Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I looked at getting Dimona, but she seems both weak and boring to me. What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Grenier
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5 Spellboards can be really powerful. Her ability is quite interesting too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wynne
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Wynners Circle Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I started to work with her but recently got busy and have not gotten back into deckbuilding as of late. Once I get the Leo/Victoria expansions I will work with her again. I love her ability and want to find a way to make it crazy. I will try to keep you guys informed with my progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Ridinger
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its more she doesn't drum up as much excitement as some of the other Phoenixborn. She has good stats and interesting ability, though her unique is a little underwhelming. She did make a few showings at GenCon, particularly in draft format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me the issue is that her unique unit is inherently situational, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think her power and your unique ally lacks synergy. Her unit can remove multiple exhaustion tokens, so I'd rather she had the ability to move a token from a creature she controls, to another creature she controls.

A 3/3 is great, but compared to similar atk/life allies he's rather blah. Not horrible, just not exciting. His actual power is extremely circumstantial.

In addition, her ability and her unique both take up a fair amount of dice.

Just what I see looking at it-- not horrible, but not a PB I'd pick over any other one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Ariel
Canada
flag msg tools
She may seem boring, but my suspicion is that she's actually on the overpowered side. It's pointless to Steady Gaze a Rayward, which can become a nearly eternal unit with a few alterations. Further, if she builds a battlefield of big-damage units and holds on to 2 basic, she can get some lethal swings in after her opponent passes for the round. Or she can use butterfly monks repeatedly to block for her threats (say a Hammer Knight, Rayward, or Bear- anything that will draw aggro), which will simultaneously keep your big units free while killing your Monks for the health bonus. All in all, I think she's a really powerful PB if you're playing a unit oriented strategy, and she's especially good against control decks. Is she worth going out of your way to buy? No. Don't support Plaid Hat's promo B.S. If you happen to get her from an organized play thing though, enjoy- you can probably build some pretty cool decks with her.

Edit: something else I think makes her special is that she's not tied to any magic school. That means you can take her decks in any direction you like. If she's too expensive for you, you can run ceremonial/illusion (Expand Energy/Hidden Power) to promote efficiency, or you can load up big units and alterations with nature dice. Or maybe you want to run Hypno- charm is perfectly suited to buffing units and getting those hits in. Plus, with everything costing basics, you never need to meditate to play a Dimona card, freeing up your precious class and power dice to support your key cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kozlowski
United States
Schererville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They could easily make her much more playable with some very simple cards. Anything that allows you to stack Exhaustion tokens on to one of your units would do the trick. Like say an attachment that has some strong effect but adds an extra exhaustion token to the unit whenever it attacks or blocks. In a normal deck that would mean you could only use it every other turn, but Dimona could get around the limitation. Or maybe a spellboard card that exhausts itself to move an exhaustion token from one unit to another.

Simple things like that would make a world of difference for her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.