Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: First Play, question, and warning rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David DeKay
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
My wife and I played through the intro scenario last night. We both had a great time!

One question that we couldn't figure out. Many attack and mythos checks would say "Take 2 damage but mitigate with a Strength roll and turn up two face down damage cards".

My question is: When making the check, do you need two successes to mitigate the two damage or just one? Does one success mitigate one damage? Is there anyway to avoid turning up the face down damage cards? Does it matter if you pass or fail the test?

Make sure all players are aware of the additional player options. My wife's character went insane and at the end of the game she lamented not being able to achieve her insane goal. I found out that she would have needed to use one of the additional player options. She read the entire quick start guide and it does not mention these actions. She would have easily won the game.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
She went insane and needed to spend a turn with another player while having a bladed weapon. My character had a knife and axe while she only had a bat. She could have been able to take an item from me and stab me to death to win the game, had she known the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each success you roll mitigates 1 point of damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark P
Canada
Kitchener
ONTARIO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The key instruction to look for is "____ negates".

Rolling one success would negate one damage. So you could take one of the 2 face-up damage cards if you rolled just one success. Rolling 2 or more success means no damage cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmdogg wrote:
My wife and I played through the intro scenario last night. We both had a great time!

One question that we couldn't figure out. Many attack and mythos checks would say "Take 2 damage but mitigate with a Strength roll and turn up two face down damage cards".

My question is: When making the check, do you need two successes to mitigate the two damage or just one? Does one success mitigate one damage? Is there anyway to avoid turning up the face down damage cards? Does it matter if you pass or fail the test?

Make sure all players are aware of the additional player options. My wife's character went insane and at the end of the game she lamented not being able to achieve her insane goal. I found out that she would have needed to use one of the additional player options. She read the entire quick start guide and it does not mention these actions. She would have easily won the game.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
She went insane and needed to spend a turn with another player while having a bladed weapon. My character had a knife and axe while she only had a bat. She could have been able to take an item from me and stab me to death to win the game, had she known the rules.

Learn to Play book, Page 12, second column, Insane section, third paragraph tells you that becoming insane may alter how you win or lose the game. You may want to perform one or more actions they would not otherwise perform. Check the "Rarely Used Actions" on the last page of the Rules Reference.

Learn to Play book, Page 13, first column, Negating Damage and Horror, says that some checks cause you to take damage or horror but allow you to resolve a skill test to negate some or all. Test the indicated skill and prevent one damage or horror for each success result rolled.

I also recommend looking this up in the Rules Reference. Page 13 of that book has a section on Negate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeKay
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the replies! Does negating all the damage in a check enable you to ignore the "Turn face up" effects?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmdogg wrote:
Thanks for all the replies! Does negating all the damage in a check enable you to ignore the "Turn face up" effects?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmdogg wrote:

We played that it doesn't. The "turn X face up" was a separate sentence and we played it that negate merely mitigates damage but doesn't cancel the other effects. I'm making this from memory, but I believe it says...

"Take 2 face down Damage (X negates). Then flip two damage face up."

To me that says the test negates the damage, but not the face up flip. Because you could have existing damage that flips up, not just the two you draw. Also, if you look at the entry for negate in the RRG it only says it negates damage and horror, not the act of flipping any up. Those aren't the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmdogg wrote:

Reference book, page 13, Negates: "For each success rolled the investigator prevents one Damage or one Horror, his choice"

No mention of also stopping the flipping action, so that would continue to occur.

As an aside, all of your questions are answered in the reference guide under the key words you have mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:
Jimmdogg wrote:

Yes.

This is incorrect. Typically, the instruction to turn cards faceup appears after the "X negates" text and is therefore a separate and unrelated instruction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does, obviously, negate a "take a face up damage/horror" though. Just not a "turn cards face up" instruction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne McIlvaine
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a play-through on Sunday we had this same situation / discussion and because it was a period (.) and not a comma (,) we ruled that even though the player had negated both of the new attack's damage, that the rules were trying to tell us to flip up one pre-existing damage card face up. But selecting that option in the app, the flavor text very specifically referenced details related to the "new" attack, so we backed out of that and ruled the other way (i.e. do not flip a pre-existing damage face up).

Anyone else notice the same thing?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.