Subject: Rules clarification: how often an action may be taken rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Hayes
United States
Savoy
Illinois
flag msg tools
I recently bought this game and played it a bunch over the weekend. I love it! But, I need clarification on the main actions. On Page 6 of the English rules, it says that the value of the dice on an action space indicates how often an action may be taken, or how much of an item is gained.

For example, say I'm using two dice (4 and 5) to get some silk. I understand that I can only choose from the 4 column (because it's the lowest die result), giving me 3 silk. But does this also mean I can perform that action 3 additional times, giving me a total of 12 silk?

I'm confused because the rules say the die result indicates how many times you get to perform the action, but the examples in the rulebook imply you can only perform the action once.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You only get three silk.

I don't have the English rules, but in the German rules for Main Actions it is specified that the value of a die EITHER relates to how many times you may use an action OR how much of something you get.

The former case generally relates to city cards, the latter to printed actions on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
facemn wrote:
I recently bought this game and played it a bunch over the weekend. I love it! But, I need clarification on the main actions. On Page 6 of the English rules, it says that the value of the dice on an action space indicates how often an action may be taken, or how much of an item is gained.

For example, say I'm using two dice (4 and 5) to get some silk. I understand that I can only choose from the 4 column (because it's the lowest die result), giving me 3 silk. But does this also mean I can perform that action 3 additional times, giving me a total of 12 silk?

I'm confused because the rules say the die result indicates how many times you get to perform the action, but the examples in the rulebook imply you can only perform the action once.

Thanks!

This applies to the city actions, not board actions.

For example the one where you can trade one gold and one camel for 4 vp, you can do as many times as the number of pips on the die that you place there to take the action (and have enough gold+camels of course)

If there is the contract or trading post icon then it is the lower of number of pips and number you have - for example 2 coins for each trading post you have up to as many pips as you play.

Also note that the city action spaces cannot be shared in any way, but you MUST be able to use it at least once to claim it.

Also, you don't HAVE to use it as much as you can. In above example if you have three gold and four camels and put a three down on the 1 gold + 1 camel = 4 vp action spot, you can opt to use it just twice if you'd prefer.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hayes
United States
Savoy
Illinois
flag msg tools
Ok that's how we played it, only taking the 3 silk. However, we did not take multiple actions on the city cards. This makes so much more sense and also makes getting to certain city locations with good bonuses much more worth the journey/cost. Thanks everyone for the clarification. :)

-Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.