Hide
11 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Damage & Insanity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Cart
msg tools
I was a play tester who loved the app, game improvements, etc. though never quite liked the new damage card system. Mostly this was because it was harder to quickly tell how much damage people had sustained...it was always easier to count chits than cards. I'm not sure why they didn't just keep the chits and then have a player draw a trauma card equivalent whenever a face-up card should be drawn...something like that. Also, it cluttered the space around each investigator more than I thought necessary. Has anyone else found these to be issues (albeit slight)?

Insanity we found a little problematic as well, only in that not all players had the courage to switch roles to betray the others if needed. I've also run into this issue in the 1st edition, Green-Eyed Boy. I sort of wish the app handled insanity as well, telling the afflicted person how to behave each turn. Perhaps in a future version...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CabotArt wrote:
I was a play tester who loved the app, game improvements, etc. though never quite liked the new damage card system. Mostly this was because it was harder to quickly tell how much damage people had sustained...it was always easier to count chits than cards.

Is it really that difficult to tell how many cards of X type you have sitting in front of you? I mean, you aren't supposed to stack them, right? They should be spread out (where chits can stack).

Quote:
I'm not sure why they didn't just keep the chits and then have a player draw a trauma card equivalent whenever a face-up card should be drawn...something like that.

Presumably because then the player would need to track two elements that were effectively the same thing (chit for absolute value, and card for definition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just personal preference, but I actually prefer cards over chits in this case. Instead of hunting around for chits that have the correct value on them I need, I simply draw cards equal to the amount of damage I have. Plus building in the trauma effects into the cards themselves is kind of interesting. It adds more tension since any time you take damage (that isn't facedown)you may take a serious injury. Where in first edition you could only worry about really bad traumas when your health was significantly low (and assuming the keeper had appropriate trauma cards to play).

As far as insanity, and not having the courage to turn on the team, that's more of an issue with the players than the game itself. If your win conditions change (via insanity) you are meant to play however you need to to try to win. If you aren't playing to win, then you aren't playing the game as intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure as I play more, it will become more second nature, but I don't always properly hand out Damage or Horror correctly (face up vs. face down). Yes, I know it will always say "face down," otherwise you always do face up, but for some reason I always want to automatically distribute the cards face down. This is a mechanic that is also used in X-Wing the Miniatures game.

Regarding your second point, I know it adds to the theme, but I may poll whatever group I'm playing with beforehand and maybe remove the cards that have the nastiest traitor elements. Some people like that sort of thing, but other times I'd really just like to play a fully co-op game where I don't have to worry about my character literally getting stabbed in the back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course you are welcome to do whatever you like for your own game, but that right there is part of the beauty of the insanity mechanic. If you don't want one of your party members to possibly snap and turn on you, then you need to try your best to keep them from going insane in the first place. But when dealing with Lovecraftian horror, that may not be possible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite mechanics in this design is the card/damage system. It's a play on the damage system for X-Wing (normal damage is a card face down, critical damage is a card face up with effect). Where MoM takes it a step further is that things require you to flip damage face up so you have to randomize which card flips up and you may hit a "no further effect, flip face down" or you may hit something else really bad. It's brilliant.

As for insanity, that's a player issue, not a game issue. You can't have the game tell you what to do because then it takes away the mystery. That would be awful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I really like the cards, and the additional effects they have, and how sometimes flipped-down cards can bite you later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I only played one game so far (solo) but I absolutely love the new damage mechanisms. It is really worrying to see the rows growing. The face up/face down mechanism is a stroke of genius. The ever increasing risk of face down cards turning face up, adding extra handicaps, really heightens the tension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cart
msg tools
Again, these are minor issues I'm voicing...one player's cards got jostled during one of our sessions, and it seemed like the clutter with these types of games is usually best kept to a minimum.

Indeed the insanity thing is certainly a player issue, but not everyone has the full will to work against their partners after working with them for most of the game. Some people are too kind spirited to be ruthless, and I don't really like vetting people to make sure they can handle it. I don't think the app handling it would take away the mystery so much as add to it. Every turn there could be section just intended for the insane player's eyes. It might say behave normally, move away from monsters, attack anyone within range, light a fire, etc. I think people would get more paranoid about the insane investigator. Insanity should reflect a level of losing control...having the app handle it means the investigator in question is truly compromised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
CabotArt wrote:
Again, these are minor issues I'm voicing...one player's cards got jostled during one of our sessions, and it seemed like the clutter with these types of games is usually best kept to a minimum.

Indeed the insanity thing is certainly a player issue, but not everyone has the full will to work against their partners after working with them for most of the game. Some people are too kind spirited to be ruthless, and I don't really like vetting people to make sure they can handle it. I don't think the app handling it would take away the mystery so much as add to it. Every turn there could be section just intended for the insane player's eyes. It might say behave normally, move away from monsters, attack anyone within range, light a fire, etc. I think people would get more paranoid about the insane investigator. Insanity should reflect a level of losing control...having the app handle it means the investigator in question is truly compromised.

Kinda boring for the player to just carry out the wishes of the app, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CabotArt wrote:

Indeed the insanity thing is certainly a player issue, but not everyone has the full will to work against their partners after working with them for most of the game.

Just make sure people are aware of this possibility before the game begins. Encourage people to look at the experience as more of a story than a competitive win/lose/min/max Euro styled game. Encourage role playing a bit before the start of the session and people should fall in line. In essence, this is more a human perspective problem than a mechanical deficiency.

Anyhoo, if the app mandated a "for your eyes only" kind of moment, that would force the device to be handed around, and I think FFG was wise to minimize the need for that kind of thing.

(it's perfectly fine to pass the game around, but making it an obligatory part of the process would have been a poor choice -- some people project on TVs, for example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.