Matthew P
United States
Oak Creek
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for a game that is great with 2 players. Scales ok to 3 or 4 is a plus, too. Can be cutthroat if it is short enough to play multiple rounds. Thanks in advance!

Games we both keep coming back to:
-Kingdom Builder (we use only 2 of the 4 map pieces for 2 player)
-Jaiupur
-Cribbage
-Pandemic (We already are in a Legacy campaign.)

Games we both liked a lot but grew stale:
-Forbidden Island
-Hive
-Dungeon Roll
-Escape

Games I really like but not them:
-Baseball Highlights (They claim I burnt them out the first week we received it)
-Firefly (They had a terrible string of luck one game.)

Games I won't play because I can't ever beat them:
-Bananagrams
-Scattergories
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan is a great two player tableau building card game, scales up to four well. Plays in about 30-50 min.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
These all fit your criteria in our neck of the woods. We primarily play two players but occasionally game with another couple and when that happens these always work well:

Race for the Galaxy
Blue Moon City
Ascension: Deckbuilding Game
Madame Ching
7 Wonders

If you happen to be in the situation I'm in, all of these pass the "not ugly, boring, or obviously for boys" test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Istanbul

Splendor

Carcassonne

Legends of Andor

Rococo

The Voyages of Marco Polo

Fresco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arboretum works really well two player. But highly prone to AP. Scales well to 4.

Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries may be a little light for what you are after but it fits the time frame and is a lot of fun. UK works well too but that is an expansion that requires a base game. Nordic works for 3 not 4. UK works for 2 - 4.

7 Wonders Duel only 2.

Kodama: The Tree Spirits. I haven't played yet, but have watched a game. It looks like it will play well for 2 and is high on my want list. The game I watched was 4 player. It worked well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Splendor and Legends of Andor.

I also enjoy Thurn and Taxis and Vikings as two player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Kenigsberg

Dix Hills
New York
msg tools
Those are my game requirements as well. Biblios is a fun game and I agree with another comment that added San Juan. I'm interested in trying Battle Line and Port Royal, but can't yet recommend because I haven't played them. Tom gave Port Royal his recommendation and comments to his video say it's good with 2 players and scales up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Jensen
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with San Juan. My wife and I game by ourselves mostly and we just played Roll for the Galaxy and Orleans for the first time and we both liked them a lot. Orleans was a little easier to teach. We complete a game of each in about 45 min. And with the Orleans expansion, you could turn it into Co-op or solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension: Deckbuilding Game has been mentioned and I second it.
Star Realms is more agressive but should do it.
Mystic Vale is pretty good as a 2-player but might get stale fast.
Dark Dealings is just lovely! And plays well from 1 to 4.
ABXY is free to print and very interesting, especially with the Pokemon craze.
Mr. Jack Pocket would hurt your brain in a good way.
7 Wonders Duel is not my cup of tea but has met great success.

Splendor works well but might get stale fast as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Russell
United States
NEW YORK
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games that play 2+ players:
Arkadia
Finca or Seeland
+1 for Vikings
Haggis
Samurai

2 player only games:
Targi
Times Square
Aton
Magnate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cucco
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
I was going to ask something similar, but it seems silly to make another thread with a near identical topic. I'm just going to post my question here, because I think all the replies will help the OP as well.

Can people talk about medium weight games that are designed specifically for 2 players? I feel like in these threads people post a lot 2-6 player games that they play 2 players. I'm really only interested in games specifically designed for 2 players. To give an idea of the complexity I'm looking for-- heavier than patchwork or lost cities, but not as in-depth as twilight struggle.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Assuming that you still have them, maybe save some money and try some variants.

For Forbidden Island, there are some new layout variants. However, I'd still rather go with the mechanics of Forbidden Desert.

For Dungeon Roll, it still won't be medium weight but it'll give the game much better legs with the Active Dungeon Roll, Buffed Scrolls and Thematic Potions variant. Or try out the Shadow of the Light RPG which incorporates the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
+1s to San Juan and Targi.

Glass Road and Suburbia should work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Megasabin wrote:
I was going to ask something similar, but it seems silly to make another thread with a near identical topic. I'm just going to post my question here, because I think all the replies will help the OP as well.

Can people talk about medium weight games that are designed specifically for 2 players? I feel like in these threads people post a lot 2-6 player games that they play 2 players. I'm really only interested in games specifically designed for 2 players. To give an idea of the complexity I'm looking for-- heavier than patchwork or lost cities, but not as in-depth as twilight struggle.

Thanks

I think Targi fits that definition.. Also, Battle Line or Schotten Totten. they're also in the weight range you're looking at. as well as Android: Netrunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Megasabin wrote:
To give an idea of the complexity I'm looking for-- heavier than patchwork or lost cities, but not as in-depth as twilight struggle.

How about 13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis, a 30-45 min 2P game billed as "Twilight Struggle Lite". Dan King made a great review video for it:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/98648/13-days-cuban-miss...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Graves
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Most all I play is two player with the wife. We like thinky games with a bit of cutthroat.

Puerto Rico with the two player emperor favor variant described here on BGG.
Keyflower
Suburbia
San Juan is fun and quick, Puerto Rico lite
Castles of Burgundy
Patchwork is fun and quick
St Petersburg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
You've probably tried some of these, but

7 Wonders Duel
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
Dominion
Crokinole
Splendor
Ticket to Ride
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
Memoir '44
Galaxy Trucker
Ra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
You mentioned that both of you like Hive a lot but it has since grown stale. Have both of you tried it with any of the expansions, namely the Mosquito, Ladybug and Pillbug?

We dislike the Pillbug but find the Mosquito and Ladybug are excellent additions to the base game. Adding them does increase the starting player advantage, so we remove an Ant and a Grasshopper. This keeps the total number of pieces per player the same as the base game but it increases replayability tremendously. I've played Hive maybe 400+ times now and still don't find it repetitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you like competitive games? ABXY is free to print and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Turtle
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
My shell is bigger than your apartment
badge
Speed is overrated
mbmbmbmbmb
Broom Service is a very solid option imo an scales really well with all player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grand Austria Hotel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Viticulture Essential Edition. My girlfriend and I play a lot and we get a game done in an hour now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you fancy something a bit MTGy, me and the gf are loving Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn. The gameplay is very tight, the art is beautiful and it's a lot cheaper and easier to collect than MTG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.