Subject: In what way is this a sequel? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerome Loisel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Sorry if this has been answered, but I looked on the KS page and here, and I still don't understand the "sequel" aspect of this game compared to "Above and Below." Is it...

- a stand-alone expansion with tweaked rules, but the same basic system? (ex: CMoN seasons like Zombicide vs. Black Plague)
- a new version of the game, with significant rules changes, that can also re-use some of the old content? (ex: Descent v1 vs. Descent v2)
- a completely new game in the same universe that also comes with content that can integrate with the other game, but with completely different, unrelated rules? (ex: the Valeria series of games or Arkham Horror vs. Elder Sign)

I'm curious because I want to know if I should get both games. If this is an entirely new game, I'll probably get both. But if it's a reimplementation, I'd probably just start with the new stuff, and only get the old stuff eventually if I decide I really want more content.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely new game that takes place in the same universe and expands on the story telling aspect that is in A&B. It's actually the 3rd one. First was Above and Below, 2nd was Islebound and now Near and Far.

For Islebound on the reverse side of the crew tokens are the same characters but with Above and Below Stats/skills that can be used in A&B as explained at the back of the rule book of Islebound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jloisel wrote:
- a completely new game in the same universe that also comes with content that can integrate with the other game, but with completely different, unrelated rules? (ex: the Valeria series of games or Arkham Horror vs. Elder Sign)

This.

The content that can integrate with Above and Below is some of the adventurers are double-sided... One side is for Near & Far, the other is for Above & Below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Loisel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies! This should really be explained more clearly on the KS page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisPink wrote:
Completely new game that takes place in the same universe and expands on the story telling aspect that is in A&B. It's actually the 3rd one. First was Above and Below, 2nd was Islebound and now Near and Far.

For Islebound on the reverse side of the crew tokens are the same characters but with Above and Below Stats/skills that can be used in A&B as explained at the back of the rule book of Islebound.

Actually, Islebound is not part of the series. It exists in the same world, as does City of Iron: Second Edition, but A&B and N&F are the first two games in a trilogy. If you were wondering, the third game has not been announced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.