1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How many games have you played but not rated? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Moore
msg tools
mb
I am aware that rating games is arbitrary and some people even rate games without playing them. Personally I try to get 5 plays of a game prior to rating to ensure I am familiar with the game.

My count is 32 games played without rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mb
I rate all games I've played, and those ratings may change after I play it again, and again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate nothing, so ... lots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
171. But all but two those are games I have only played once. I generally only rate a game after playing it at least twice. The games I have played multiple times but not rated are Ghost Chase (because it has been so long since I played it that I don't remember how it was) and Unpublished Prototype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
474, but most of those I've only played once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep my "played, unrated" list under 7. But I am perfectly happy rating games after 1 play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boggs
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D00MSTALKER wrote:
I am aware that rating games is arbitrary and some people even rate games without playing them. Personally I try to get 5 plays of a game prior to rating to ensure I am familiar with the game.

My count is 32 games played without rating.

I'm with you there, I tend to hold off on rating til I get a good feel for the game after several plays. Which leaves me a few dozen played without any ratings yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only two.

Outside the scope of BGG
Unpublished prototype
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only rate the games I own. So I'm sure it's in the dozens if not low hundreds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
7 (for scale have 1,841 taints)

I tend to rate with one play. There are many games that will never get more then one play and there I no reason to skew the game ratings up by not rating.

I feel that most board gamers here that take the time to be active here, are serious gamers. We pretty much know what we like and don't like bout a game and can rate accordingly. We can also tell when a rue just doesn't seem right and can research it a bit later or when the other players negatively impact you feelings about a game, those rare occasions are when I don't rate at all. If I get back to them with the right rules or with a better group.

I do use decimals to make it easier to find games thst I feel may trend up or down with further plays and revisit my ratings from time to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluffy Bunny
msg tools
MWChapel wrote:
I rate all games I've played, and those ratings may change after I play it again, and again.

This. The only games that are unrated and played are those that I haven't bothered to fill in a rating for. Usually it builds up a couple before I check and rate them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably in the neighborhood of 400.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
Of games I own and have played, I haven't yet ranked:

The Ravens of Thri Sahashri (feel like I need to play it more still)
TZAAR (ditto)
YINSH (ditto)
ZERTZ (ditto)
Magic: The Gathering (haven't gotten to it)
Android: Netrunner (ditto)
Timbuktu (ditto)

Games that I don't own, but have played:

Fluxx (haven't gotten to it - not really a game)
This game wasn't playtested at all (haven't gotten to it - not really a game)
Guild Hall (only played a half game. Seemed like it would have been good with fewer players than we were trying it with)
Exploding Kittens (haven't gotten to it - not really a game)
Ticket to Ride: Europe (didn't care for it, but figure I'll give it another chance since it's a classic)
Hanabi (haven't gotten to it)
Codenames (ditto)
Spyfall (ditto)

There's no particular rule about whether I feel like a single play is enough to judge a game or if multiple plays are necessary. It just depends on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll only rate a game once I've played it enough to feel as though I grasp the complexities and strategies of it.

I've played heaps of games only a few times which I'm yet to commit to a rating for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
No good will come of this, mark my words!
badge
mbmb
All of them.

I put in comments for those I remember or care to have a view on, but I don't rate games by a number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Bearhug78 wrote:
I'll only rate a game once I've played it enough to feel as though I grasp the complexities and strategies of it.

I've played heaps of games only a few times which I'm yet to commit to a rating for.

This is the way to do it, do it on a game by game basis. Exploding Kittens I can rate after a play. Just played Isle Of Sky this weekend twice and I'm not ready to rate it. I also feel it helps to play a game at various player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate every game I play. I'll do it even after one play, based on my thoughts after that play. My ratings aren't set in stone however. From time to time I'll revisit my ratings and make changes as I feel necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That number of games is probably in the thousands.

Pete (really half-asses both ratings and logging plays)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
None- I rate them all and periodically readjust ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some - I don't rate our own games (obviously), and also not games which I've only played in prototype form (even if that was relatively far advanced in the process).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
52 + a few that I haven't logged plays of but have played... Only 6 have 10 or more plays and I might rate some of them now.

Edit - rated 11 games so now down to 41.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hundreds. I've been playing games since long before BGG existed and don't think recollecting my impressions of games played 30+ years ago will be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
No idea. My ratings have nothing to do with how good a game is. Eg I might rate a game 1 if it is on shelf number 1 in my room, or I might rate a game 10 if it is the 10th worst game of my collection, or maybe rate a game a 3 if I anticipate to play it for the first time within 3 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B.
Denmark
Frederiksberg C
flag msg tools
I don't design games, I play them!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:
No idea. My ratings have nothing to do with how good a game is. Eg I might rate a game 1 if it is on shelf number 1 in my room, or I might rate a game 10 if it is the 10th worst game of my collection, or maybe rate a game a 3 if I anticipate to play it for the first time within 3 years.

Great system, I'll definitely implement that myself! Hope BGG will do the same as the current scale is so confusing... Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
slashing wrote:
Hundreds. I've been playing games since long before BGG existed and don't think recollecting my impressions of games played 30+ years ago will be useful.

I did/do it for those I accidentally come across and remember playing - I also write down in the comment section whatever I can still remember about it, more like a memento than anything else.

For the last half decade : if I play it, I rate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.