Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Epstein
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross posted from Consimworld:

Played a few turns of a f2f game today with my buddy Dennis at the newly relocated Battleground Games store in Norton, Mass.

All in all, we thought it was an excellent and elegant game, and really captured the attritional dynamics of Vietnam small unit actions.

Several questions came up:

First: in Game Turn One, the rules say that only in that turn can a leader be targeted and receive the first hit in ranged small arms infantry combat. So the NVA player shoots at US platoons in an area, rolls a six, and wounds a leader. In the return fire, can the US target a Vietnamese officer, as it is still Game Turn 1? Obviously the US has no action chits in the coffee mug in the first turn, so they don't initiate a firefight, only react.

Second: speaking of chits, what are the six extra chits on each side used for? They're not in the reinforcement schedule and as there are only six slots for each side anyway, I don't understand why they're there.

Third: just verifying that it's possible for a unit group to use both chits as move or fire, that if the first draw is fire, the second could also be fire, and doesn't have to be move, etc.

Fourth: we were confused by the transition space enroute to Firebase Columbus-- we understood that a NVA or US unit exits the east side of the map and stays in the transition zone, then another activation would march them to Columbus. What about coming back to the map? On the map it says to anywhere on the transition circle, and the rules say from Columbus a unit goes back to the map, and my opponent interpreted it as you skip the transition zone and drop back on the east edge in one move activation... Or could they go, as the map printing says, to anywhere on the map, like the Viet Cong tunnels during Tet,?

Fifth: The "unit" that is affected by die rolls one, two, and four on the Choi Oi Table: is that the entire company that you put the yellow markers on, or just a platoon-- a single counter? Same with the move off in the wrong direction if a three is rolled-- one counter-- a platoon-- or the whole company? And what if the companies are intermingled after fighting and general confusion?

Sixth: in the illustrated fire example on page R9, the last paragraph on Third Chit, Example B, has the US player performing a leader casualty check after the targeted NVA platoon returns small arms fire. I thought you only rolled a separate leader casualty check for mortar or artillery attacks, not infantry. Was wondering if this last paragraph of the example should be deleted?

Finally: a unit is activated to move, and enters an enemy position to initiate melee. Does the melee occur immediately as part of the move activation, or do you need to pull a fire chit later to fight in the disputed area?

Thanks, guys, for another great issue game -- we house ruled our own interpretations and it didn't majorly affect our enjoyment-- we just wondered about "official " interpretations-- even with a little rules ambiguity the game seemed very thematic and felt right as a simulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First: in Game Turn One, the rules say that only in that turn can a leader be targeted and receive the first hit in ranged small arms infantry combat. So the NVA player shoots at US platoons in an area, rolls a six, and wounds a leader. In the return fire, can the US target a Vietnamese officer, as it is still Game Turn 1? Obviously the US has no action chits in the coffee mug in the first turn, so they don't initiate a firefight, only react.

Nope, sorry, Matt. This rule was to reflect the fact that the communist officers and troops trained their fire on their best targets of opportunity before signalling their attack. The same was not the case in reverse.

Second: speaking of chits, what are the six extra chits on each side used for? They're not in the reinforcement schedule and as there are only six slots for each side anyway, I don't understand why they're there.

Good question, I don't either. It wasn't planned that way - just overlooked. I would suggest that if you wanted to vary play, you start the game with 6 NVA Move/Fire chits aqnd when you add the US chits add 6 instead of 4 ... just to shake things up. Ignore the remaining chits. Just set them aside as extras when your cat starts batting pieces around or your dog eats them. Oh and if you do what I suggest - when the Adrenaline chit is added and one side or the other has drawn and used four chits AND the Adrenaline chit, the remaining chits for that side would simply be drawn and ignored.

Third: just verifying that it's possible for a unit group to use both chits as move or fire, that if the first draw is fire, the second could also be fire, and doesn't have to be move, etc.

You are correct. I went back and forth about that and thought that it offers players more choice the way it is now.

Fourth: we were confused by the transition space enroute to Firebase Columbus-- we understood that a NVA or US unit exits the east side of the map and stays in the transition zone, then another activation would march them to Columbus. What about coming back to the map? On the map it says to anywhere on the transition circle, and the rules say from Columbus a unit goes back to the map, and my opponent interpreted it as you skip the transition zone and drop back on the east edge in one move activation... Or could they go, as the map printing says, to anywhere on the map, like the Viet Cong tunnels during Tet,?

No, the intention was to move from the transition circle to an area adjacent to the east side of the map. "Any area" should continue to say "on the east side of the map."

Fifth: The "unit" that is affected by die rolls one, two, and four on the Choi Oi Table: is that the entire company that you put the yellow markers on, or just a platoon-- a single counter? Same with the move off in the wrong direction if a three is rolled-- one counter-- a platoon-- or the whole company? And what if the companies are intermingled after fighting and general confusion?

No, the intention was to affect only one platoon. Bad decisions / bad luck occurred but it did not blanket everyone. I don't follow your final question here.

Sixth: in the illustrated fire example on page R9, the last paragraph on Third Chit, Example B, has the US player performing a leader casualty check after the targeted NVA platoon returns small arms fire. I thought you only rolled a separate leader casualty check for mortar or artillery attacks, not infantry. Was wondering if this last paragraph of the example should be deleted?

Ah, I see your confusion and I understand why. The intention here was to have an officer casualty check after every weapons engagement but it was left out of the Infantry Fire Procedure on page R6. This is my fault. I should have caught the gaff. whistle

Finally: a unit is activated to move, and enters an enemy position to initiate melee. Does the melee occur immediately as part of the move activation, or do you need to pull a fire chit later to fight in the disputed area?

You are right. this is not clear under Melee Combat. It should say that "Melees takes place in all areas containing platoons controlled by opposing players at the conclusion of all movement for the company whose chit has just been drawn."

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Epstein
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much, John, for a great game-- and thank you even more for the extremely rapid and clear and concise responses to our questions--

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Row
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Actually it appears to have been planned at one point to use the extra move or fire chits. The set-up rules specifically mention the extras and reference a no-longer existent rule on how to use the chits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.