Hide
8 Posts

Via Nebula» Forums » General

Subject: Best Game from GenCon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hans Solo
msg tools
My friends and I demo'd a lot of games at GenCon, and this was the only game we immediately bought after playing. We were able to get a firm grasp of the rules, and play half of a game in the amount of time it took to go through the Cry Havoc demo, which was pretty much just the *basic* rules explanation. ([It also helped that Martin Wallace just happened to step up as we sat down and he demo'd the game for us, and then signed the copies we bought.)

I played with two other friends, one of which is a diehard boardgamer, another who is a novice boardgamer, and myself (fairly committed boardgamer). We were all able to get the flow of the game down quickly, and even though the diehard gamer won, it wasn't a huge blowout. There's a good mixture of strategy mixed with a little bit of luck.

We played another game or two after we bought it. Both games were on the beginner side of the board, and both played great. New people played each time and they all enjoyed it.

TLDR: Easy to learn and play, but still has some good strategy elements. 10/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's the hit of the summer. I didn't mind paying a few dollars extra to get it out of Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's easily going to make my top five games of 2016.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bayden Hammond
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
I love the smell of cardboard in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree! A great game with such great production value too. And it fills a real sweet spot in my collection: a solid eurogame that (i) plays in an hour; and (ii) can be enjoyed by any level of gamer, from beginner to experienced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
Huge MW fan. Played today at flgs and found the game ubermediocre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Alexander
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
beef
badge
sack
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Huge MW fan. Played today at flgs and found the game ubermediocre.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot Martin Wallace fans weren't into this, it's a pretty large departure from his previous work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of Martin's family-weight games have been fairly mediocre. In the past, a lot of his "designs for hire" games have been fairly mediocre.

But I think that Via Nebula is a really good game - tense decisions between limited actions, the need to sort of co-operate with your opponents whilst needing to thwart them too, simple rules clearly laid out, good-looking components; it's his best non-Treefrog/non-Warfrog game that I can think of. Except perhaps the "Railways of the World" series - but they are aimed at very different audiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill J
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I agree with the OP about the quality of the game. It keeps the core mechanics (pickup/deliver; development spaces/cities; and route building) that he has used in other games. But, he removes money altogether, tile direction routes and tile scarcity. Add in some special powers that emerge when different types of cities are built and there you have it. The nice thing about this formulation is that kids and families could play this. While other games that use these features exist with greater complexity and history, they are not as likely to hit the family game table. This game is a winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.