Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to clarify exactly when the "End of Game Trigger" occurs mostly because of the restriction of no longer being able to transfer characters with the Bribe action or the Tycoon card "No-Good Troublemaker."

The situation was this. I bought the Billiards Room, and then purchased enough cubes to empty the supply to complete it (which gives me another Tycoon Action). Does this prevent me from using the Bribe Action or the Tycoon "No-Good Troublemaker" to transfer a card to me?

Another question related to this is, if completing a tile would cause the end of game to trigger, and also award a character, would the player doing this receive the character or not? Specifically this is mentioned in the Game End & Final Scoring section on page 6.

The reason I ask is because of the several places it talks about the end of game trigger in the rulebook.

Page 6, Step 3 - End of Turn
If during your turn, the general pile of Supply cubes is depleted, announce after your turn that the end game has been triggered....

Page 6, Game End & Final Scoring
At any point during a player's turn, if the general supply of Supply cubes is depleted, the end game has been triggered. Each player will get one final turn except for the player that triggered the end game.
Additionally, announce, that the Characters may no longer be moved at all. The Bribe Character action is no longer available for players to perform; Characters cannot be moved through card play (example, the No-Good Troublemaker Tycoon card); and characters cannot be acquired by finishing a tile.

Page 6, Supply Your Tiles
Note: If the general supply of Supply cubes is depleted, add additional cubes as needed, but note that the end of the game has been triggered.

Page 5, Bribe a Character
Note: You many not bribe a character once the end game has been triggered, nor may you play a Tycoon card that allows you to move a character.

In Summary the questions are:
1) When exactly does the end game trigger?
2) If the answer to 1) is "immediately" then if I am completing a tile that rewards me with a character, do I receive it?
3) If I am able to get an extra action through card play or completing a room by depleting the Supply cubes, can I still bribe, or is it too late?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike n Phyllis Snedeker
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Clarifying exactly when "End of Game Trigger" occurs
Designers have been excellent answering questions, but the way we read it, END GAME trigger is ANNOUNCED at the End of your turn. Do whatever you want to do, but that will be YOUR last turn, everyone else gets one final action with the noted exceptions...

Curious to see what A.J. says...

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike_N_Phyllis wrote:
Designers have been excellent answering questions, but the way we read it, END GAME trigger is ANNOUNCED at the End of your turn. Do whatever you want to do, but that will be YOUR last turn, everyone else gets one final action with the noted exceptions...

Curious to see what A.J. says...

cool

You said it for me.

This is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a helpful clarification. In our one game last weekend, we played that once the last cube is taken, all Characters are immediately locked in place. One player commented on how it's a disadvantage to trigger the end game. Now that I know the player triggering the end game can still cause Characters to move on his (final) turn, that can make triggering the end game a benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elac yenwod
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
This is great to hear.

This is the same situation for my first game. I had the Lucky Lucy and sydney smythe secret claim card and there were three cubes left in the supply and I needed 4 to complete the room for Lucky Lucy. I assumed if I bought the last three cubes it would trigger the end game and buying the extra cube to complete the room give the character card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. So triggering the end can be beneficial as you get a last shot at some character shenanigans if you want it. But it is your last turn so make it count! Some games you may want to trigger the end game and some you may prefer to play for the additional turn, but you may be leaving yourself a little bit exposed. This is a big point of end game tension in Saloon Tycoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.