Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears to me that there is a contradiction in the rules for 1854 that are included in the 1844/1854 edition.

-- Under Selling Shares (p. 7 in the English rule book,) it says "The Bank Pool may contain any number of a company's ordinary Share Certificates but never the Director's certificate."

-- The Example on p. 8 says "She can only sell 4 shares, as there's already 1 share in the Bank Pool."

The latter statement seems to imply that there is a limit of 5 shares in the Bank Pool, which would contradict the former statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the limit in the original version of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was no limit in the original game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't read the rules, but isn't there a limit of 6 shares in a company? Which means that if there is no one (with at least 2 shares) to pick up the President's Share, then she can only sell 4 because she can't put the President's Share in the bank pool. Thus no contradiction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The company in the example is a 10 share major company. Prior to splitting the majors are 5 share companies. There are local AGs that are 2 share companies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad wording from me: I meant that each player may only own 6 shares (5 certs including the President's Share). Thus if noone can get the President's Share, you can only sell 4 shares because you only have 6 to start with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But that has nothing to do with whether there's a share in the Bank Pool or not, Håkan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Was this ever clarified? I noticed the same issue reading the rules tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.