Antike Duellum» Forums » Variants

Subject: Shorter game – more important capitals rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For each of your opponent's capitals you control, you need one less VP to win the game.

This is pretty thematic (these cities get more important and you put more effort into protecting them), can make the game shorter and – even when it does not – creates tension around these cities from the beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
4 games with this variant and I think it works brilliantly! (never played without it, I must admit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocky Pierce
United States
West Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
For each of your opponent's capitals you control, you need one less VP to win the game.

I have played Antike II and love it. I don't have this game, yet, but's it's on the way. I've read the rules twice and searched the rules online and I don't see the term capital. What do you mean opponent's capitals you control? By capitals do you mean cities or walled cities or cities with temples or all 3? By control do you have taken over or have a guy in it? Or...I just thought of this...do you mean the 3 cities they start off with are the capitals? Why not just say you get a VP for taking over one of the capitals rather than saying it takes one less VP to win? It's the same difference and it's easier to keep track of. I like the idea and the theme it brings, but not sure what you mean? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocky Pierce
United States
West Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found the answer in another post. The 3 starting cities are the "Capitals" I'll play the regular game and then maybe introduce this later. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Correct – your opponent’s capitals are the three cities they start with. You control them if they are your colour (you have conquered them and they currently produce for you).

Rpierce1892 wrote:
Why not just say you get a VP for taking over one of the capitals rather than saying it takes one less VP to win?
Because you could conquer the city (1VP), lose it, take it back (again 1VP) and so on, so it’s not the same at all.

Plus, scoring 1VP implies that 1) you go up the scoring track and possibly get a town wall 2) your opponent takes a card 3) you take a personality (and there are no personalities for owned capitals)

Counting 9VP − owned opponent’s capitals works easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocky Pierce
United States
West Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh, you're right. I forgot about the extra little bits in Duellum with the walls and cards. That does make since now. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.