United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a lot that's great about this design. I love the card damage mechanic, the app is really well done, the feel and ambiance is brilliant (if you aren't playing with sound going through a high end audio source, you are really missing out). There's one very small part of the app I'd change though.

When passing a test with a pass/fail mechanic (so not "X negates") I'd love to see the pass and fail results hidden with buttons to indicate you passed or failed. Roll the test, click pass or fail, read the results. It would add a layer of mystery and make things a bit more interesting. I know why they did it. From a gameplay perspective, knowing if you NEED to pass or can afford to fail will dictate if you spend clues or focused effects. But I also think the knowledge of the test informs that and forcing you to make the decision first can be very tense.

Anyway, all around this game is a huge success, that's just a neat thing I'd like to see. Definitely not mandatory, but perhaps a tick box that you can enable if you want to (think Dead of Winter Crossroads app, choosing to read options without results).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+ Multiple Save Slots.

+ Undo button.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually agree, since I always played that way as keeper in first edition. I would present the test, but I wouldn't say what the consequences were till they actually did the test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan M. K.
Denmark
flag msg tools
Agree, my thoughts exactly after our first play through. At the very least some legibility improvements to the way the PASS/FAIL results are presented would be great. Breaking the paragraph up with a couple of linebreaks and bolding of keywords would make a huge difference
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this would be a good idea. Actually I kind of have a similar house rule, when I read the app to my family I don't read out the consequences or the pass conditions, just the test roll they need to make. I think it makes it better and no one has complained for a change since I let them know that's how I'm doing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Braskey

Royse Ciyt
Texas
msg tools
Yes, just tell me the results after I either Pass or Fail.
FFG was probably trying to keep the amount of clicks as low as possible, but this seems worth the effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
The whole testing mechanic is undermined if players don't know what to consider a successful roll before finding out the results. The challenge of the game is just about right. Not being able to make informed decisions on when to spend your clue tokens would really unbalance it. They may as well just do away with that whole mechanic as it would be worthless. I doubt it's ever even been considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we're a bit dim, but I'd really like a way to track who has had their turn. Turns are quite quick, but can be broken up by app and reading, so we keep forgetting who just acted blush and whether my turn was just before the Mythos phase or whether it's my turn now, or didn't I just investigate that, or was that last turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
The whole testing mechanic is undermined if players don't know what to consider a successful roll before finding out the results. The challenge of the game is just about right. Not being able to make informed decisions on when to spend your clue tokens would really unbalance it. I doubt it's ever even been considered.

Umm... Except that some tests in the app are already like this. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:
The whole testing mechanic is undermined if players don't know what to consider a successful roll before finding out the results. The challenge of the game is just about right. Not being able to make informed decisions on when to spend your clue tokens would really unbalance it. I doubt it's ever even been considered.

Key word: 'some'. Not 'all' or 'the majority'. And generally they're trivial ones that can be attempted again for a successful outcome, not ones essential to killing monsters or countering / avoiding damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:

Key word: 'some'. Not 'all' or 'the majority'. And generally they're trivial ones, not ones essential to killing monsters or countering / avoiding damage.

But it has, at least, been considered (and implemented).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:

Key word: 'some'. Not 'all' or 'the majority'. And generally they're trivial ones, not ones essential to killing monsters or countering / avoiding damage.

But it has, at least, been considered (and implemented).

Okay, I will amend my sentence: "I doubt having hidden success /failure results for all tests was ever considered".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
Maybe we're a bit dim, but I'd really like a way to track who has had their turn. Turns are quite quick, but can be broken up by app and reading, so we keep forgetting who just acted blush and whether my turn was just before the Mythos phase or whether it's my turn now, or didn't I just investigate that, or was that last turn?

Use the 6 Symbol tokens, or any other type of chit. When you've taken your turn take one of the tokens. That way you don't lose track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wish there was a clearer sense on the "time remaining". We never know if we're supposed to be rushing, or have a breather and can take some time doing more searches, etc.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
The whole testing mechanic is undermined if players don't know what to consider a successful roll before finding out the results. The challenge of the game is just about right. Not being able to make informed decisions on when to spend your clue tokens would really unbalance it. They may as well just do away with that whole mechanic as it would be worthless. I doubt it's ever even been considered.

