Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
50 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Game of Thrones: The Iron Throne» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report from Gen Con - from a Cosmic Encounter fan's perspective rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried it, but I wasn't blown away by it.

If someone has never played Cosmic Encounter before, and are a fan of the GoT IP, then they will probably like it.

I have been playing Cosmic for 20 or 30 years and this is just not nearly as fun.

It was hard to see who was attacking who and who was supporting who. You have a disc that has a small sword icon on the top and a shield icon on the bottom and you turn the orientation one way or another to indicate if you are attacking or allying with the attacker, etc.
However, the symbols don't stand out and you don't move your guys onto a big, obvious cone like in Cosmic, so if you look away for a few seconds, you will have to ask the other players who is attacking who.

If I do end up owning this game I think I will house rule it that the attacker and the defender push their disks together in the middle of the table to make it more obvious what is going on ... and so forth with the allies.

I didn't like the crowns, personally. Having them all be identical after being used to Cosmic's different colored ships really annoyed me.

You only have a small set of powers to use based on the cards in your hand, and some of them were not real exciting, like J. Mormont's ability to force folks on the other side to release hostages or whatever. I didn't see much benefit to keeping hostages. It felt like a very tacked on mechanic. I just turned around and handed them back and let myself draw another card every time I got one. Having more cards is fun - having a hostage card sitting there doing nothing that you might be forced to give up at some point anyway .... just didn't seem amazing.

Also - the combat cards were pretty boring ... I saw one 20 get played, and I had a 12 at one point, but I had a big old hand full of 3's, 4s, 5s, and other low junk for the most part. Having only 2 kinds of cards ... boring attack cards and 5 or so choices of identical power cards ... made it feel very underwhelming - especially when used to all the excitement of kickers, edicts, flares, re-inforcements, etc. etc. from Cosmic.

I don't want to poo-poo this game too much, because I am a huge GoT fan and also a huge CE fan, and like I said earlier, if you are not a Cosmic Encounter veteran, you will most likely think this game is pretty cool ... BUT ... I AM a CE veteran and this felt like weak tea in comparison, to me ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Seems your first complaints are mainly aesthetic, which don't seem so problematic to me, but the lack of fun stuff (flares etc), and the reported blandness of hostage taking is a little more troublesome.

Are you sure you didn't go into the play with a negative mindset? Sometimes, with a new mechanic like hostages (which I haven't tried), it takes a few plays to understand their subtleties...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was highly concerned that this might be the case. It seems the Iron Thorne is essentially CE's "first time playing? Green aliens and no flares/rewards deck" except that's the entire game.

The thing I enjoyed about Cosmic is it felt more like a sandbox. You can make it as easy or as difficult as you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Searles
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the criticisms here are all very valid. I was also not blown away when I first played it.

That being said, I think a lot of the problem is comparing it to Cosmic. It's not Cosmic, it's very loosely based on a few of Cosmic's mechanics, but it's as far from cosmic as Checkers is from Chess.

I think they mentioned Cosmic in the press release to get Cosmic fans to look at it. Unfortunately, Cosmic is such a polarizing game (you either love it or hate it), so this comparison isn't doing them any favors.

In the end, this is a lighter game that I'm looking forward to picking up and will probably see quite a bit of play mainly because of the theme. I expect when I feel like playing a simple multiplayer game (and Cosmic is simple) but players are too intimidated by Cosmic, this will make it to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for reporting on your experience.

If you just take cards for hostages, then things end up little different from compensation. Did you find that some of the powers used hostages and crowns in ways that couldn't happen in CE?

Is it possible that the game focuses more on strategy than wackiness? The set of cards isn't that different original Eon or the Avalon Hill edition. I assume that expansions could increase the card variety, but watering down the use of house powers might be a bad thing.

Do unique sets of player cards make the houses play more differently from each other compared to just having a player power?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
Hmm. Seems your first complaints are mainly aesthetic, which don't seem so problematic to me, but the lack of fun stuff (flares etc), and the reported blandness of hostage taking is a little more troublesome.

Are you sure you didn't go into the play with a negative mindset? Sometimes, with a new mechanic like hostages (which I haven't tried), it takes a few plays to understand their subtleties...

I absolutely didn't go in with a negative mindset.
I went in with a cautious mindset - thinking "I know this won't have as many choices as Cosmic, but if they nail the few powers they do have and put a GoT twist on things - hopefully this will be a fun experience. This might be a Cosmic Lite game that I could pull out when people don't have enough time to play Cosmic. AND ... maybe this could be a gateway game to get more people into playing Cosmic."

