Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JOE LIBRANDI
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the point of Confederate Tribal Indians since they can only raid enemy cities/stockades and all cities stockades outside of Texas are neutral?

Or can both sides raid in New Mexico/Indian Territory for VPs even if they are neutral?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Finkenbinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall correctly, the CSA-controlled Indians can raid into Kansas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOE LIBRANDI
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that there are four stockades in Kansas that the Confederate Tribal Indians can raid.

Does this mean that stockades/cities in Indian Territory/New Mexico cannot be raided since they're neutral?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Hernandez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
As the rules stand, stockades in New Mexico should be able to be raided, but I would recommend that the New Mexico Territory and El Paso (Fort Bliss) be out of play, the forces there ignored (maybe allow the Confederate SP in El Paso to move east in late 1862), and the Union player receive the victory points for controlling the New Mexico Territory (including El Paso).

One thing that always struck me about the Far West map was how badly VG screwed up New Mexico.

Valverde is the location of a ford across the Rio Grande, which was fordable in many places including Albuquerque, and is in no way a strategic location.

The real strategic locations to control were Albuquerque, Santa Fe (the territorial capital) and Fort Union (modern Las Vegas, NM), which is off map. As it stands, there is no reason for the Texans to meet their fate at Glorieta Pass.

Albuquerque was on the east side of the Rio Grande, not the west. (This remained true until the early 20th century, when the city annexed areas west of the river.)

The Sandia and Manzano Mountains, east of Albuquerque, and Tijeras Canyon, a pass through the Sandia Mountains directly east of Albuquerque, are all missing.

Almost all of the terrain on the west side of the Rio Grande is fairly rugged, not "clear" as depicted.

The forces engaged in New Mexico were too small to be depicted in the game. This includes the troops that forced-marched from Colorado to precipitate the action at Glorieta Pass as well as the California Column, neither of which appears in the game.

As the rules stand, the Union SP in New Mexico is penalized for not having a leader present, which is patently ridiculous as most of the territory was pro-Union (and even the physical area of the Confederate territory of Arizona consisted of the southern portion of the New Mexico Territory; again, most people there were pro-Union). Besides, the area was too sparsely populated. Both sides should be able to move freely within the New Mexico Territory without a leader.

The native situation is also different. There were no Apache raids (in fact, the Mescalero Apaches voluntarily settled in New Mexico during the war, having cannily inspected the land offered to them by the US government before agreeing). The various Pueblo Indians (not depicted) were pro-Union and some volunteered to fight the Navajos (also not depicted and off map to the northwest). After the Texans were kicked out, the US Army mounted an expedition against the Navajos, who surrendered when mountain howitzers were brought into position against their stronghold; like many others throughout history, the Navajos thought their position unassailable.

If the Far West option is used in scenarios after 1862, the Union receives the victory points for New Mexico (all strategic locations are Union-controlled), there is one Union SP in El Paso in addition to those specified in the scenario, and there are no Confederate SPs in New Mexico or the Texas Panhandle. This is not reflected in the scenarios, although that was the historical situation.

For me, I leave New Mexico and the SPs there out of the game, and simply award the VPs for it to the Union. There are too many flaws to fix. I lived in Albuquerque for 30 years and so know the history and geography of the area reasonably well.

Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.