Hence why I said it would be nice if it were an option. If you were fine with the increased difficulty and willing to trade it for a heightened thematic experience, than you can turn it on. If not, don't. I'm not trying to change the game for everyone, just for those who would like it that way.

shnar wrote:
I really wish there was a clearer sense on the "time remaining". We never know if we're supposed to be rushing, or have a breather and can take some time doing more searches, etc.

I like this aspect. Less information means increased tension and a more thematic experience. All these seem like fun options to include that can be toggled on or off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
shnar wrote:

I like this aspect. Less information means increased tension and a more thematic experience. All these seem like fun options to include that can be toggled on or off.

Yeah, but I wish there was some sense of urgency. Sometimes the game is good at suggesting "Hurry up" (Escape from Innsmouth did a good job with that), sometimes it's very quiet and you have no clue, only to find out BOOM! Ritual is done! Wait, what ritual?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Edwards
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
The whole testing mechanic is undermined if players don't know what to consider a successful roll before finding out the results.

I dont think that's what the OP is suggesting. You'd still know how many successes you'd need to pass, just not what the consequences of failing would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cloud64 wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:
The whole testing mechanic is undermined if players don't know what to consider a successful roll before finding out the results.

I dont think that's what the OP is suggesting. You'd still know how many successes you'd need to pass, just not what the consequences of failing would be.

I didn't read it that way, but definitely agree with this. You should for certain know what you need to succeed. What you won't know is whether or not you should spend clues to avoid the negative result. You might be fine with the result to keep the clues for something. That's the choice you have to make and why it increases the difficulty slightly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they NEVER add an undo button. I'm afraid it would break the game, because then we'd find ourselves tempted to peek into a door and then undo if it looked like something we couldn't handle, etc.

Because there's no undo, decisions matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

zpeteman wrote:
I hope they NEVER add an undo button. I'm afraid it would break the game, because then we'd find ourselves tempted to peek into a door and then undo if it looked like something we couldn't handle

O, grow some will skill, please.

Seriously, I understand your concern but an undo-last-action button is really necessary. Sometimes you accidentally click or tap on the wrong spot and at present there's no coming back from that. That sucks. Even a limited set of undo-actions (say three or even just two) would go a long way to avoid disaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICE 0ne
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Eldritch Horror, you're suppose to read up to a test or decision and then stop until it's resolved. I imagine that's the intent here, for whoever has the app to only read to the test. An issue arises when you project the app onto a tv and everyone can read the entire text. That's my reasoning for wanting to see it separated with pass/fail buttons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ICE 0ne wrote:
In Eldritch Horror, you're suppose to read up to a test or decision and then stop until it's resolved.

That's not at all the rule in Eldritch Horror. I believe that's an optional rule in the RRG, but it's not the default rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:

zpeteman wrote:
I hope they NEVER add an undo button. I'm afraid it would break the game, because then we'd find ourselves tempted to peek into a door and then undo if it looked like something we couldn't handle

O, grow some will skill, please. :)

Seriously, I understand your concern but an undo-last-action button is really necessary. Sometimes you accidentally click or tap on the wrong spot and at present there's no coming back from that. That sucks. Even a limited set of undo-actions (say three or even just two) would go a long way to avoid disaster.

How about a confirm button (in a different spot than the option)? "You've opted to drop all of your items and run away. Is that what you really want to do?"

Sure, extra clicks, and makes it feel like playing "Who wants to be a Millionaire?", but could avoid some fatfinger errors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
I wouldnt mind adding some sort of timer for the puzzles too tho.. adds to the suspense..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICE 0ne
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
ICE 0ne wrote:
In Eldritch Horror, you're suppose to read up to a test or decision and then stop until it's resolved.

That's not at all the rule in Eldritch Horror. I believe that's an optional rule in the RRG, but it's not the default rule.

Under hidden information, it's "recommended" someone else reads the card so as not to reveal the results of passing or failing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.