I really want to try it again now that I know what to expect, and see if I can get into the spirit of the game. I am hoping that, now that I know its not going to qualify as Cosmic Lite for me, that I can find some other way to enjoy this game.

I refuse to believe, after just one play, that a Reese's Cup combination of 2 such awesome things is not going to be amazing.

I wish I had been able to set my mind to try the experience completely fresh with no pre-conceptions, but I just couldn't.

So if you are not a Cosmic Encounters veteran, there are things to enjoy about this game.
Attacking other players and using different strength attack cards would be boring in Cosmic Encounters if that was all you did.
The variable player powers would make Cosmic fun even if that was the only other thing you added to the numbered attack cards. Every other thing that Cosmic adds just keeps on increasing the fun (other than the weird stuff that most people don't use like lucre and moons).

In this new game - you have the numbered attack cards, but the special powers are not as crazy and wild as the Cosmic powers. You can see some huge swings in CE, but in this game everything felt very balanced.
Some folks might look at that as a good thing, but I don't. There are tons of games out there that are balanced, so I look forward to the wild swings and surprises of Cosmic.

Here is how my experience went. I played House Targaryen and picked Khal Drogo to be my character.
As I played, I acquired hostages. The first 3 hostages I got, by drawing blindly from either a person's hand or from their draw deck, were not exciting. I drew a 1 power attack card, then a 2, then another 2.
Now I could have sat on those cards and prevented the other guys from using them, but by sitting on their worst cards I was only helping them, so I returned them and drew cards for returning them.

Now I have gained a couple cards here and there from ally rewards and I have gained 3 or 4 cards from cashing in useless hostage cards, so my hand is full ... I have nearly my whole deck at one point. I am only playing a card that helps every now and then, so there are more cards coming in than going out.

This if fine except that it means that i now have a big old hand full of attack cards mixed with powers. I am holding a 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 12, and multiples of the Jorah M. card and multiples of the Doreah card and so forth. Well I am only ever going to play my highest card each time I can fight, so having 8 or 9 low cards just sits there and mostly does nothing exciting in my hand.

Now there were a few situations where I was able to double someone's support on an ally or force the other guy's allies to leave (like the force field card in CE), so there were a few cases where for a minute or two it felt like playing Cosmic Lite.

But mostly what I did during the game was move a couple of yellow plastic crowns from Khal Drogo to one of my other characters (think planets with ships on them from CE) and back again. And take hostages.
And release hostages. And draw more cards from releasing hostages.
And move more crowns back and forth.

I did place Influence onto other peoples characters, in the same way that you place a base on someone else's planet in CE.
I won by trading an influence for an influence (in CE known as a base for a base) with the Stark player and we had a mutual win.

In my games of CE we don't allow that as it is a VERY anti-climactic way to win. I can't remember if that is allowed in the current CE rule set and I am too lazy to go look it up, but it is a big no-no in my CE games either way.

So 2 players get to 4 influence and then just make a deal and they win and there is no battle or chance to use cards to mess with a battle and the game is over.

I could see traces of CE Lite here and there, but I just felt like the graphic design choices and the "Capturing and Torturing Hostages" part which sounds so exciting was mostly just take a card from someone, give it back, and draw another attack card to add to your big hand of attack cards.

I wanted to write this session report to convey my experience, since there was a lack of other information about how people enjoyed this game, but I don't want people to not buy and/or try this game based on what I am saying.

It didn't seem like any of the other players at the table had every played or heard of Cosmic Encounter before and they all seemed to get
into the spirit of their GoT houses and they all seemed to be having a good time.

I think the game is most likely sound mechanically (minus a few house rules or small changes to graphic design like moving attacker and defender disks to the middle so you can tell at a glance who is fighting who and possibly coloring in the attack icons on people's disks bright red to more easily show who the attacker is).

I think it will be fun for the average person and probably very fun for gamers that have never played Cosmic Encounter. I think its most likely going to be a big hit.

I do think, though, that if you are a huge fan of Cosmic Encounter like I am, that you will probably just say ... "even though I am a GoT fan too, I don't see why I would ever play this when I could just play Cosmic which does everything here so much better and with so many more options, in roughly the same amount of play time".

