Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I'm a bit baffled by the Cottonclad/Gunboat rules. I understand the bits about 0NSP etc. But do they always have to start at an Ocean Port precisely at the opening of a river and do an Amphibious Assault up that river? If so, do the Amphibious-Assaulting troops have to start in that specific river-end Ocean Port?

Other things I don't understand include: whether they allowed to skirt along coastlines etc then go up a river; whether they can start in a River Port in a river; whether they can go down a river; why it allows an attack from an Ocean Port to a River Port (I thought that wasn't allowed); whether they can 'link up' somehow with movement over Oceans.

Basically ... what do they do?!

Here are the rules as written in the living rulesbook, if that helps. I'm none the wiser. Thanks for any advice:

21.11 Union Gunboats and Confederate Cottonclads
The Union player has access to screw gunboats which can travel up the Confederate rivers from the ocean. The Confederate player has Cottonclads—armed steamboats protected by cotton bales. Both types of ships have an NSP value of 0 and are not represented by counters. Their function is to allow an Amphibious Assault where regular Naval Units are not allowed or when not available.
RULE: Both players may conduct an Amphibious Assault without Naval Units and claim that it is being led by Gunboats (Union) or Cottonclads (Confederate). Follow all rules of Amphibious Assault but if a Naval Battle occurs, the Phasing Player uses the 0 column of the CRT. Both players have an endless supply of Gunboats and Cottonclads so sunk and damage results have no effect. As with regular Amphibious Assault, units can enter one enemy controlled hex or hexside where friendly naval control does not exist in order to land at the target hex, but may never bypass such a hex or hexside. The Confederate player may only claim Cottonclads if his invasion is activated with an “Any” Special Action Card. The Confederate Amphibious Assaults exception (20.5.5) applies to the use of Cottonclads. Union Gunboats cannot be used with the Free Naval Action Point.
DESIGN NOTE: This rule allows the Union player to conduct an Amphibious Assault up a Confederate Navigable River from an Ocean Port. The invasion force must start at a port on that river. This rule is also helpful for the Confederate player to retake the Outer Banks of North Carolina or any island the Union player has failed to garrison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rigol wrote:
Hi

I'm a bit baffled by the Cottonclad/Gunboat rules. I understand the bits about 0NSP etc. But do they always have to start at an Ocean Port precisely at the opening of a river and do an Amphibious Assault up that river? If so, do the Amphibious-Assaulting troops have to start in that specific river-end Ocean Port?

No. No.

The italicized preface and play note are not the rules. They illustrate some of what is possible under the rules, but they are not the rules themselves.

Quote:
Other things I don't understand include: whether they allowed to skirt along coastlines etc then go up a river; whether they can start in a River Port in a river; whether they can go down a river; why it allows an attack from an Ocean Port to a River Port (I thought that wasn't allowed); whether they can 'link up' somehow with movement over Oceans.

Basically ... what do they do?!

Think of them as 0 NSP Naval Units that automatically accompany your SPs that are performing an Amphibious Assault for the whole Amphibious Assault move. They automatically appear when you activate the Amphibious Assault with the Gunboats or Cottonclads and automatically disappear after the conclusion of any combat that occurs as a result of the Amphibious Assault. Otherwise, all the normal River AA or Ocean AA rules apply. Note that the gunboats or cottonclads are only accompanying the AA. They are not carrying the SPs. So, if you are going up a River, the normal River AA rules apply to the move unless you are performing an AA in the tidal portion of the Mississippi (on or downstream of Vicksburg).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "DESIGN NOTE" confused me, too. Even if Gunboats were not in the game, the Union player would still be able to conduct Amphibious Assaults up Confederate Navigable Rivers from Ocean Ports. I suggest you ignore that note and pretend it's not there; that makes the rule easier to understand if you don't try to make sense of the note.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. And I re-read some sections to clear my head of the myth than an Amphibious Assault from an Ocean Port must always end in an Ocean Port (almost right - but not quite!) Sorted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.