29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: To buy or not : Dragon King for 300 with shipping rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
yoann arrouet
msg tools
Everything is in the title : I have access to Dragon King expansion for 300eur with shipping : would you go for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
No.

Don't encourage the scalpers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devlyn McConnell
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
Just hold off there is a confirmed reprint from poots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a fantastic play experience, but no, I don't think it's worth paying more than double retail to have it now instead of in a bit. Play the available materials, and you'll have something super-exciting to look forward to, a bit down the line.

And yeah, screw ridiculous scalping. I can stand some markup, but not >$100.

Unless it's someone who's really just selling off their unused games, in which case, it's still too much, but I don't blame them for the market being insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Atoka
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. I own it and I don't think its near worth that double markup. Buy a bunch of the other expansions for that cost instead if you're really jonesing for some more KD content.

Don't fall into "just because I can't get it now I must really have it" mentality. It will be getting a reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not, it is double the price. The expansions are also being reprinted along with the core game coming soon, according to gen con comments and interviews. While I paid more for after market, I only paid 1 and 1/2 price at the most for the expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lake Giles
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no negative opinions of reselling, but purely from a value perspective, I don't think it's worth double retail.

There is tons of content in the core game, and tons of content in the other (more available) expansions. Play those and hang tight for a cheaper Dragon King with the reprint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yoann arrouet
msg tools
Ahaha, OK I think everyone is OK that it's not OK ^^

I was thinking about the reprint but has it wasn't really specified if Dragon King would be part of it...

And no, the guy has really done a business around kickstarter : he is selling everything related to tabletop exclusives from kickstarter (selling Kdm, Zombicide, Zombicide BP,..). He even has 2 dragon Kings.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cohen
United States
Shrewsbury Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you know that you're going to want it eventually and you have the resources then I say do it. They are pretty rare and there is no guarantee of a reprint, or when it will be out if there is one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, there is an announced reprint, so, short of the official word being incorrect, it's happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cohen
United States
Shrewsbury Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Actually, there is an announced reprint, so, short of the official word being incorrect, it's happening.

That's good news! I wonder when it will be out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:

Can you link to the announced reprint of the expansions? As far as I know, the only thing official is the reprint of the base game.

I think you should. $300 is the going rate for DK right now so it's fine. I'm sure if you sit around and wait you might get one at $250, but it's unlikely you'll find a "used copy" since it's an expansion and ends up getting shuffled into the base game. The core game reprint has been announced, but without a timeline. We do know that KD is going to run another kickstarter for it and they're not going to be releasing more expansions before that happens. This was from a GenCon interview. Which means they don't have the cash flow to front another reprint of the core game (let alone the expansions) right now. Lets say we see the KS sometime this fall and best case, we see the core reprint happen Q1 or Q2 of next year (likely Q2 unless they hustle to get it done before Chinese New Year). Not that it will take as long as it did to design, but reprints, especially with so many different elements in the giant, heavy box, aren't just instantaneous.

So it's the middle of next year and the game comes out. Some amount of time has to pass for them to sell enough to be liquid again, to front the money for reprinting expansions. Lets say they do an order in Q3. Best case, again, is you're looking at Q4 or Q1. Which means, you can pay $300 today and have it next week to play with, or you can wait till early 2018, hope the price hasn't risen in two years due to inflationary effects, and pay $150.

I will throw one big asterisk on this break down...they might get wild and try to raise the money to reprint everything in one kickstarter. I have no idea what this might do to timelines because on the one hand, it would mean they have their money up front (assuming they can raise the funds...I think they can). On the other, it would mean they're trying to simultaneously reprint what constitutes over a dozen games and juggle logistics to ship it all out. So it might make the timeline shorter, but it might also make it longer. Who knows?

