Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings.

Sadly several of my main gaming buddies have moved away from me, and skype is our main option for games with them.

I am looking for suggestions of games that I can get that can be played via skype that will not require any change in play structure and not require my friends to own the game.

So far we have had great success with Codenames and Spyfall as those games do not require components to be passed around.

Any suggestions for other skype compatable games are appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dillon
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vassal and Skype go together very nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
how about signing up for www.boardgamearena.com Its free, and they have a library of games that you can play. The built in communication software is text chatting, but I imagine you could run a skype session in another window and all Skype while playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dungeons and Dragons!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ace of Aces, any edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to jokingly suggest Hanabi. Because only voice would require you to look at your hand to tell the others what you have. But then I realised that skype is more famous for video and the joke's on me instead.

So seriously, Hanabi would probably work alright. Especially if you made up some sheet where everyone can make a note of what cards have been played and a single player was in charge of book keeping the clue tokens.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
Charades cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jonatanrullman wrote:
I was going to jokingly suggest Hanabi. Because only voice would require you to look at your hand to tell the others what you have. But then I realised that skype is more famous for video and the joke's on me instead.

So seriously, Hanabi would probably work alright. Especially if you made up some sheet where everyone can make a note of what cards have been played and a single player was in charge of book keeping the clue tokens.

Cheers

hmm.. I don't think Hanabi would work. How would they hold the cards? The OP requested games which wouldn't require his friends to own the game, (i.e. not require purchase of multiple copies). You'd have to figure out a way to display 3-4 hands of cards to the monitors only showing the correct hands to the correct person. so it would require multiple cameras... Even allowing multiple copies of the games, how would you ensure that the deck was split randomly between the different players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to come up with a way of playing Hanabi 3-player with a single copy of the game, 2 card stands (for the remote players' cards), 2 mirrors (so I can see the remote players' cards) and two devices with Skype on so I can have a separate Skype call with each of the remote players. It's a lot of setup and I'm not sure if the two remote players could communicate effectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, That's My Fish! if you can come up with an easy way for the remote players to describe their moves (6 directions - North, North East, South East, South, South West, North West + distance).

The Resistance if you can figure out a way of letting everyone know their roles (deal cards to each player, hold them up to the camera one at a time making sure you don't see the card and only one player sees it). As pointed out below you can't submit the mission card over Skype!

Most abstract strategy game (but they are usually 2 player)

Anything with no hidden information and where you can get all the information to show up clearly on the remote players' screens. The following might work (though you would have to move pieces for people):

Hare and Tortoise - as long as you play with money (carrots) open info

Eight-Minute Empire (describing where people wanted to move armies might be difficult - making a copy of the board with counties having some obvious distinguishing feature (e.g. a letter) might make it playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
I managed to come up with a way of playing Hanabi 3-player with a single copy of the game, 2 card stands (for the remote players' cards), 2 mirrors (so I can see the remote players' cards) and two devices with Skype on so I can have a separate Skype call with each of the remote players. It's a lot of setup and I'm not sure if the two remote players could communicate effectively.

You'd also have to have 2 webcams. because you can't show both players the same thing.

Cam 1 - Your cards & Player B's Cards
Cam 2 - Your cards & Player A's Cards

Seems like a lot of trouble when you could just log onto http://www.Boardgamearena.com and let their software control the cards and piece movements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
D&D, Pathfinder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of The Resistance.
Any game where you can just hold up a card to the screen and put it down again would play very smoothly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
I like the idea of The Resistance.
Any game where you can just hold up a card to the screen and put it down again would play very smoothly.

... and have a hard time looking at the other players because not everyone playing will be on camera and/or won't get subtleties that won't translate through the computer screen?

It would work, but not very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Codenames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
35.94%
badge
The phone's tapped anyway
mbmbmbmbmb
glouie wrote:
how about signing up for www.boardgamearena.com Its free, and they have a library of games that you can play. The built in communication software is text chatting, but I imagine you could run a skype session in another window and all Skype while playing the game.

This is what I do with a friend. We just chat on Skype while playing stuff on BGA. We also have played a bit on the actual tabletop, but it was stuff that we both owned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases

Each side will need a copy of the game, but the play doesn't change at all. It's just people sitting around a table discussing the days news and following up on leads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glouie wrote:
You'd also have to have 2 webcams. because you can't show both players the same thing.

Yes, I was assuming my two devices both had webcams. I'd guess many people have at least two devices they can do a skype video on. Hanabi via Skype is clearly not that practical though.

zabdiel wrote:
Hare & Tortoise - as long as you play with money (carrots) open info

Wait, what? I meant Hare & Tortoise. Oh, Hare & Tortoise has been renamed to Around the World in 80 Days due to a new version coming out with that name? That makes no sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
The Resistance if you can figure out a way of letting everyone know their roles (deal cards to each player, hold them up to the camera one at a time making sure you don't see the card and only one player sees it).

What about missions then? I'd say playing resistance over Skype needs a moderator to deal with roles and missions. You could play resistance on some websites and irc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhsa wrote:
What about missions then? I'd say playing resistance over Skype needs a moderator to deal with roles and missions. You could play resistance on some websites and irc.

Erm... blush you've got me there, I clearly didn't think that through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Chess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any game that has a digital implementation (like Ascension for iOS). Async games can easily be done in real time for that matter.

MIDEDIT: you mentioned they don't need to own a copy of it... it's got a pass and play mode

For "boxed versions" of games...
Roll Through The Bronze/Late Bronze/Iron Age. One person will need to do all the dice rolling though. Player sheets can be printed out, or just available online as a reference, and the player board states can be available as some "broadcast".

PS. Sorry to hear you lost your gaming buddies. I lost all of them when I moved out of one region, and then another. For one region, they suggested I play on BoardGameArena, which is also where some of them get in some of their gaming, to supplement what we already did IRL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Walker
Australia
flag msg tools
3+4MoreFun
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games work if you have a copy each, and it's usually more satisfying than a digital implementation in my experience. I've played battlestar Galactica and dominant species like this.

If you want to play a hidden information game, just turn off the video showing your screen if you run the game. Then the other person can say, I play the card in the middle, or an equivalent.

Good luck, though I'm sure you'll be fine. If you find yourself getting lost in board states frequently, use more words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.