Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jono D
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Quick question, what is the benefits of ambushing vs not ambushing and forcing the hunter to search a lair and then resolving the card anyway?

I can't seem to think of any positives of ambushing unless I am missing something, not ambushing is slowing the hunter down.

Also, if a revealed vampire on the location track slides off the track does it mature? I guess this would go for any encounter cards that are not discarded and stayed revealed until dealt with that have a matured affect.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards have different effects if you ambush.

Of course a revealed vampire also matures. Why would it not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua F

New Hampshire
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you ambush then they don't get a chance to use Stake or Dogs prior to searching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jono D
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:

Of course a revealed vampire also matures. Why would it not?

I understand encounter cards have a 'ambush' effect and a 'matured' affect. I get that when you ambush you resolve the ambush affect, yet at the same time. If a hunter 'searches' you also resolve the ambush affect. That is why I don't get the benefit of ambushing.

gnarlywhal wrote:
If you ambush then they don't get a chance to use Stake or Dogs prior to searching.

Ah this makes sense. I hadn't thought of that. If a hunter searches, do you resolve all encounter cards at once or does he have to search multiple times? I believe you can ambush with all encounter cards at once if you wish.

Edit: After some further reading. When you ambush you can choose the order that the encounters are resolved in. When a hunter searches, he does indeed resolve all cards and gets to choose the order himself. Answered my own question!

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlastimil Mensik
Czech Republic
Praha 5
Praha
flag msg tools
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
mbmbmbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:

I do not think, this is true.
Aside from Maturing effect, which is irrelevant for searching or ambushing, the card's effects are the same, whether hunter is ambushed or is searching.
I believe you ambush if you think that the hunter would not search the location or if you want to avoid the effect of Stake or Dog item cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
CaesarV wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:

Aside from Maturing effect, which is irrelevant for searching or ambushing, the card's effects are the same, whether hunter is ambushed or is searching.
I believe you ambush if you think that the hunter would not search the location or if you want to avoid the effect of Stake or Dog item cards.

It's not a general rule, but some encounter cards specifically state different effects for ambush or search, and day or night. IIRC the Fog encounter is one such card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
CaesarV wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:

It's not a general rule, but some encounter cards specifically state different effects for ambush or search, and day or night. IIRC the Fog encounter is one such card.

The only different effects between Ambush & Search are that some encounters do not allow Ambush. Fog does have a slight variation depending on day or night, but there is no difference between Ambush and Search for this card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
DaveD wrote:
Orion3T wrote:

The only different effects between Ambush & Search are that some encounters do not allow Ambush. Fog does have a slight variation depending on day or night, but there is no difference between Ambush and Search for this card.

Yes that's exactly what I was getting at, but didn't have cards to physically check. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word 'explicitly'.

The point is sometimes the end effect of ambushing might be different. Ambushing with a vampire means Dracula has control of how many hunters will be present - by ambushing the first hunter to enter a city the combat will be 1v1, but it will occur during the day. If they don't ambush the hunters could potentially have another hunter go to the same location then the vampire will be outnumbered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Truce Idares
South Africa
flag msg tools
mb
I believe Reckless Vampire is Ambush specific:

Each time you resolve "Fangs" during an ambush,... etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prine
msg tools
The benefit really depends on the situation. One of my prouder moments as Dracula might shed some light on the advantages of ambushing, the advantages of not ambushing, and the importance of timing.

The hunters knew I had landed in Varna or Constanta. What they didn't know was that when I landed I had placed an Unnatural Fog encounter. Godalming moved to Constanta - I was in Varna. Then, Dr. Seward moved to Varna and revealed that I was there. I did not ambush with the fog. Van Helsing and Mina followed. When Mina arrived, I ambushed with the fog! I trapped all three of them in Varna for 2 turns and evaded combat.

So, it's situational. Sometimes leaving an encounter unrevealed can buy you time while the hunters search the location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Nagy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaesarV wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:

Stake is indeed only working during Search but Dogs are working during an ambush, too. However Dogs have to be discarded to prevent the encounter from affecting the Hunter. While during search they only have to be revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.