3 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Variants

Subject: Precursors' Scepter (a ship marker variant) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SpaghettiToastBook
msg tools
mbmbmb
Here is a ship marker variant I thought of a few days ago, and hopefully will try out soon.

PRECURSORS' SCEPTER

One ship is in possession of the Precursors' Scepter (a ship marker). That ship is the royal ship. Only players that have a colony on the same planet as the royal ship can win the game. The first player starts with possession of the scepter.

Whenever a player gains possession of the scepter, that player places it on any of his or her ships from any of his or her colonies. That ship becomes the new royal ship.

If the royal ship would be captured or go anywhere other than a colony or the hyperspace gate, its owner instead places it on one of his or her colonies. If this is not possible, the scepter is destroyed and all players lose the game.

When a player wins an encounter and the royal ship is on the the opposing side, that player gains possession of the scepter. The player possessing the scepter may give possession of it to another player as part of a deal.

Players may target the colony with the royal ship whenever the destiny card drawn allows them to encounter its owner (even if it is at a foreign colony).

---

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. I will give this a try next time we play.

I don't think we considered using ship markers to mark only one ship per game. When we talked about including this in Cosmic Dominion, the focus was definitely on making sure every player had one special ship. Doing it this way opens some possibilities for other ship marker variants, perhaps.

There are a couple of rough edges, though.

First, who is the defense if the offense targets a planet where the royal ship is part of a foreign colony?

Second, as part of a deal, can the player pass the scepter to any player? Or just his or her opponent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SpaghettiToastBook
msg tools
mbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
I like it. I will give this a try next time we play.

Thanks!

Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
First, who is the defense if the offense targets a planet where the royal ship is part of a foreign colony?

The defense is the royal ship's owner. The intent is that the player possessing the scepter can't hide it at a
foreign colony.

Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Second, as part of a deal, can the player pass the scepter to any player? Or just his or her opponent?

To any player, like Zombie and Tyrant. Though I'm wondering if all three should be restricted to just the other dealing players instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.