$30.00
J Kosec
United States
Smithtown
Ny
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happily received my copy of Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition today, immediately pulled out my old 1st edition copy, and sorted through the components to merge the two.

Imagine, if you will, a hapless moron who essentially dumps all the second edition components on the table, and then starts tearing through the first edition to get the appropriate mixy-matchy done, and ends up with two boxes, a bunch of empty plastic bags, punched cardboard, and so many components it looks like the backed-up landfill in the suburbs of Carcosa.

When the dust cleared, I decided to count the cards from the component list for the new edition, and I came up short on a couple decks. I have the correct number of Damage Cards, Horror Cards, and Spell Cards. Yet I have only...

*36 Common Item Cards (should have 40);
*22 Unique Item Cards (should have 24);
*and 25 Condition Cards (should have 37).

These cards all have the backs depicted in the rule book (the Common Items have a leather satchel back; the Unique Items a treasure-chest back; the Condition Cards that squiggly green horror-shape).

Yet I ALSO have several two-sided cards that roughly fall into these same categories:

* Dynamite, Flare Gun, 2x4, and Whiskey
* Rope and Handcuffs
* 12 Insane cards.

The question that haunts me: ARE THESE CARDS PART OF THE SECOND EDITION?

I would already know the answer to this question if I didn't, stupidly flail through the components of both editions like a child thrown into a pile of tentacles.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Forsyth
United Kingdom
Nairn
Nairnshire
flag msg tools
mb
Those cards are indeed part of the 2nd edition and make up the cards you are missing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Some of the item cards are flipped when used, with further instructions on the back. You keep the item decks faceup and alphabetized rather than randomized so it's easy to find the cards the app tells you to draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kosec
United States
Smithtown
Ny
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YAS! Wonderful.

Thank you both.

I tell you this: I'm going to have a hard time with this game if I can't get through the box-opening without failing a sanity check.

Also: this is why the second edition was for me. Can you imagine what happens when I'm responsible for running the game in the first edition?

sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The sheer amount of labor involved in setting up first edition was the sole reason we didn't play it more often (and I ALWAYS had to be Keeper!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Lamps
msg tools
The only components that are compatible from the first edition are the tiles and the models. That's it. Everything else is new or in the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.