Matt Jacoby
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
When playing Will (when cleansing an area, if you roll 2 skill successes, gain an extra action token), the player rolled 1 skill success and 1 faith (flaming sword) result. Extremely pedantic/verbage interpretation here, but I argue that he didn't roll 2 skill successes, he rolled 1 success and 1 faith, which was then turned into a skill. He argues that since he rolled the faith, he rolled the success. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
My understanding is that a faith is considered a success for whatever you apply it to, so that would count. It would seem strange and not very fun if the faith symbol counted towards accomplishing a skill feat, but didn't count as a skill success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoskins
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It definitely counts at two successes but I believe the question is whether the faith die that is turned into a success counts towards the two rolled successes that is needed to trigger Will's ability. If you are to go by the ability strictly as written the hero player technically did not roll two successes but rather rolled one success and used a game effect to gain another success. My opinion was that you would count the resulting die faces after all the effects have been applied to trigger the ability but I could see an argument for either being correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dolan
United States
Rockford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I think a common sense reading of the Cleansing rules on page 15 indicates that when you change a Faith symbol into any other symbol, it counts as 'rolled'. Here's what it says:

"For each Skill result rolled, the Hero may remove one face-up Exploration token from his Space. The Hero gets to choose which tokens he’d like to remove. Any other results rolled have no effect, though Faith still allows an extra die to be rolled and can be turned into a Skill result."

So, the rulebook clearly states that the trigger to remove face up exploration tokens is to have rolled Skill symobls (exactly the same way the triggering is phrased for Will). But it also clearly states that you can turn Faith results into (un-rolled) Skill results.

Seems to me the fact that they specifically remind the player that rolled Faith symbols can be turned into un-rolled Skill symbols is pretty solid evidence that you can use them to cleanse, even if they weren't "rolled".

By that logic I would say that Will can change Faith symbols into Will symbols and trigger his ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jacoby
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
After reading everyone's responses as well as thinking on it further, I'd agree with everyone's conclusions that it does trigger Will's ability. We played out the rest of the game under this assumption, and if we had proceeded under the conclusion that it does not, Will would not be nearly as useful as any other characters. I'd recommend to anyone reading this thread that you treat it as the above posters have stated, and maybe we'll see an official confirmation in some errata in the near future (fingerscrossed). Thanks for your replies everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.