I will definitely be trying this again one or two more times at least - to make sure I am not missing anything and to see how the other Houses feel to play.
I freely admit that I wasn't able to go in without any expectations and I really hope that this will grow on me with future plays.
If it was not Game of Thrones themed, I would probably just throw in the towel after that one play, but I will give this lots of chances to prove me wrong because Game of Thrones is so freaking cool!

I am interested to hear other peoples opinions on this from their sessions as well to see if I am on point or way off on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crasher wrote:
I think the criticisms here are all very valid. I was also not blown away when I first played it.

That being said, I think a lot of the problem is comparing it to Cosmic. It's not Cosmic, it's very loosely based on a few of Cosmic's mechanics, but it's as far from cosmic as Checkers is from Chess.

I think they mentioned Cosmic in the press release to get Cosmic fans to look at it. Unfortunately, Cosmic is such a polarizing game (you either love it or hate it), so this comparison isn't doing them any favors.

In the end, this is a lighter game that I'm looking forward to picking up and will probably see quite a bit of play mainly because of the theme. I expect when I feel like playing a simple multiplayer game (and Cosmic is simple) but players are too intimidated by Cosmic, this will make it to the table.

I wouldn't say "loosely based" ... I would say "tightly based" ... lol

This was designed by the Cosmic Encounter designers.
It has various players that have unique powers.
You have a stack of plastic things that add to your combat total and you move them from disk to disk.
You have an attacker who draws a card telling him who to attack randomly.
You have allies that can join in on the attack and on the defense to increase the totals.
Allies occasionally can play powers that affect the combat totals.
You draw cards for compensation and you move influence onto other
players disks when you are part of the winning team.
You get hands of combat cards in the range of 1-20.

This is ABSOLUTELY a subset of Cosmic Encounter.
There is no mistaking that.

The question is - is it a fun subset or did they miss the mark?
Is the GoT theme and the FEW minor changes enough to make you want
to own this if you already own Cosmic Encounter?
It will take me at least one more play to definitively answer that. I want the answer to be yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
Thanks for reporting on your experience.

If you just take cards for hostages, then things end up little different from compensation. Did you find that some of the powers used hostages and crowns in ways that couldn't happen in CE?

Is it possible that the game focuses more on strategy than wackiness? The set of cards isn't that different original Eon or the Avalon Hill edition. I assume that expansions could increase the card variety, but watering down the use of house powers might be a bad thing.

Do unique sets of player cards make the houses play more differently from each other compared to just having a player power?

The hostage taking mechanic was like taking compensation. The fact that you take a card from someone and give it back to them to draw a card instead of using the card you take is slightly different but not much. The fact that you can "sit on" the card you take is the only part that feels a little different.
One time I drew the IMP special card from the Lannister player instead of just the usual small combat card. I tried sitting on it for a couple of rounds instead of immediately giving it back.
Maybe it hampered him in some small way, but I couldn't tell if it did. There are multiple copies of that same card in his deck after all and nobody seemed to be starved for cards in our game.
So I eventually just gave it back and drew a card.

The only other thing that felt different was that instead of putting "ships" on different planets and using those for strength, you kept all your "ships" which are crowns in this game on your own "planets" which are character disks in this game. You sent them back and forth from your main character disk in order to strengthen your sub character disks that you fight with.

This was similar to stacking ships on your planets, with the difference that when you won - instead of moving your ships to the planet you just won on in CE - here you picked up one of your 5 "influence" disks and placed it on that players system.

That part was interesting. You didn't have to deplete your combat strength by spreading your ships out over several captured foreign bases ...instead you kept using your "crowns" on your home systems.

Of the two changes that I saw from CE, the Hostage Taking and the Using Crowns/Influence, I'd say the Hostage Taking didn't excite me (maybe I missed some subtlety?) and the Using Crowns/Influence disks was the only one that looked like someone's attempt to improve a mechanic.
Was it an improvement?
In one way I liked the keeping your ships/crowns and not thinning yourself out, but in another, you sacrificed a lot of aesthetics by everyone having identical looking crowns all over their disks instead of having personal fleets of their player color on their system and scattered out with other player ships of different colors across the playing field on captured bases.

To me personally, the slight gain of using an influence disk and keeping your strength totals higher instead of spreading out was not worth the sacrifice of losing the colored individual fleets and everyone having a big stack of samey looking crowns.
Others might feel the opposite and think the samey looking stacks of crowns are very cool. That is most likely a personal preference there.

