Subject: Using Arena Rex minis for KD Survivors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am considering buying up a few Arena Rex minis for use as KD:M survivors. I like the miniatures and they are quite nice. About on par with what Poots is putting out.

I need to know if the scale of the minis for Arena Rex is the same as KD:M. Anyone have any insight on this? Would love to proxy a few survivors with those gladiator minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They'd fit in perfectly.

Well, except maybe breast size.

They're really similar size, have great detail, very nice casting, really smart anatomy (following the KS, they put quite a bit of effort into researching realistic musculature).

We used a number of them in our earlier campaigns when we wanted to represent the right gear. Also, btw, I think it's a really smart little game, and if you're getting some minis, you might as well try it out, since you can get the rules for free.

Since they're not digital sculpts, the scale isn't quite as consistent (urbicus was smaller than any other gladiator I got), but I think everything else more than outweighs any problems.

(Obviously, I like the line)

edit: regarding comparative merit, I'd actually say AR is better. They cost more for it, but I'd put an average AR model on par with KD's better resin- the detail is about as fine, but with more expression and the majority of the minis have really nice posing. I haven't played a ton, but as a modeler, AR minis are a joy to work with, and something I save up for, every so often. I think I've only had one dud in their line, which I'd thought was just a bad paint job, but turned out to be a weird face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
They'd fit in perfectly.

Well, except maybe breast size.

They're really similar size, have great detail, very nice casting, really smart anatomy (following the KS, they put quite a bit of effort into researching realistic musculature).

We used a number of them in our earlier campaigns when we wanted to represent the right gear. Also, btw, I think it's a really smart little game, and if you're getting some minis, you might as well try it out, since you can get the rules for free.

Since they're not digital sculpts, the scale isn't quite as consistent (urbicus was smaller than any other gladiator I got), but I think everything else more than outweighs any problems.

(Obviously, I like the line)

edit: regarding comparative merit, I'd actually say AR is better. They cost more for it, but I'd put an average AR model on par with KD's better resin- the detail is about as fine, but with more expression and the majority of the minis have really nice posing. I haven't played a ton, but as a modeler, AR minis are a joy to work with, and something I save up for, every so often. I think I've only had one dud in their line, which I'd thought was just a bad paint job, but turned out to be a weird face.

Thanks! Yes I have also toyed with buying into the game itself. So many games, so little time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure!

Just double-checked the size, they tend to be a little shorter, but that's because they have low or charging stances- they're very similar if you stand them up.

And I found the game super-quick to learn/enjoyable even at the minimum 3vs3 size. Feels a bit like x-wing if it were a skirmish game instead of with fighters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The no ranged weapon bit gets me. Why? Also, does the game purport itself to be historically accurate? That would be cool. Don't know much about the specifics of Roman Gladiators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The fighting styles were clearly researched, to the point where I've had people immediately recognize a model's combat style from their gear, despite stylization, and there's actually a pretty believable little alternate history timeline in the book (I'd be very surprised if there weren't some history buffs in their staff), but there's obviously a bit of artistic liberty taken since there's a decent chunk of mythological critters, too.

On no ranged weapons, eh, personally I think that a lot of ranged weapons are either too strong or (like KD's original bows) too heavily restricted due to their range, so I'm fine without it- for instance, I don't really think ranged combat in KD is handled very elegantly, since there are all sorts of reactions and crits that assume you're next to the monster and arrow gear doesn't really make sense.

A huge part of AR is smart positioning, and a lot of less overtly powerful fighters' power is in being able to reposition or beat back enemies rather than deal or take raw damage, so I think it would take some radical reworking of the rules, or a really smart, range-focused expansion, to add an element of range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
The fighting styles were clearly researched, to the point where I've had people immediately recognize a model's combat style from their gear, despite stylization, and there's actually a pretty believable little alternate history timeline in the book (I'd be very surprised if there weren't some history buffs in their staff), but there's obviously a bit of artistic liberty taken since there's a decent chunk of mythological critters, too.

On no ranged weapons, eh, personally I think that a lot of ranged weapons are either too strong or (like KD's original bows) too heavily restricted due to their range, so I'm fine without it- for instance, I don't really think ranged combat in KD is handled very elegantly, since there are all sorts of reactions and crits that assume you're next to the monster and arrow gear doesn't really make sense.

A huge part of AR is smart positioning, and a lot of less overtly powerful fighters' power is in being able to reposition or beat back enemies rather than deal or take raw damage, so I think it would take some radical reworking of the rules, or a really smart, range-focused expansion, to add an element of range.

I'm a sucker for historical games. Still trying to get that French Revolution board game if I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.