GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,604 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mansions of Madness» Forums » General

Subject: How much does the app read to you? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Welch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the app doesn't read everything on the screen to you then I could see it not working for us as a group. I think it would be fine for a solo game but if you have to pass the app around to the players to read their encounter or if one person has to be the designated reader then that sucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that is fully voiced are the prologues and endings. The rest of the game is just text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It only reads the Epilogue and Prologue. All other text throughout the game must be read by the players. It works fine, with one player clicking the app and reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played once so far by myself to get the hang of it, but it reads the 'story' to you, and that is it. Every encounter you do need to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benncory wrote:
If the app doesn't read everything on the screen to you then I could see it not working for us as a group. I think it would be fine for a solo game but if you have to pass the app around to the players to read their encounter or if one person has to be the designated reader then that sucks.

I would happily PAY to have EVERYTHING voice-read.

Did you hear that FFG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morphie wrote:
Benncory wrote:

Did you hear that FFG?

Depends on how much they charge, but I do have to agree. Have an IAP for full voice option or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Morphie wrote:

Did you hear that FFG?

You'll likely want to include a voiceover for your message in this budget as well, as technically they will have "read" this.

That said, I'm with you, I'd love the option to have everything read. Even though FFG drained my wallet with this purchase, I'd still cough up a reasonable amount more for an audio pack "add on". Add ons of this type would be a great optional addition to the App.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Benncory wrote:

There is no such thing as individual player encounters, so passing around the tablet is unnecessary.

But yes - one person essentially has to be the narrator. I'm not sure why that sucks, though. I really enjoy doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Benncory wrote:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall on your gaming nights.

"Right - how about Descent?"
"No, theres readin"
"Ok, how about Ticket to Ride?"
"Dere's Readin on cards"
"Ok, what about Battlestar Galactica?"
"Dem cards need readin agin"
"Erm, how about Monopoly?"
"Der board got words on"
"Chess?"
"Hmm.. Any words?"
"Nope"
"Ok.. whats this piece do?"
"That's a Knight, they move in an L shape"
"L is a letta. Forget it. I watch TV now"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluffy James wrote:

It would be awesome if everything card/situation/text would be voice-read. Preferably by the same voice-actor who can be heard now: he is very understandable and enjoyable to listen to.

Let's start a petition?

It would never realistically happen, so don't worry about it. However, I'll go so far as to say you really wouldn't want it to happen if you thought about it more:

1. File size would balloon.

2. Costs would soar (paying the voice actors). These costs would either translate in a more expensive product, or diminish FFG's consideration of the product line (i.e. the revenue to profit ratio would diminish).

3. Development would be strangled -- in a non voiced situation, a writer can alter key elements of the product at the 11th hour of development. e.g. A card effect is determined to need tweaking, or a villain's monolog needed reworking, they can just update the spreadsheet (or whatever). If that element was voiced, they'd then have to schedule recording time, book the *same* voice actor, pay for the "reshoot," etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as much as I'd like to have it as an option, I don't think full narration is a feasible option...

There is so much text, with all the different events (exploring/searching/etc) and possible attack/evade results and skill tests etc. Not to mention variations with character names that actually get inserted into the text (that's a nice little touch with an app I hadn't expected over reading from cards). Admittedly that last bit could be done with chopping/changing snippets, but would have to be done expertly to avoid sounding like a dodgy train station announcement!

Either the app would grow in size by a large amount (estimate say 1MB per minute for audio of half-decent quality, so it could easily go into hundreds of MB's or more) or the audio would be so low quality that it wouldn't really be worth it. OK, so phones/tablets these days can cope with GB's, so let's say that's not too much of an issue.

Not to mention the expensive hours of pro voice recording & studio time. I imagine just the intros/outros were pricey.

And then when there's a change needed eg. to tweak a skill test or some text in a scenario... they'd have to pay for more recording.

Also, what about different languages? Does the app actually have intros/outros in other languages already?

Anyway... I can see how it could be done, but I suspect it would cost a lot more than you might imagine to just "add full voiceovers please"

And future scenarios (assuming they have paid ones) would cost a lot more.

The only way I could see it happening is with voice synthesis, and I doubt that's the quality you'd want.

I don't see reading from the app as any different reading from cards though. You can read & play at your own speed, which is something you couldn't do with a voiceover, unless you're skipping it every time it repeats an explanation about eg. placing walls/barricades, but then why bother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, the last thing I want is full narration. I hate having to wait for it. I skip 70% of spoken lines in video games, why would I want them in a board game? Bogs everything down when you have to wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
On top of the practical considerations it would also get highly repetitive and tedious. An awful lot of the text is generic: repeated Mythos events, oft-repeated combat encounters, horror checks... you would hear the same thing said over and over. With reading once you've seen it a couple of times you tend to finish it 'yadda yadda...' I think before very long you would find yourself just clicking to skip the narration anyway. It would also slow the game down tremendously to let every piece of narration play out at approx a 5th or 6th of the speed you could read it.

It sounds like a cooler idea than I think it would really be after the first time novelty wore off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Really, the last thing I want is full narration. I hate having to wait for it. I skip 70% of spoken lines in video games, why would I want them in a board game? Bogs everything down when you have to wait.

This. I read much faster than a voice over would (understandably). When I played it with a friend, we had the app up on the computer monitor and we both just read the text to ourselves then reacted. "Gross!" "Oh that sucks..." and "Wait...what?!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, a lot of the text (such as when you attack a monster, or get attacked) repeats a few times over the course of a scenario. Would you really want to hear the same "You slash at the Cultist, blah blah" line 5-6 times in one night? After a few rounds we just started reading off the test and the result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Welch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad that this thread has received so much attention. I can see I'm not the only one with this thought in mind. As for the folks that made fun of me. There are two reasons behind wanting it narrated.

