6 Posts

Kill Doctor Lucky» Forums » General

Subject: Which do you prefer... Paizo vs 19.5? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wes Ray
msg tools
mbmbmb
After a bit of research, I'm not 100% sold on the rules changes. I've heard mixed things in regard to the 19.5 version being "better" as it was intended to be. So I'll ask everyone who has played both... which do YOU like better and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Played a few of the Paizo and once of the 19.5 and to me the latter makes so much more sense. The spite tokens are one of the reason that break the former as a game can go on forever, as spite tokens don't deplete, they just transfer. The 19.5 version makes it so that an end is inevitable. Mitigating riding the Lucky Train. The Hallways were always a boring place to end up because there's nothing to do and you can't draw a card. So that's been eliminated and as long as you can't be seen you get a card. The more predictable path of Doctor Lucky means that you can plot a little better on getting him to a secluded area, rather than the previous player suddenly moving him randomly.

But why not just print and play both versions for yourself before committing to a retail version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I greatly prefer the 19.5th anniversary edition, having played both. The new version doesn't tend to overstay its welcome like the Paizo edition tended to, but the components were much prettier for the older board. The 19.5 version seems to be better-tailored towards the game's strengths as a quick pick-up game that's a bit more accessible for newbie gamers.

I'm a big fan of how...tidy the game feels now, if that makes any sense. There's a good bit of variety with the inclusion of both Dr. Lucky's dog and his cat (which both serve to add a bit of strategic depth) and a wonderful endgame variant (Escape from Lucky Manor) is extremely entertaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bennett
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me they both have their pluses and minuses. I much prefer the Paizo board and I'm fine with the higher level of chaos ("You've been waiting patiently for Doctor Lucky in the Dining Hall so I'm moving him to the Winter Garden! HA!"). And we only use spite for murder attempts and never as failure, so spite actually worked the same as "reasons" in the new rules and never made the game drag. (They are called reasons, aren't they? I only have the beta rules...)

On the other hand, the cat is brilliant and Israel Evans' art is terrific. And the new rules aren't any worse, they are just different. I don't think they are any better, either. Just different.

If I had any room in the budget for another copy I would get 19.5, but money is too tight so I'll stick with the Paizo version I already have and enjoy.

If you decide to buy the older set, don't shop through Amazon. The prices are ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
captkiddeo wrote:
...And we only use spite for murder attempts and never as failure, so spite actually worked the same as "reasons" in the new rules and never made the game drag.

Agreed. The spite token rules changed well before the 19.5 anniversary edition. If you don't pass spite around and only use it to permanently add to murder attempt value, then the game doesn't drag and it's still fun to manipulate the Doctor's movement, even if you can't search in hallways, etc. I read the 19.5th edition rules and have no intention to "upgrade" from my Titanic edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elhnad legs
msg tools
anybody know if we can print and play the free version with the latest rule set? and does the board matter? free or 19.5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.