I think the individual "styles" of the Houses would take a few more plays to answer that question. It did seem like there were traces of making the feel of each house be appropriately themed.

I was Khal Drogo and I only got my little bonus when I was part of the winning side - as if I were a raider and was pillaging.

I remember the Stark player being Eddard and he had the option of making a truce with someone even if he played an attack card ... and that seemed thematic as well -like he was the peacemaker or something.

I do believe that the individual "feel" of the houses is probably represented well, but it will take me more plays to fully see that play out. I couldn't tell you after 1 play what the 3 other houses we play with other than Targaryen and Stark were doing that was thematic ... but I would bet their stuff matched up to their "feel" in some way as well.

It was hard to tell if the powers did things that didn't happen already in Cosmic mechanics. I didn't notice anything that really stood out - it seemed like everything for the most part was just something CE already did.
I could have missed something though because I was busy trying to figure out my own cards, but I didn't notice anything during that session.

It may be that the game does have a more subtle style of gameplay than the "wild west" feel that I am used to with Cosmic. I hope that is the case and that I just have to adjust to it and find that there is gold down in the bottom of that mine-shaft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
To offer a different perspective, I rather enjoyed this one and think I'd prefer to play it over Cosmic.

A brief summary of points I enjoyed:
- I liked that it was less random and crazy than Cosmic. The more limited pool of options let me strategize a bit more, rather than thinking "well, he could have one of any number of flares I haven't seen, reinforcement cards, several different artifacts, rift cards, etc..." Instead, the set of possibilities was constrained enough that I felt like I was making decisions based on real information.
- "Planets" being unique and tied to special powers gave me a reason to value certain characters over others. I liked that it promoted maybe defending with a weaker character or keeping a stronger character out of the fight so that you didn't risk losing their special ability.
- I didn't think the hostage mechanic was weak or tacked on at all. Being able to land the killing blow (or bluff that you can) on a character at any time made for a very powerful negotiating tactic. I liked that it gave players another option in negotiations, as I've found the negotiations in standard Cosmic to be a bit flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian, thanks for your detailed responses; they were very helpful in understanding what was going on and your personal perspective.

Matt, you've said what I was hoping to hear. However, given Ian's comments, I think that I'll probably wait to play the game at BGG.Con.

Sassycat wrote:
- I didn't think the hostage mechanic was weak or tacked on at all. Being able to land the killing blow (or bluff that you can) on a character at any time made for a very powerful negotiating tactic. I liked that it gave players another option in negotiations, as I've found the negotiations in standard Cosmic to be a bit flat.

This wasn't something that I knew about. Is this basically Dune's traitor mechanic?

gloocose wrote:
I won by trading an influence for an influence (in CE known as a base for a base) with the Stark player and we had a mutual win.

In my games of CE we don't allow that as it is a VERY anti-climactic way to win. I can't remember if that is allowed in the current CE rule set and I am too lazy to go look it up, but it is a big no-no in my CE games either way.

So 2 players get to 4 influence and then just make a deal and they win and there is no battle or chance to use cards to mess with a battle and the game is over.

I believe that trading up to one foreign colony is allowed in all versions of the rules. One of the reasons why you want to limit your opponents to three, rather than only try to lock out players who are about to win.

Don't know if Iron Throne has a version of Quash/Breach....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As far as killing someone off, I didn't mention that earlier, because it wasn't a factor in our game.
In essence, one of the choices of returning a hostage card is that you can remove on crown off of one of the player's character disks that the hostage belongs to.
Stacks of crowns get larger and smaller on the character disks over the course of the game.
If you are down to 1 crown on say Arya Stark, then if someone returns a hostage from House Stark they can choose to remove that last crown instead of drawing a card. This kills off the Arya disk and you can't use her power cards from that point on.

We had 2 people in our game have character disks that got flipped due to losing all the crowns on them.
It made little or no impact in our game since they had 4 other characters to use and the powers are all kind of tame, so losing that one out of 4 options didn't make them pause at all. They were only going to get to use so many cards, 1 at a time - due to the limited nature of when you can play cards anyway. They might never have had the chance or inclination to use the lost character's card in the first place. They were easily able to move on having lost a character disk.

