Jean-Luc Simard
Canada
Longueuil
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fort Monroe's ability states (paraphrase, I don't have the card with me here):

1: Add one debt to a player and restock 2.

Our question during our first game was who would be restocking: the owner of Fort Monroe, or the player who adds one debt? Text seems to indicate that it is a regular restock, but is vague enough that a case could be made that it is the player receiving the debt that can restock.

Also, some cards have the Unique keyword. I might have missed it, but don't see any reference to that keyword in the rules. Does it apply to deck contruction only, or also to game play? If I have a Union Harper's Ferry in play, can my opponent play a CSA Harper's Ferry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Smith
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the question, Jean-Luc.

Fort Monroe's ability adds 1 counter of debt to another player, and you are the one who gets to restock 2 (not the opponent who you added the debt to with this ability.)

For Unique type cards it does two things: You may only have at most 1 of a given Unique card in your deck at the start of the game (normally you can have up to 5 of non-Unique cards in your deck). So for instance, you could only have at most 1 Ulysses S. Grant in your deck.

Also, you can only have 1 of a given Unique card under your control at the same time. This is important because some cards allow you to take control of other cards. So for instance, if I had Abraham Lincoln in play (he's a unique) I couldn't later take control of someone else's Abraham Lincoln and have 2 of that card. Each player can only control up to 1 of a given Unique card at a time. You could lose control of a unique though, and put it back into play at a later point if you were able to do that. You just can't control more than 1 at a time.

However, keep in mind that each player can have the same unique in their deck, and the same unique in play as another player during a given game.

For instance, you and I could both be playing the Heart of the South deck against each other, and both you and I could have 1 Robert E. Lee in play if we were able to play him at some point during the game. This would be allowed.

I hope this answered your questions. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'd be happy to answer them.

Sean Smith
Iron Maul Entertainment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Luc Simard
Canada
Longueuil
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick and clear answers, Sean. That make Fort Monroe an excellent starting ground, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Smith
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
No problem, Jean-Luc. Glad I could help.

Fort Monroe is a very good starting ground. It gives you some early control over your opponent while at the same time giving you the extra restock healing capability which can be combined well if you've taken damage, or if you plan on playing lots of Battle Effects and other cards that have the dismiss payment option.

Sean Smith
Iron Maul Entertainment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.