Terra Mystica» Forums » Variants

Subject: New expansion scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Per Olander
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
based on another thread, where I came up with some new ways to maybe benefit some of the weaker factions, plus create some dilemmas during gameplay, I tried to word some new final scoring tiles, to join the pool of SH/SA distance, normal distance, edge, and clusters.

for the current tiles, I feel there is a big synergy between network and extra scoring - the extra scoring might take some focus off a 3rd town, but thats mainly it.

I wanted to create some final scorings that emphasised something different than just expanding, and makes it more a decision of doing X or Y, often not possible to score big on both regular network and extra final scoring.

here are my suggestions, feel free to come up with more:
if nothing else is mentioned, its the standard 18/12/6 vp at game end, and adjacency is not needed

- biggest sum of cult steps

- double the normal VPs from cult end scoring

- 3/2/1 vp for passing first each round

- biggest sum of power of your buildings, divided by number of buildings.

- borderlands - any land-hex that borders your buildings, doesnt matter if they are empty or houses an opponent building. each hex only counts once per player, nomatter how many buildings border it, and river-hexes doesnt count.

- reverse area: smallest number of buildings.

-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like several of the Final Tiles above except the one regarding least number of buildings. Most buildings without any adjacency would be interesting because then you won't have to focus on connecting, but I think you'd have to require a minimum of 2 towns that are not connected. If you allowed connection then one player could just grab the top spot on both network and that final tile.

The one where you take the power of buildings and divide it by number of buildings is much better and will reward the factions that build up and not out like Swarmlings and Yetis.

Some time ago, I suggested two different final scoring tiles. One of them rewarded just the sum of building power and the other rewarded leading a round at the end of each round, but awarded the points at the end of the game and not during. It is supposed to reward players that have early leads when they hit the round bonuses and vp BONs extremely well, but can't hold on to win because they lose out on final scoring.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1539397/catch-or-accele...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Per Olander wrote:
here are my suggestions, feel free to come up with more:
if nothing else is mentioned, its the standard 18/12/6 vp at game end, and adjacency is not needed

- biggest sum of cult steps
Cultists would love this, as would Auren - maybe also CMs. Cultists may become unbeatable if they get 18VP extra from cults. Maybe the VPs should be less.

- double the normal VPs from cult end scoring
How about 50% more? For the same reasons: Cultists.

- 3/2/1 vp for passing first each round
That would make for interesting rounds - FAV6 and BON2 would become less attractive. Yetis would suffer, but having a faction suffer is not a problem whereas having a faction become OP is.

- biggest sum of power of your buildings, divided by number of buildings.
This is the one I like the best, as it has no synergies to existing final scorings (unrelated to cults and somewhat opposed to network).

- borderlands - any land-hex that borders your buildings, doesnt matter if they are empty or houses an opponent building. each hex only counts once per player, nomatter how many buildings border it, and river-hexes doesnt count.
Wouldn't that be somewhat similar to clusters? You would dot the map with your dwellings (ideally with distance 2).

- reverse area: smallest number of buildings.
No, I don't like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highest number of power tokens at end of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1869 wrote:
Nice idea. Obviously you'll want to count them before the final burn+conversion.

Burn now for an early benefit, or save it for end VP. Better not pick Dragonlords in such a game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Olander
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
DocCool wrote:

Wouldn't that be somewhat similar to clusters? You would dot the map with your dwellings (ideally with distance 2).

yes, its similar to clusters, but the idea was to achieve the following:
- distance 2 clusters are better than distance 1 clusters (fakirs)
- landlocked hexes are better than hexes along the river (hurting mermaids and riverwalkers)

but in the process, it will also take focus away from edges, and besides fakirs and dwarves, the river will still be essential in some way. So this is not my personal favorite either
I like the average building strenght best, and if it wasnt for Cultists, I would love to have some cult focus to make Auren playable.
I do agree that under any scenario, its better with one shitty faction than one OP faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
1869 wrote:
Nice idea. Obviously you'll want to count them before the final burn+conversion.

Your choice if you convert or not.

