Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for a game that involves a lot of haggling/alliance/betrayals like Traders and Imperial seem to be. What are the main differences? Which one do you guys prefer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't found there to be a lot of alliance/betrayals in either of Traders of Genoa or Imperial. For that part of your requirements I would look to Diplomacy or A Game of Thrones - not much haggling though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to remember the trading phase of Civilization being like that, but that was a very short part of a very long game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Fraser said - ToG has the haggling part but (despite the implication in the rules) I don't see a lot of room for alliances and betrayals there.

Personally, I enjoy Lifeboats for betrayals but it's not the heavy game you seem to be looking for...

Fraser's suggestions of Diplomacy or AGoT sound right...though the former is looooooong

I'm waiting on Intrigue which is supposed to have a heavy alliance/betrayal element - I've heard it referred to as Diplomacy lite...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Checked out AGOT and that seems to be what I'm looking for. Hope I like it. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:
I seem to remember the trading phase of Civilization being like that, but that was a very short part of a very long game.

It shouldn't have been. Trading is the heart of Civilization and Advanced Civilization. If you play the trading rounds too quickly, you're missing out on the best part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.