One, in most games reading something in a game as part of a encounter, item discovered or special power unlocked usually involves handing someone a card having them read it and putting it in their tableau. Having to pass around a tablet to read it then passing it back to place it at the haed of the table seems cumbersome. You would want a large tablet to make it more visual for everyone in the group. I have an iPad and iPad Pro. I also have a 50in tv at the head of the table that I could mirror to possibly if the app allows it. But, if anyone has tried to read a fare amount of text from a decent distance on a tv then you know it can be hard especially with smallish text.

Two, I do have some friends that have difficulty reading even to the point that others have to step in and help with certain words or verbiage. Being in that situation with a large tablet just exasperates an already challenging circumstance.

I'm not saying that the game simply won't work for us just more difficult. When I heard of the game and what it did I was VERY excited that it would actually solve some of these issues. Now, I have to step back and think that instead of helping and being sweet solution it may just make the game experience more challenging.

Just my thoughts and my analytical mind overthinking it. I can be a little AP prone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the App is freely available right now, you can give a try (just fake a few rounds) just to see what it is like. Then make a more educated decision if it is something you would be able to work with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Benncory wrote:
I'm glad that this thread has received so much attention. I can see I'm not the only one with this thought in mind. As for the folks that made fun of me. There are two reasons behind wanting it narrated.

One, in most games reading something in a game as part of a encounter, item discovered or special power unlocked usually involves handing someone a card having them read it and putting it in their tableau. Having to pass around a tablet to read it then passing it back to place it at the haed of the table seems cumbersome. You would want a large tablet to make it more visual for everyone in the group. I have an iPad and iPad Pro. I also have a 50in tv at the head of the table that I could mirror to possibly if the app allows it. But, if anyone has tried to read a fare amount of text from a decent distance on a tv then you know it can be hard especially with smallish text.

Two, I do have some friends that have difficulty reading even to the point that others have to step in and help with certain words or verbiage. Being in that situation with a large tablet just exasperates an already challenging circumstance.

I'm not saying that the game simply won't work for us just more difficult. When I heard of the game and what it did I was VERY excited that it would actually solve some of these issues. Now, I have to step back and think that instead of helping and being sweet solution it may just make the game experience more challenging.

Just my thoughts and my analytical mind overthinking it. I can be a little AP prone.

For you and your group it sounds like it would be a really good thing to have and all of your reasoning is perfectly good. I also play with some limited readers but fortunately they and I are happy to have me be the narrator and read from the screen and I enjoy reading.

But I don't think it would be cost effective for them to implement a fully-voiced app for the amount of people that would appreciate it to the extent you and your group would. I think most would end up skipping it before very long for the stated reasons of slowing the game and becoming repetitious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Benncory wrote:

You've addressed why passing the tablet around would suck (and I've already said that's a non-issue because you simply don't do that except for puzzles, for which there is no reading involved), but why would having a single player as the narrator suck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Welch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will just have to play to find out how well it works or doesn't work for our group. I honestly don't know how bad it would suck. It's just now how we have ever played. We have always played with "here's your item/special power what did you get, what did you get. Tell us, tell us."

I will see how it goes. I have to give it a go but there is a chance that it just doesn't work well. I'm curious to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benncory wrote:
We have always played with "here's your item/special power what did you get, what did you get. Tell us, tell us.

You'd still get those aspects. There are still plenty of cards for the items/spells/conditions/etc. The app just tells you how to setup the map tiles, generates events/attacks/evade tests, and tracks monsters & health. You still play the game with the physical components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benncory wrote:
I will just have to play to find out how well it works or doesn't work for our group. I honestly don't know how bad it would suck. It's just now how we have ever played. We have always played with "here's your item/special power what did you get, what did you get. Tell us, tell us."

None of that changes. Everyone can still read their own items. That isn't in the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICE 0ne
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both times I've played so far we've downloaded the app on steam on a laptop and output the screen to a tv. Then we take turns reading out loud. The text is large enough to easily be seen from the couch. The only issue I see with this is for tests, the tester can see the pass and fail results before testing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ICE 0ne wrote:
Both times I've played so far we've downloaded the app on steam on a laptop and output the screen to a tv. Then we take turns reading out loud. The text is large enough to easily be seen from the couch. The only issue I see with this is for tests, the tester can see the pass and fail results before testing.

We do similar & it works well. We're undecided on tests, but are allowing reading of the possible outcomes for now. If it was intended for us to do otherwise, I think the app might have hidden them behind another "Continue" button or similar.

I mentioned this on another thread, but what about puzzles when you're on a big screen? Do you all chip in, or leave the active investigator to their own devices? That could be an issue if you prefer to not give each other hints, or even know what the puzzle is before another investigator has an attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICE 0ne
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:
ICE 0ne wrote:

We do similar & it works well. We're undecided on tests, but are allowing reading of the possible outcomes for now. If it was intended for us to do otherwise, I think the app might have hidden them behind another "Continue" button or similar.

I mentioned this on another thread, but what about puzzles when you're on a big screen? Do you all chip in, or leave the active investigator to their own devices? That could be an issue if you prefer to not give each other hints, or even know what the puzzle is before another investigator has an attempt.

For now we've all been chipping in. The big screen helps a lot for the picture puzzles. The 1e puzzles were able to be seen by everyone even though they couldn't help, so I'm not sure if it's an issue or not. Guess we'll have to wait for an FAQ to find out their intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.