GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,080 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
46 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Chit Chat Fight: Great Movies of the 2010s rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Is the audience too fractured?

yes
but that kinda implies a negative tone to everyone having their own tastes.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the 2010s have been a great decade for film! For starters, the film studio A24 has been putting out a lot of really interesting stuff — The Witch, The Lobster, Swiss Army Man, Ex Machina, et cetera. Noah Baumbach is turning out a really interesting body of work, and of course Alejandro González Iñárritu is starting to look like he's going to become a Really Big Deal. Wes Anderson is, arguably, at the top of his game, the Coen Brothers are still going strong, Paul Thomas Anderson is still going strong, David Fincher is still going strong, and we still have "old masters" like Scorsese and Spielberg (and saying that makes me feel old). Last but not least, I honestly think that J. J. Abrams is a fantastic storyteller, and thanks to him we are living in a golden age of great action-'n'-special-effects blockbusters.*

I would say that the 2010s have given us at least two five-star classics that people will still be watching thirty years from now: Moonrise Kingdom and Ex Machina. Maybe even … dare I say it? … Star Wars Episode VII? Hard to say now how that one will hold up over time.

Beyond those I think we have a nice collection of other great films, like Lincoln, Birdman, Mad Max: Fury Road, Sicario, Grand Budapest Hotel, Prisoners, Frances Ha, The Witch, The Revenant, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Wolf of Wall Street, Dogtooth, Winter's Bone, Under the Skin, etc., etc.…

*Yeah, I know, he's not as popular with all you geeks because he's working with properties that you're all very emotionally invested in and if he doesn't ring every bell in exactly the right way then your childhood is ruined or something.
14 
 Thumb up
0.03
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The decade's barely half over. Sometimes movies need time to age a little. For instance, imagine if the Oscars were for movies that were 5 years old. Would the 1994 winner still be Forrest Gump, or would it go to the other 2 classics from that year: Pulp Fiction or Shawshank Redemption? Would Fight Club get more recognition among 1999 films?

So with that said, I feel Mad Max: Fury Road will go down as a great. Two come to mind as coming close: Boyhood and Gravity, however, the former doesn't hold up as well as I want it to. The beginning passages especially are clunky. It's not until he reaches his teenage years that the film realizes its potential. It will be more remembered as a bold and mostly successful experiment.

As for Gravity, it's suffering a little from the Avatar effect. Everyone went nuts for it when it first came out, but it seems to have been forgotten since then.
5 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
I think the 2010s have been a great decade for film! For starters, the film studio A24 has been putting out a lot of really interesting stuff — The Witch, The Lobster, Swiss Army Man, Ex Machina, et cetera. Noah Baumbach is turning out a really interesting body of work, and of course Alejandro González Iñárritu is starting to look like he's going to become a Really Big Deal. Wes Anderson is, arguably, at the top of his game, the Coen Brothers are still going strong, Paul Thomas Anderson is still going strong, David Fincher is still going strong, and we still have "old masters" like Scorsese and Spielberg (and saying that makes me feel old). Last but not least, I honestly think that J. J. Abrams is a fantastic storyteller, and thanks to him we are living in golden age of great action-'n'-special-effects blockbusters.*

I would say that the 2010s have given us at least two five-star classics that people will still be watching thirty years from now: Moonrise Kingdom and Ex Machina. Maybe even … dare I say it? … Star Wars Episode VII? Hard to say now how that one will hold up over time.

Beyond those I think we have a nice collection of other great films, like Lincoln, Birdman, Mad Max: Fury Road, Sicario, Grand Budapest Hotel, Prisoners, Frances Ha, The Witch, The Revenant, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Wolf of Wall Street, etc., etc.…

*Yeah, I know, he's not as popular with all you geeks because he's working with properties that you're all very emotionally invested in and if he doesn't ring every bell in exactly the right way then your childhood is ruined or something.


I loved the shit out of Moonrise Kingdom, but I feel people will remember Grand Budapest Hotel more. Nothing against the latter, but Moonrise Kingdom had a lot more heart which was all the difference for me.
6 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
I feel Mad Max: Fury Road will go down as a great.

Yeah, I buy that.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Too many sequels.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Two come to mind as coming close: Boyhood and Gravity, however, the former doesn't hold up as well as I want it to. The beginning passages especially are clunky. It's not until he reaches his teenage years that the film realizes its potential. It will be more remembered as a bold and mostly successful experiment.

As for Gravity, it's suffering a little from the Avatar effect. Everyone went nuts for it when it first came out, but it seems to have been forgotten since then.


Boyhood will get some love due to the commitment put into it, but neither are going to hold up over time. Gravity more so. It is underwhelming in anything outside of a movie theater and The Martian was a far superior film in the same mold. Boyhood was on the disappointing side based on the hype.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think over the last 10 years I have spent most of my time watching highly rated older films and more non Hollywood films.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
erak wrote:
Two come to mind as coming close: Boyhood and Gravity, however, the former doesn't hold up as well as I want it to. The beginning passages especially are clunky. It's not until he reaches his teenage years that the film realizes its potential. It will be more remembered as a bold and mostly successful experiment.

As for Gravity, it's suffering a little from the Avatar effect. Everyone went nuts for it when it first came out, but it seems to have been forgotten since then.


Boyhood will get some love due to the commitment put into it, but neither are going to hold up over time. Gravity more so. It is underwhelming in anything outside of a movie theater and The Martian was a far superior film in the same mold. Boyhood was on the disappointing side based on the hype.


