$20.00
Nathanael Green
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Paul Klee, "Tod und Feuer" (1940)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm mad as hell right now. As I wrote in another thread, I was a little underwhelmed by the first scenario, but this fourth scenario seemed to be putting some of my doubts to rest. After five hours of engaging storytelling (as far as games go) I had figured out the culprit and was about to put their scheme to rest when a crucial interact token simply stopped working. For those who've played the scenario,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
it was one of the three rune puzzles you have to complete to stop the ritual at the final location.
You could click it, and it would make the clicking noise, but no window with options would come up. I've got video of it and will upload it when I'm not on mobile.

I paid $100 for this game. Out of the four scenarios, one has been underwhelming and the other was broken. Even if they fix this bug, I can't replicate the experience of playing this scenario for the first time again, even if there are story variations. I'm really glad I was just solo-ing it, and not playing it with my friends who are already skeptical about the game due to bad experiences with the first edition. Having that happen after five hours would have permanently kept this game from hitting the table at our meetup. I know it's certainly put a huge damper on my enthusiasm for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I'm shocked by the state of it, it's self-evident they rushed it out to make GenCon.

I said before release "there's going to be hell to pay if this thing crashes", but I never in my wildest imagined it would be in this bad a state.

Mine doesn't arrive until the end of the week but at this point I may as well park it for a month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan, do you know which version of the app you have?

Lance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kill the app and then launch it again, and click the Continue button. The App "auto saves" so relaunching might reset something in the app to make it clickable.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Green
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lancemoody wrote:
Nathan, do you know which version of the app you have?

Lance

I'm on Mac, using Steam, and have version 1.0.1, which was updated on the 5th and I believe is the most recent version according to the news section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Was it 5 hours gameplay for the 4th scenario or for all 4 scenarios? Just wondering about total game time.

Sorry about the glitch. That sucks. Reminds me a little bit of how I was 120+ hours into final fantasy 12 when my PS3 bricked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each scenario has an estimated time to play. The 4th scenarios is 240 to 360 minutes. So he's only talking about the 4th scenario. The 1st scenario is only 60 to 90 minutes to complete.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Green
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esswhy wrote:
Was it 5 hours gameplay for the 4th scenario or for all 4 scenarios? Just wondering about total game time.

Sorry about the glitch. That sucks. Reminds me a little bit of how I was 120+ hours into final fantasy 3 when my PS3 bricked.

The final scenario is 4-6 hours long. It's a whodunnit like "A Cry for Help" in Call of the Wild, but on a much grander scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Green
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Kill the app and then launch it again, and click the Continue button. The App "auto saves" so relaunching might reset something in the app to make it clickable.

-shnar

The old "have you tried turning it off and on again?" Come on, give me some credit. First thing I tried, no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hartloff
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know android and iOS versions were updated yesterday, and there were a few bugs mentioned. Maybe check for an update?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NYColts18 wrote:
I know android and iOS versions were updated yesterday, and there were a few bugs mentioned. Maybe check for an update?

That's 1.01. Every platform got that update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Shmo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Oh that sucks :-( I was really looking forward to playing Scenario#4 next weekend (after succesfully completing #1 and #3 and suffering the lockup bug in #2). So we're going to have to wait on an update to play 2 out of the 4 scenarios? That's pretty disappointing. It really does look like its been rushed out for GenCon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Looks like I will hold off until there is another update or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TRK27 wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

The old "have you tried turning it off and on again?" Come on, give me some credit. First thing I tried, no effect.

how am I supposed to give you credit when I don't know you nor your experience with this app? Many players don't know that the app auto saves, so just trying to be helpful.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Green
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
TRK27 wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

how am I supposed to give you credit when I don't know you nor your experience with this app? Many players don't know that the app auto saves, so just trying to be helpful.

-shnar

I'm sorry, it was perhaps uncalled for. I'm just really irritated by this whole situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should have waited for MOM 3rd edition, but all kidding aside, after playing that long the last thing you want is this to happen. This also happens in computer games and usually fixed with a patch, but computer games are much cheaper in price than MOM 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Skipping playing long scenarios because the save glitch and waiting for the next app update to keep my sanity in the high place . Maybe in a few days.

In patch 1.01

"Please note: We have detected various issues with saved games. We recommend trying to play a scenario in a single session if possible."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jérémy royaux
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sad
i'll get my game today or tomorrow
now i'm scared to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loud smoker
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@TRK27 : I feel your pain sir , I have been for years a videogame player and after a zillion patches ,troubleshoot, game broken at release , I gave up and move to boardgames , I can not remember a game that I plug in my PC / or consolle and it was bug free, no matter what, video games have been always junk after junk ....

