tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
Still better than Obama.

How and why? and I say that as someone who is no fan of Obama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
ironcates wrote:
Still better than Obama.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regurgitating random data points doesn't make your case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:

Sorry, I forgot reason and evidence has no value in RSP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
Evidence in a vacuum has no value. Please apply the "reason" you omitted. Can you do the following if you are going to use that data?

A) Reformat the graphs so as to have longer time frames and accurate scales?
B) Indicate for each measure what policy Obama implemented that caused whatever data change you are claiming? Ensure to indicate how Congress had no influence on the data or on any policies that Obama tried to implement to address the particular conclusion you arrived at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Worker participation, how is more pensioners Obama's fault?

Also how does this

Tally with your table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
whac3 wrote:
ironcates wrote:
Still better than Obama.

Remember when these graphs were criticised? (Arbitrary scales and time periods etc. etc.
Why are do you right-wingers never realise that repeating stuff doesn't make it any truer?
I commend you to the GDP graph from the same source, https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/GDPC1/?utm_source=fred-gl... which you seem to have neglected to post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
whac3 wrote:
ironcates wrote:
Still better than Obama.

Data is the basis of an argument. It is not the argument itself. We've got the data and so what case do you make based on that data?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
ironcates wrote:
Evidence in a vacuum has no value. Please apply the "reason" you omitted. Can you do the following if you are going to use that data?

A) Reformat the graphs so as to have longer time frames and accurate scales?
B) Indicate for each measure what policy Obama implemented that caused whatever data change you are claiming? Ensure to indicate how Congress had no influence on the data or on any policies that Obama tried to implement to address the particular conclusion you arrived at.

He's at the limits that the FED graphing tool applies. Not all databases are complete.

But yea, you need a candidate who has policies that might have an effect. Given almost 30 years of republican control of the ability to create and pass legislation, the graphs are more damning than affirming of continued republican congressional control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
ironcates wrote:
whac3 wrote:
ironcates wrote:
Still better than Obama.

Data is the basis of an argument. It is not the argument itself. We've got the data and so what case do you make based on that data?
Thought it was obvious but I can see that the Obama fans are a little slow. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE CHARTS SHOWS BAD NEWS SINCE THE BEGINNING OF OBAMA'S TENURE!!

It's not a problem with the scales. If you want to see as equal a time scale as possible, see here The problem is that people don't know how to read charts. The data comes from the Fed, so you guys are arguing against the government you are so proud of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
whac3 wrote:
ironcates wrote:
whac3 wrote:
ironcates wrote:
Still better than Obama.

Thought it was obvious but I can see that the Obama fans are a little slow. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE CHARTS SHOWS BAD NEWS SINCE THE BEGINNING OF OBAMA'S TENURE!!

It's not a problem with the scales. If you want to see as equal a time scale as possible, see here The problem is that people don't know how to read charts. The data comes from the Fed, so you guys are arguing against the government you are so proud of.
And how about my one?

How about the fact my one shows that no only is median income now rising, but it is higher then it was in 1995?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:

I commend you to the GDP graph from the same source, https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/GDPC1/?utm_source=fred-gl... which you seem to have neglected to post.
GDP in the context of the money printing and loans is kind of ridiculous plus you'll notice that GDP dips then grows at a slower pace when Obama comes in. So, I don't think you understand the chart that you posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

How about the fact my one shows that no only is median income now rising, but it is higher then it was in 1995?
Great, we're at 1995 levels, win for Obama?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:

GDP in the context of the money printing and loans is kind of ridiculous plus you'll notice that GDP dips then grows at a slower pace when Obama comes in. So, I don't think you understand the chart that you posted.

Half of your charts deal in dollar cost without adjusting for inflation so complaining about his GDP chart not taking into account money supply changes is... yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
whac3 wrote:
ironcates wrote:
whac3 wrote:
ironcates wrote:
Still better than Obama.