I will agree with you here though - the standard options for negotiations are a bit flat in Cosmic.
Usually just "a base for a base" except for the final round where we don't allow that.
Unfortunately, I don't think they are any more exciting in this game.
What I saw was "an influence for an influence" which is a base for a base - in every negotiation EVEN the final one that ended the game.

The threat of "Oh no - you have a hostage card from my House and my Cersei character disk is down to 1 crown ... so now that we are in negotiations ... you can have an influence on my system for free if you promise not to kill off the Cersei character ..." just isn't going to change the nature of negotiations in my opinion. There wasn't any 1 or 2 or 3 of my 5 character power cards that would have devastated me if I hadn't been able to use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CE negotiations can involve cards; a good attack card or a flare might be enough for a weaker player to get a base. Seems like that can't happen here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to find a way to try this game at some point and put up my own analysis. The Game of Thrones theme means exactly zero to me either way (I'm neither compelled by it, nor dismissive of it), so all I'll be interested in exploring is the game play.

Even if the game just ends up feeling like "Baby's First Cosmic", then I suppose it would still be justifiable if its sold at a lower price point ($35 maybe?). Sort of a stepping stone for those who haven't played Cosmic and are gaga for GoT. Not something I would own but possibly something I could recommend for others to try.

Time will tell, I suppose. It's got GoT on the cover, so it'll probably sell like hot cakes anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MSRP is $50 FYI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
CE negotiations can involve cards; a good attack card or a flare might be enough for a weaker player to get a base. Seems like that can't happen here.

Seems to me that you might hold a hostage just so that you can exchange it in a truce. That means forgoing a draw for releasing the hostage, and letting someone else draw instead.

I think the notion that you should just release a hostage ASAP is not necessarily so. Sometimes in Cosmic, drawing cards is a bad thing (if you are trying to dump your hand to draw 8). The rule seems to be different here but nevertheless you are going to draw naturally if you fall below 5. If you release the hostage you temporarily increase your hand size, but it delays your next normal draw. Essentially you are borrowing cards for the future. So yo should do it when yo actually need to have a larger hand. Don't bother if your hand is already diverse enough for whatever is coming up.

And the idea that you should just play your highest attack every time is foolish. It can be a good tactic in Cosmic to low card and screw your allies, especially if an ally forces himself in some way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
mlvanbie wrote:

Seems to me that you might hold a hostage just so that you can exchange it in a truce. That means forgoing a draw for releasing the hostage, and letting someone else draw instead.

I think the notion that you should just release a hostage ASAP is not necessarily so. Sometimes in Cosmic, drawing cards is a bad thing (if you are trying to dump your hand to draw 8). The rule seems to be different here but nevertheless you are going to draw naturally if you fall below 5. If you release the hostage you temporarily increase your hand size, but it delays your next normal draw. Essentially you are borrowing cards for the future. So yo should do it when yo actually need to have a larger hand. Don't bother if your hand is already diverse enough for whatever is coming up.

And the idea that you should just play your highest attack every time is foolish. It can be a good tactic in Cosmic to low card and screw your allies, especially if an ally forces himself in some way.

Holding a hostage and releasing it in a deal sounds exciting to say, but in practice you mostly don't care about a hostage or two. You can only play so many cards per round in this game.
If someone was holding my 2 attack card and wanted to let me give them a foreign base, which is 20% of their win condition, in return for giving me back one of my cards, I would laugh at them. Even if they had 1 of my 3 Doreah cards or whatever ...same thing.

If holding a hostage was 1 of your 5 characters/planets then it would be much more important to try and get them back. In that case you would actually care about the hostage.
But, unless it was explained to me wrong in the demo game, a hostage is just a card ...whether it is a numbered attack card or a "character" card .... so no big loss. You'll get it back soon enough if that person starts to get low on cards.

My hand always had about 10 cards in it ... so it didn't really matter to me. The fact that card play is restricted to when you actually get to use a character/planet prevents wild card combos from coming out of no-where. You don't get a Cosmic Zap - then Card Zap - then Card Zap the Card Zap - then Space Junk on the Cosmic Zap - then Finder to grab the Cosmic Zap ...... kind of experience.
This is a slow, deliberate fight without the crazy surprises of CE.
There are cards played from time to time and totals do get adjusted, but there wasn't anything in our game that made me jump out of the chair and go "Oh No You Didn't!!!!" .

