Marvel Dice Masters: Age of Ultron» Forums » General

Subject: Game Primer-Quick questions from a newbie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I picked up a starter set and have maybe 10 booster packs. I have not played the game yet, but am hoping that someone can give me a quick lowdown of the game format/trading scene in one fell swoop.

1. It appears that each character has multiple cards. Some are common, uncommon, etc. I presume that the higher the rarity, the better the card. Would this be correct.

2. It appears that all character dice are the same, so a rare card comes with the same die as the common card. Correct?

3. Are all commons traded more or less straight up for other commons, rares for rares, etc. ? Or, are there significantly more desirable cards within each tier? I know in the Star Wars minis game, some minis were drastically differently valued based on gameplay issues or character popularity, even though they were in the same rarity tier. Is that true with this as well?

4. Is there an accepted set value between tiers? For instance, 2 commons for 1 uncommon; 3 uncommons for 1 rare, etc.?

5. Where is the sweet spot for what you need to play the game and have a great experience? How many cards/dice options realistically do you need?

6. Ebay....overpriced/overvalued or is the market there pretty fair?

Thanks for the quick answers in advance. I did not intend to get into another collectible game, but the theme and the good reviews pulled me in. I don't intend to go all in by completing sets, but would like to get just enough to provide for a fun game experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. Not necessarily - really depends on your strategy.

2. Yes

3. Don't know...

4. Also don't know but I don't see a big difference in value / distribution between Commons and Uncommons or, maybe more accurately, realize that in some cases you will want 3 or 4 dice for a card so an extra common isn't always a bad thing.

5. I find at about 40 - 50 boosters I start getting too many duplicates so then I go to an online vendor to fill in the gaps. However, to answer your question - well, I'd say still around 40 boosters (each player) gives pretty good choices.

6. Don't know - but look at 2 and inkjet printers can be your friend...

Hope this helps - welcome to the Addiction !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1.) As a general rule, each Starter character has 3 versions in the starter and one in boosters. For each set other than the first 2, the booster version comes in Common rarity, so it's pretty easy to get the dice you need for that character. For the non-Starter characters, they come in 3 rarities - Common, Uncommon, and Rare. Each set, 4 characters have a Super-Rare version that replaces 1 of the other versions (usually the Rare). In addition, each set since Age of Ultron also includes 4 cards that only exist as Super-Rares, and have a Max Dice of 1 (the one unique die that the card comes with). For Marvel, these were the Marvel Zombies (and What If? characters in Civil War and going forward). For DC, these are the Black Lanterns (White Lanterns going forward). For D&D2, these were "Epic Magical Items".

A Gravity Feed (90 boosters) will almost always have 2 Super Rares (occasionally 1), about half of the Rares (16-17ish), basically all the Uncommons (duplicates of some, occasionally missing 1-2), and usually about 2 full Common sets.

As to power levels, this is an area where Dice Masters really shines. You can absolutely build a very competitive team with only Starter and Common cards. Some of the absolute best cards in the game are found in the Starter Sets and/or Commons. There are definitely also some "power Rares" and "power Super-Rares", but DM is absolutely not a "pay-to-win" game.

2.) Aside from the unique SRs discussed above, this is correct. So unlike Magic where you need 4 copies of a Super Rare card, with DM you only need 1 and you can supplement with the Common version's dice. For casual/kitchen table play, this also makes "proxying" (home printing) the rare cards very easy to do.

3.) As a general rule, Commons and Uncommons aren't traded (with some extremely rare exceptions). Most of the hardcore players will buy at least 1 Gravity Feed, possibly a case (2 feeds) or more in order to complete the set, and then sell off their excess Common/Uncommon sets to recoup some of their investment. So almost no one really wants the extra Common/Uncommon cards. Basically all trading is done at the Rare/Super-Rare level.

Many people will just trade rarity for rarity, but there are always some "power rares" that can command as much or more as a Super-Rare, and there are also always some "trash Super-Rares" that hold very little value. A lot of people will use CoolStuffInc prices as a standard to gauge relative value for a trade. The value is virtually always tied to the competitive play viability of the card, and almost never to the popularity of the character.

4.) Again, CSI is a generally accepted barometer for relative value.

5.) I recommond for general casual play to just get a common/uncommon set (usually with max dice) off eBay for plenty of variability. If you really want to play competitively, just do some research and buy/trade for singles you need.

6.) Probably decent, go by "Completed sales" though not by what people are asking for

Welcome to the game, also check out http://www.thereservepool.com for any and all questions and discussion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.