I'll throw another reason out there, going by my speculative timeline for reprinting the expansions, it assumes they don't get waylaid working on all those other projects Mr. Poots has outlined. Whose to say that they don't reprint the base game, then use the funding to push out the three expansions plus Lantern Festival that we know are under development? Then shift to that video game thing or the dungeon crawler or any other idea? Two years is a lot of time to not be working on new projects. So it might be 2019 or 2020 until we see a reprint of DK.

In the mean time, the price is going to go up while we wait with no official timeline. A year from now, if there's been no word of a reprint, I wouldn't be surprised to see DK around $400.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
spiralingcadaver wrote:

Can you link to the announced reprint of the expansions? As far as I know, the only thing official is the reprint of the base game.

I don't know of an official announcement in writing, but when asked in person whether the expansions were also being reprinted (at Gencon), Poots said: "Of course."

Source: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1616560/expansions-repri...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"If?" is a far far less important question than "when?". Especially for the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
300 is nuts. I wouldn't even consider it and to me its not worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely NO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Baker
France
Rennes
flag msg tools
Does someone has a link / video here it officialy says there will be a kickstarter for the reprint ?

From what i sa it's 50/50 in Poot mind about reprint for shop or for kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WilliamB wrote:
Does someone has a link / video here it officialy says there will be a kickstarter for the reprint ?

From what i sa it's 50/50 in Poot mind about reprint for shop or for kickstarter.

There is no official word that it will be a Kickstarter project. The latest word from Poots is that he hasn't decided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WilliamB wrote:

In this interview that dropped yesterday, he says that they will try to reprint the expansions to keep them in stock. The first one they're looking at is DK. But it sounds like it's behind the core reprint. He does mention that they're looking at a kickstarter and might bundle the DK reprint into it, but haven't decided if they're going the KS route or just selling through the webstore (presumably he means preordering through the store).

None of this has timelines attached it. It sounds like the reprint of the plastic for the base is in process, but the paper hasn't started yet. In the last big newletter (pre-GenCon) he did say with more definitive language that they were doing another kickstarter.

I still think they will because they need the liquidity to push out all the projects that are in process. My guess is we'll see a KS campaign either start or end on Black Friday because that's the tradition, but we won't hear anything definite until late September or into October. That's where my money is, at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cohen
United States
Shrewsbury Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a few Dragon Kings on eBay for $250. That seems to be the going rate at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehane Richards
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
The Dragon King is exquisite. The mini is so finely sculpted, the equipment is awesome, and the alternate campaign gives the game even more life. (Not that it needs it. You'd have to play the game for a looong time before you saw and did everything.)

That being said, no, it's not worth $300 when it will be reprinted sooner or later. There have been multiple reports of people asking Poots about the expansions and him telling them that they will be reprinted in the future.

My humble advice is to continue enjoying the game, be patient, and then add this fine expansion once it's back for sale at its standard price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 935272. iso250
  • 1d4 + 1d4 =
  • (4) + (1) =
  • Survivors left...
  • Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:54 pm
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WilliamB wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rnl-CPJ94Q

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ksiazekrzysztof wrote:
WilliamB wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rnl-CPJ94Q

Whoa, was he on his way to a job interview or something?

Seriously though, a lot more info in this one. It sounds like they've got the KS planned out far more than the "it could go either way" vibe coming from previous interviews.

Plus another hint that KD: Heroes is in process!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I REALLY hope they will not release any new material anytime soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Lloyd
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I managed to get one for $200 a few days ago off Ebay. The guy sold two of them at that price. I'm not saying it's going to happen again soon but deals do come along. I know, I encouraged the scalpers, but I'm not willing to wait around for reprints. Look how long the the Kickstarter stuff took to make it out compared to the intended release date. Funny thing is I saw KD:M during the Kickstarter and thought to myself "That looks amazing, I should really back that." I didn't because I had at that point recently been burned a couple times by other Kickstarter campaigns and didn't want to take the risk. I've spent significantly more to get the whole set at this point. Anyway, I know a lot of logistics have been worked out, so a reprint shouldn't take remotely as long. Still though, one never knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.