Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Marquette
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wifey and I decided to play a brand new game ... I had just purchased thanks to a recommendation by a friend (Bobarooney).

I read the rules to the game while my wife was out on a women's night out and I was feeding the munchkins. My 3 year old son enjoyed having Daddy read to him at the dinner table. Looking at the pieces was a bonus too. My first impression was how thick and well illustrated the landscape tiles were. The rules were certainly easy enough to learn while multitasking between other functions too. My initial fear was the rules were too simple. But sometimes in life simplicity is golden.

So we broke the game out during the kids' naptime today. I politely reminded Candace to play cutthroat. arrrh Arrh! "I want you to attack me and be as ruthless as you can in this game, because I will do that to you." (This is a common game reminder for the wifey.) "Remember, I was told to expect maximum 'screwage' in this game by Bob." [shakes her head in the affirmative and repeats above mantra.]

So we started off placing our tiles and building our settlements. We had very few rules questions if any. The role cards were very helpful and the 3-4 pages of rules is very manageable and easy to understand for a new Euro game. The rules and game examples were drawn out very well. We had much fun erupting our volcanoes and destroying each others' settlements. I noticed this game is a lot about planning 3 to 4 to 5 moves in advance and expecting to be assaulted from multiple angles. So play multiple angles. Erupt those volcanoes on your opponent(s) and place the new tiles in beneficial spots for yourself. I placed my first temple a few moves before Candace by arranging the tiles so that there were strategic "holes". (I think this will be an important strategy.) I won't go into a turn-by-turn synopsis here. I ended the game with what is deemed a "premature victory" in the rule book...using 2 of 3 of your buildings (huts-temples-towers). I used all of my huts at the end by expanding my territories to adjacent jungle spaces. And I placed all 3 of my temples in the course of the game.

I'm sure there is much more we'll learn after just one play, but this game has quite a bit of strategy for such simple rules. We were both of a similar thinking that this was comparable to Through the Desert. At least the essence of simplicity and strategy going hand-in-hand. (The gameplay does not have anything in common.)

-Shane
4-15-2007
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.