Sometimes you do want to screw your allies in CE. It is great fun when you do. But you don't ever want to do it when you could be getting a base. If you have a chance to win you should go for it.
Now if the Parasite joins your attack and he has more bases than you - sure .... but otherwise you should always be trying to win.

If I throw my first attack in CE just to kill off a few allies ships, then good luck on me winning the game. See you in 5 more player turns...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was referring to trading the hostage to someone else other than its owner, so they could release it for a card. If I have few cards in my hand and haves steady income of free draws, while someone else has a big hand, that draw may be more valuable to them than to me, so I might be able to get a power or two in exchange for that hostage.

I should have been more clear with regard to the play of low attack cards. I mean if you have a lot of allies already, then the reward of winning the encounter is relatively low (becuase you are giving points to so many people) so there's no reason to spend your best card to win it.

The best cards should be saved for when you have few allies and the outcome is in doubt.

I've seen a lot of new Cosmic players invite the whole table to an alliance and then throw down a 20 or 40 which is insane. If you intend to throw down a bomb card then don't even invite allies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:

I should have been more clear with regard to the play of low attack cards. I mean if you have a lot of allies already, then the reward of winning the encounter is relatively low (becuase you are giving points to so many people) so there's no reason to spend your best card to win it.

The best cards should be saved for when you have few allies and the outcome is in doubt.

I've seen a lot of new Cosmic players invite the whole table to an alliance and then throw down a 20 or 40 which is insane. If you intend to throw down a bomb card then don't even invite allies!

very true

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Brand
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Just want to say thanks everyone here for all their commentary and analysis. I've been looking for thoughts on this game after GEN CON and this is the best information yet. Kudos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glookose wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:

very true

And that action itself, saying "I don't need help" by your refusal to bring on allies, speaks volumes. After all, with that amount of confidence, should they really be trying to come over the top of that beast? No, they'll just throw a Negotiate/Truce and let me get my colony/influence without wasting a potentially powerful card.

(Then I proceed to win with an Attack 4 versus their Negotiate, which resembles Robb Stark throwing most of his army southward while sending a small force to capture Jaime.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan1701D wrote:
Just want to say thanks everyone here for all their commentary and analysis. I've been looking for thoughts on this game after GEN CON and this is the best information yet. Kudos.

I think non Cosmic players are going to like this game.

I think Cosmic players are going to be split. Half are going to say .. "hey its GoT flavored CE Lite!" and the other
half are going to say .... "meh ... I'll just play Cosmic"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
glookose wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:

very true

And that action itself, saying "I don't need help" by your refusal to bring on allies, speaks volumes. After all, with that amount of confidence, should they really be trying to come over the top of that beast? No, they'll just throw a Negotiate/Truce and let me get my colony/influence without wasting a potentially powerful card.

(Then I proceed to win with an Attack 4 versus their Negotiate, which resembles Robb Stark throwing most of his army southward while sending a small force to capture Jaime.)

Indeed
These head games are a big part of why I like Cosmic. The idea that any crazy thing can happen is sort of a detractor from the head games. Clever moves are more surprising and impressive when you don't just randomly draw amazing flares or aliens that make it happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
bhz1 wrote:
glookose wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:

very true

Indeed
These head games are a big part of why I like Cosmic. The idea that any crazy thing can happen is sort of a detractor from the head games. Clever moves are more surprising and impressive when you don't just randomly draw amazing flares or aliens that make it happen.

I hear what you are saying - I just think that there are literally thousands more euro games with proscribed sets of rules where the chaos is limited, than there are wide open games like Cosmic where crazy and amazing situations can happen and you never see the same game twice.

CE is a shining light on the hill to those of us that like controlled chaos more than law and order. I still tell stories to this day of Cosmic Encounter crazy sessions that happened 30 years ago.

Some folks are going to be happy about making Cosmic Encounter stand in the corner of the classroom, scolding it, and teaching it to behave ....others .... are going to Card Zap that ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Habbermas
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have very similar plans for this game as you. What's your feeling on the price point though? Seems for a more casual experience to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Langley Rock
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks from above
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played or looked at CE. But I'm a huge aGoT fan, so naturally had to check this out.

I started watching the GenCon video. About 5 minutes in, I didn't quite "get it." So I went to watch Tom Vasel's video on CE back from 2008. Seemed like a lot of fun. Went back to watch the GenCon vide on GoT: tIT some more. Didn't make it to the end, as it just didn't seem to "work."

At this point, I'm more inclined to give CE a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.