As I said, I am no fan of Obama. I think he's terrible. You said though that he's worse than either Clinton or Trump. You have yet to prove that contention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
The data comes from the Fed, so you guys are arguing against the government you are so proud of.
First off, the government is broken and not too many people are proud of it as a whole. Secondly, they aren't even part of the government. Just entwined with it.

From wikipedia:
Quote:
In Lewis v. United States,[76] the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit stated that: "The Reserve Banks are not federal instrumentalities for purposes of the FTCA [the Federal Tort Claims Act], but are independent, privately owned and locally controlled corporations."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Great, we're at 1995 levels, win for Obama?
No we are higher, so that means he is better then Regan (whose were lower).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
ironcates wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:

Half of your charts deal in dollar cost without adjusting for inflation so complaining about his GDP chart not taking into account money supply changes is... yeah.

When you lose money under inflation it's doubly bad. Median income should be keeping up with inflation the fact that it goes down is even worse... so , yeah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
"Sir! Put the graphs down! Place your hands behind your head and get on your knees."

- The Econometrics Police
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
whac3 wrote:
ironcates wrote:
whac3 wrote:
ironcates wrote:
Still better than Obama.

You need to recheck your graphs because the problem is visibly starting before obama came into office in about 2003. This was solidly in Bush Jr's term. They gathered steam until being dumped on Obama's doorstep.
Caveat tho: 9/11 dumped a major piece of crap in Bush's lap. Also greenspan holding interests rates too low too long artificially pulled forward economic activity until it blew up in a series of huge bubbles. Also, republican PLUS democratic policies deregulating banks and pushing easy housing loans also created a huge financial crisis.

Obama spent most of his first term trying to fix the mess left for him in the face of a republican house and senate that slow walked every appointment and voted no to every proposal (often without offering counter proposals- they were simply the "Party of No" and they said as much (it's only become more obvious with the recent supreme court travesty).

Anyway, your own graphs show the problem started long before Obama took office. Look at them again and tell me how on earth you can conclude Obama is responsible for events starting in 2003 to 2008*. You've actually proven the problems started years earlier under Bush.

*Since Obama wasn't even in office til 1/20/2009 and it took at least a few months to get rolling, most of 2009 is on Bush also.

*And the republicans repeatedly blocked Obama's attempts to fix the problem. They wanted him to fail- even at the expense of the entire country failing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

You need to recheck your graphs because the problem is visibly starting before obama came into office in about 2003. This was solidly in Bush Jr's term. They gathered steam until being dumped on Obama's doorstep.
Caveat tho: 9/11 dumped a major piece of crap in Bush's lap. Also greenspan holding interests rates too low too long artificially pulled forward economic activity until it blew up in a series of huge bubbles. Also, republican PLUS democratic policies deregulating banks and pushing easy housing loans also created a huge financial crisis.

Obama spent most of his first term trying to fix the mess left for him in the face of a republican house and senate that slow walked every appointment and voted no to every proposal (often without offering counter proposals- they were simply the "Party of No" and they said as much (it's only become more obvious with the recent supreme court travesty).

Anyway, your own graphs show the problem started long before Obama took office. Look at them again and tell me how on earth you can conclude Obama is responsible for events starting in 2003 to 2008*. You've actually proven the problems started years earlier under Bush.

*Since Obama wasn't even in office til 1/20/2009 and it took at least a few months to get rolling, most of 2009 is on Bush also.

*And the republicans repeatedly blocked Obama's attempts to fix the problem. They wanted him to fail- even at the expense of the entire country failing.

I'm open to the idea that Bush is responsible for some declines. The original context of bringing up the charts was "Make America Great Again" I think Trump is an outsider that puts blame on both sides of the aisle.

The OP was saying that Clinton-Trump was everyone's worst nightmare but let's put it in context, we survived the last two presidents. I don't imagine Clinton or Trump will be as bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.