of the missing player or from other's perspectives, but it does mean that you can play a game without a player, and they won't have been left in the dust when they come back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.