Shapeshifters could be op if they don't shift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
I summarized and created a list of all the proposed new Final Scoring Tiles
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highest Number of Buildings (18/12/6 vp)
-> Direct or indirect adjacency is not required
Encourages: Just building
Discourages: Shipping Advances
by: PerOlander

Biggest Non-Adjacent Network (18/12/6 vp)
-> Highest number of buildings, 2 Towns and non-adjacency required
Encourages: Just building and Towns
Discourages: Shipping Advances
by: JamesWolfpacker

Most Cult Steps (18/12/6 vp)
-> Sum of all cult steps
Encourages: Use of all cults.
Discourages: Use of only 1 or 2 cults.

Cult Avoidance (18/12/6 vp)
-> Least Amount of cult steps
Encourages: Stronghold building and use of priests for digging and shipping advances
Discourages: Sending priests to cults, cult bonuses, FAV tiles

Double Cult Scoring
-> Double the VPs from cult end scoring.
Encourages: Massive cult investment.
Discourages: Use of priest for non-cult uses.

Round Leader (18/12/6 vp)
-> 3/2/1 vp for leading each round and is added at end of the game.
Encourages: Factions with constant scoring abilities, players that hit round bonuses better, players to use vp BONs better.
Discourages: Factions without inherent scoring abilities, players from using non-vp BONs

Passing First (Is this endgame or during game?)
-> 3/2/1 vp for passing first each round
Encourages: Factions that build up first before building out, factions that usually take less actions,
Discourages: Delay actions (such as dig 1 turn, then build next turn)

Highest Connected Building Power (18/12/6 vp)
-> Sum the power of your buildings, must be connected
Encourages: Building up more than building out, factions based on networks with SH and SA and 4TP and 1TE and 3D (19pw and 10 network)
Discourages: Factions based on networks with 8D and 3TP and 2TE (18pw and 13 network)

Highest Non-Connected Building Power (18/12/6 vp)
-> Sum the power of your buildings, connection not required
Encourages: Building up more than building out, factions based on networks with SH and SA and 4TP and 1TE and 3D (19pw and 5 network not connected)
Discourages: Factions based on networks with 8D and 3TP and 2TE (18pw and 13 network)

Highest Average Connected Building Power (18/12/6 vp)
-> Sum the power of your buildings, divided by number of connected buildings.
Encourages: Building up more than building out, factions based on networks with SH and SA and 4TP and 1TE and 2D (18pw and 9 network = 2 avg)
Discourages: Factions based on networks with 8D and 3TP and 2TE (18pw and 13 network = 1.38 avg)

Highest Average Non-Connected Building Power (18/12/6 vp)
-> Sum the power of your buildings, divided by number of total buildings, connection not required.
Encourages: Building up more than building out, factions based on networks with SH and SA and 4TP and 1TE and 2D (18pw and 9 buildings = 2 avg)
Discourages: Factions based on networks with 8D and 3TP and 2TE (18pw and 13 network = 1.38 avg)

Borderlands (18/12/6 vp)
-> Count all terrain hexes that border your buildings, not including your own hexes with buildings. Land hexes may be free or occupied, and each hex only counts once per player. River-hexes do not count. Connection not required.
Encourages: Factions that do not mind being landlocked, upgrading digging
Discourages: Factions that prefer or require shipping use, building on the river

Reverse Area (18/12/6 vp)
-> Fewest number of buildings.
Encourages: Building up and not out, conflicts with connecting the network, use of BON4 to create remote spots that can't or won't get connected later
Discourages: Network connection

Power Tokens (18/12/6 vp)
-> The most number of power tokens in all bowls
Encourages: Factions that don't like to burn power or can gain power tokens, factions that can churn power faster, higher use of FAV8 and possibly other income favs, factions with SH giving 4pw to build it earlier
Discourages: Factions that prefer burning power, Dragonlords, factions that churn power slower
by: BlueSteel