I would love to get MoM 2 but the fact the I have to rely on an app put me off , and you as many others are confirming my initial concern , yes even this time the software soon or late will crash ( obviously they will release a patch , but I bet something else will get broken or nothing will get fixed an another patch release will be announced ...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kime
United Kingdom
Brimfield
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
blackshad wrote:
sad
i'll get my game today or tomorrow
now i'm scared to play

Draw 2 horror cards face up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey van Dorp
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TRK27 wrote:
shnar wrote:
TRK27 wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

-shnar

I'm sorry, it was perhaps uncalled for. I'm just really irritated by this whole situation.

I can imagine you got irritated by this happening to you. I experienced the same the day the game got released and got really mad, because it ruined the game for my wife and I had to convince her that an update of the app would fix it.

I emailed an extensive bug report to FFG and today got a message back.
They will release an update later this week / beginning of next week to fix a lot of the issues mentioned in various threads. Fingers crossed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Lamps
msg tools
Thank you for posting this here. I had a similar problem with scenario 2 and was worried about embarking on 4 in case it also had a bug. I'll hold off until patched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm we played scenario 2 last night and app went frozen, we could click the options, resize the map but that was all :/ Maybe an autosave will help? We need to try it...

But, is there any bug in scenario 2? And 4? really ffg ... damn :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took receipt of my copy of the game last Saturday. I did post the very same day concerning my somewhat underwhelmed initial reaction as regards the components in the box vs the £70 price tag, but qualified that by acknowledging the fact that a significant part of the game was contained in the app/software.

However, after opening the box, I noticed a steady stream of posts concerning bugs and glitches in the software. Consequently, I decided to hold off playing it until the app/software was patched sufficiently so that problems as cited by the OP were not likely to be encountered.

I don't know how long I will hold off playing it now, as even after the first patch, it is obvious that there will have to be further patches applied.

Though I have never been to an event like GenCon, I still harbour hopes that one day I will get to go, as I think it would be an absolutely amazing experience. I can readily appreciate that all the game companies view such an event as a golden opportunity to showcase their latest products to the world and gain a great deal of publicity and exposure in the gaming world.

This begs the question that such an event can be a two-edged sword. It is starting to look like FFG rushed development of MoM2 in order to unveil it (and make it available for sale) for GenCon 2016. Had the app/software been thoroughly tested that would indeed have been a golden opportunity that you could not begrudge them.

But ... given that multiple gamers have posted about spoilt games due to bugs and glitches, then I conclude that the product was not ready to be released for GenCon 2016. That so many have reported bugs, and at the very start of their delving into the game, makes me wonder just how much and how thorough playtesting went on prior to its release. If all these BGGers can discover glitches/bugs, then surely the same would have been true for the playtesters?

It disappoints me greatly that, after shelling out £70 for the game, it now appears to be prudent to put it on the shelf for perhaps a month or more, so that the app/software can be brought to the state where it is robust enough to be "fit for purpose".

We are not talking about a two-dime company here; we are talking about FFG, one of the leading board game publishers with a world-wide customer base. Surely the golden opportunity of GenCon is not worth the tarnished reputation they are likely to get as a result of releasing a product that looks to need more development and testing?

It appears to me that we will see more examples of this fusion of board games with digital media (app/software). There are many possibilities that game publishers and designers will be itching to explore. I am all for that, as at the end of the day, it is unlikely to lead to the demise of the purely physical board game, but will mean that those that are interested in this new direction will have their interest catered for, while those who decline to travel down this road will still be catered for too.

That said, there are two points that I consider publishers like FFG should think about:

1) If the fusion of digital media with board games - with the app/software taking over functions that would otherwise require physical components in the game box - is to become more prevalent in the industry, then stop the claim that the game comes with a free digital download. These companies market products that are designed to appeal to intelligent, thinking people; customers are not brain-dead and will appreciate that, for example, a game like MoM2 at £70 is priced so that the development and maintenance cost of the software is recouped.

2) Given that an app/software requirement to play the game effectively takes control out of the individual player(s) hands when it comes to certain functions/mechanics within the game as it is played, companies' should strive to ensure that examples such as we have read about this past week do not occur on such a scale. (I appreciate that there is, and probably never will be, software written that doesn't contain bugs/glitches, but they should not be so readily apparent at the initial stages of a player's experience with a scenario/game). In short, just as they should playest a purely physical board game to ensure it is playable, then that needs to be done with integrated board games/digital media ... a gamer can always devise a house-ruled workaround for a shortcoming in a purely physical board game, but with a software-dependent game they are kinda screwed.)

Edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
More Mellotron wrote:
I have to say I'm shocked by the state of it, it's self-evident they rushed it out to make GenCon.

I was a playtester for this game, and I can't really say much in regard to this, but this was definitely not the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.