I think Boyhood viiewers can be split into two camps: those who saw it before the hype and those after, with a subcategory of those who know what to expect from Richard Linklater. Most people underwhelmed by it are those who caught it at awards season, rather than way earlier in the year when it first came out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Avatar
I also throw my vote in for MadMax.

I nominate Spotlight.

I wonder if Deadpool will hold up over time. The umpteen sequels and cameos that are coming will probably deaden its impact though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not usually into foreign films, but The Intouchables was flipping fantastic. It's about a friendship between a wealthy quadriplegic and his new ex-con caretaker. Full of heart and very fun.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualSax wrote:
I'm not usually into foreign films, but The Intouchables was flipping fantastic. It's about a friendship between a wealthy quadriplegic and his new ex-con caretaker. Full of heart and very fun.

Yes!

If you want a film with a similar feel, check out Departures (2008). Beautiful Japanese film.

Sorry to digress. Back to films of the 2010's...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
El_Phen wrote:
Marvel's Avengers, The Force Awakens, Deadpool, Pacific Rim


Which one of these is not like the others.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Avatar
matthean wrote:
El_Phen wrote:
Marvel's Avengers, The Force Awakens, Deadpool, Pacific Rim


Which one of these is not like the others.


Two sci fi, two superhero.
Two sequels, two first timers
Two released this year (give or take 2 weeks), two older

I'm stumped
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
matthean wrote:
El_Phen wrote:
Marvel's Avengers, The Force Awakens, Deadpool, Pacific Rim


Which one of these is not like the others.


Two sci fi, two superhero.
Two sequels, two first timers
Two released this year (give or take 2 weeks), two older

I'm stumped



Force Awakens: $936,662,225 US Domestic Box Office
Avengers: $623,357,910
Deadpool: $363,070,709
Pacific Rim: $101,802,906

Biggest difference of the three I can come up with is that Deadpool is the only one without a 3D release. Pretty funny for a movie known for breaking the fourth wall.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
matthean wrote:
El_Phen wrote:
Marvel's Avengers, The Force Awakens, Deadpool, Pacific Rim


Which one of these is not like the others.


Two sci fi, two superhero.
Two sequels, two first timers
Two released this year (give or take 2 weeks), two older

I'm stumped


RT rating:
Avengers 92%
The Force Awakens 92%
Deadpool 84%
Pacific Rim 71%

Avengers was the centerpiece for the MCU. The Force Awakens was Star Wars for the new generation. Deadpool proved an R rated superhero movie could sell. Pacific Rim was just another minimal plot tons of action movie. A decent one mind you, but hardly anything to stand out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Avatar
Oh, now I see.

My problem is that I thought Pacific Rim was AWESOME.

I love Big Monster movies and IMO Pacific Rim delivered in spades. It also helped that my son was 12 and it was right in his wheelhouse.

I didn't realize it kind of tanked at the BO.

Edit: And then Deadpool came out when my son was 15...right in his new wheelhouse. Lucky guy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
The kung fu hippie from Gansta City
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Watched in 30 years time?

Toy Story 3

Wolf of Wall Street (those louche M.S. movies have legs)

The Master
2 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many great movies that have come out in the 2010s, I don't even know what to say. Predicting classics is a fool's errand, but I know there will be some, and I bet a lot of the things that will be considered classics are the very "genre movies" which you say don't appeal to you.

Here's some lesser-known movies from the 2010s that I adore:

Sing Street (Seriously, everybody should see this movie! Best of the year, maybe best of the last few years.)
Begin Again (Not quite as good as Sing Street, but another great film from the same writer/director)
Short Term 12 (Get to know Brie Larson before she becomes Captain Marvel)
Chef (Hungry? Well, you will be after watching this film)
The Spectacular Now (Miles Teller proves that his quality performance in Whiplash wasn't a fluke)
About Time (A surprising mix of time travel, drama, and comedy)
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
As for Gravity, it's suffering a little from the Avatar effect. Everyone went nuts for it when it first came out, but it seems to have been forgotten since then.

Gravity is an experience movie, if you're not watching it on a big screen (preferably in 3-D) you're not really watching it. Therefore, as soon as it left the theaters it was a non-issue that no one cares about. No matter how big my TV is it's not going to give me that same experience again, so the movie is forgotten. Same for Avatar I suspect.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
red black wrote:
Pacific Rim? gulp


I am not sure why people don't like Pacific Rim. We watched it five times in the Theatre (including 1 IMAX visit).


Pacific Rim delivers exactly what it promises and not an ounce more. It's like Independence Day. By no means a great movie, but still great fun.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Avengers has been mentioned already, but I'd add the Captain America sequels..
Winter Solider & Civil War

I'd also like to mention:
Interstellar
The Martian
The Lego Movie
The Imitation Game
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
badge
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
201X personal classics:

- For nights when my family is away visiting other family, and I can just crank the volume right up and indulge: Edge of Tomorrow

- For rainy Sunday afternoon family movie and popcorn time: Hugo

- For enjoying time with my wife watching a movie she loves: Bridesmaids

None of these of course are likely to be viewed as milestones in motion picture history, but as pure entertainment they're fantastic.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can come up with exactly two: Birdman and Inception.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2018 March 23, 24, 25 in Stamford, CT
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
utoption2 wrote:
red black wrote:
Pacific Rim? gulp


I am not sure why people don't like Pacific Rim. We watched it five times in the Theatre (including 1 IMAX visit).


Pacific Rim delivers exactly what it promises and not an ounce more. It's like Independence Day. By no means a great movie, but still great fun.


You have a much higher opinion of Independence Day than I do.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.