Better Conversions
-> Unused resources count differently in endgame scoring. 3C = 1vp, 2 tokens in Bowl 3 = 1vp, W = 2vp, P = 3vp
Encourages: Non-spending of resources in R6, conflicts with network scoring, conflicts with cult scoring, use of ACT2 and ACT3 and if taken then 3pw to 1w and 5pw to 1p conversions, possibly more leech in later rounds
Discourages: other power actions, 1pw to 1c conversion, spending resources for late game expansion to take network points, and priests to cults

Versatility
-> 2vp per different construction type on board, priest to each cult, and if shipping/digging were advanced at least once
Encourages: Having at least one of each building and a bridge, having at least 1 priest in each cult, upgrades to ship and dig, and use of ACT1 for a max of 24vp
Discourages: Factions that avoid certain buildings, factions that are missing upgrades, factions that don't send priests to cults
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gurps Melendor
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biggest distance between two connected temples.

Other player’s buildings directed adjacent to yours trading posts.

Maybe you could have two random end gaming scores, one worth 18/12/6 and other 8/4/2 VPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
I saw that I missed one other topic when I made the list. Some of the ideas in the list were also in that topic. I'll edit them in later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Vos
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came up with a few more. A lot are variations on the same thing (I liked playing around with the religious theme). I added my own 'encourages / discourages', but you are free to change those as you plaese. Not all of them are particularly good, but I just wanted to throw out some ideas

Longest Trade Route
Distance between 2 trading posts. A variation on distance.
Encourages: Spreading out and building up (a bit)
Discourages: staying together.
Connection required.

Urbanization
2vp per dwelling left on your player board (due to you upgrading them)
Encourages: Building up (at the end of the game)
Discourages: Spreading out too thin (and at the end of the game)
Connection not required.

Religious Leader 1.0:
2vp per temples/sanctuary built
Encourages: Building up.
Discourage: Spreading out.
Connection not required.

Religious Leader 2.0:
1vp per temples/sanctuary built, and priests left in general or personal supply
Encourages: Building up. Using priests for single steps on cults (which returns them). Using priests for carpet flight (fakirs) / digging (darklings).
Discourages: Spreading out. Sending priests for 2/3 steps to cults.
Connection not required.

Religious Control 1.0:
1vp per other of your OWN buildings (d/tp/sh) adjacent to at least one of your temples/sanctuariy (signifying religious influence over your own people)
Encourages: Building up, clustering around temples/sanctuaries
Discourages: Spreading out.
Connection not required.

Religious Control 2.0:
Same, but then 1 (or 2?) vp for only your own adjacent dwellings
Connection not required.

Religious Power 1.0:
1vp per other of your OPPONENTS’ buildings (d/tp/sh) adjacent to at least one of your temples/sanctuary (signifying religious influence over other people)
Encourages: Buiding up, careful placement of temples/sanctuary next to as many other buildings (but this might offer them leach as well). Could also lead to countering temples with temples (i.e., regaining religious control)
Discourages: Spreading out.
Connection not required.

Religious Power 2.0:
Same, but then 1 (or 2?) vp for only your opponents’ adjacent dwellings
Connection not required.

Explorer
2vp per continent you have at least 1 building on (especially useful for the F&I map which has 6 continents, though the main map also has 4 continents))
Encourages: spreading out across the map.
Discourages: staying in 1 place
Connection required. (I think thematically that makes the most sense)

Captain of the seas (18/12/6 vp)
Count the number of sea spaces you can reach with your shipping.
Encourages: Upgrading shipping, building along the river, Spreading out.
Discourages, Building inwards.
(problems (?) : Fakirs/Dwarves have 0 shipping, Riverwalkers max 1, and (though not necessarily an issue) mermaids max 5)
Connection not required. (though you could argue differently)

Solitude / safehouse / (think of a good name)
2vp per building that does not border any opponents' buildings.
Encourages: building away from other players
Discourages: building next to other players
Connection not required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
^Interesting! I like some of the ideas also. LOL, there might not be anything else the designers could come up with by the time we are finished!

I still have not edited in this topic:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1351397/alternative-sco...

That will actually change some of the credits in my summary post and add in a few new ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.