Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A silly question: How do you pronounce this game's name?

I see the name and I pronounce it "fan-tah-ZEE" like the word "fantasy" but with a 'zee' instead of 'see' at the end. Like a combination of "fantasy" and "yahtzee" if you will.

At Gen Con, I heard folks pronouncing it "fan-TAH-zee" with the emphasis in the middle. This doesn't sound right to me, but I heard it several times so maybe this is in fact correct.

Maybe
Ryan Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
can weigh in on this pressing, important issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How you pronounce Yahtzee? Isn't the emphasis on the Yah there as well? That's why I would think the 2nd one would make more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always heard Yahtzee pronounced "yacht-ZEE".

Oddly, I own all three of the games shown in this commercial -- Yahtzee, Triple Yahtzee, and Word Yahtzee...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ljacone wrote:
A silly question: How do you pronounce this game's name?

I see the name and I pronounce it "fan-tah-ZEE" like the word "fantasy" but with a 'zee' instead of 'see' at the end. Like a combination of "fantasy" and "yahtzee" if you will.

At Gen Con, I heard folks pronouncing it "fan-TAH-zee" with the emphasis in the middle. This doesn't sound right to me, but I heard it several times so maybe this is in fact correct.

Maybe
Ryan Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
can weigh in on this pressing, important issue?

As one of the volunteers, I heard it from the "people above" with emphasis on either first or second syllable, but never the third. (It also made a difference how quickly it was said. Rushed emphasized the first, slower emphasized the second.)

So cool, Ryan came by my demo table and I got to talk to him. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Hah yes, we need to get this cleared up right quick!

I say it like your first example, basically saying "fantasy" with a z instead of the last s - "Fantazee"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On a slightly related topic, why do people chose names that are hard to remember how to spell?

I know the name is a pun and makes sense, but I can never remember where the H and Z are in it as it can have many variations (especially for a foreigner to the English language).

Should we add alternative names to the games in the database to make them more searchable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

A rather similar name is shared by this band. Quite notorious, they were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.