5 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hunt for the Ring Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oliver O'Brien
msg tools
OK...

If the fellowship is in a friendly Stronghold controlled by the free player which is under siege by the Shadow, does the Shadow get any hunt re-rolls?

The rules state that the troops within a stronghold can only be attacked by "an army IN THE SAME REGION..." (p. 32), and that hunt re-rolls occur when "the Ring-bearers are in a region that contains..." any of the three triggering events (p. 41). This would suggest that a re-roll is triggered.

But I guess that we have always just thought of the Stronghold as being a constructive region of its own... a separate space entirely.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The Shadow player gets Hunt a re-roll for his army and a second one if Nazgul are leading it. A besieged Stronghold is not a separate region for the purpose of game mechanics.

Edit: Imagine that, if the Fellowship's last known position was in the besieged Stronghold, any attempt to slip away past the besiegers will run a higher risk of being spotted than if the coast was clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver O'Brien
msg tools
I like your take on the theme and totally imagine hobbits running through some tall grass while orcs bicker and pick fights around a thousand campfires... God I love this game.

Anyway, works for me, we've just been doing it wrong I guess. Though to be fair, for whatever reason, my crew rarely gets the fellowship into those sorts of situations and tends instead to engage militarily... so it probably has not dramatically impacted our play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the most part, avoiding strongholds with the fellowship is probably a good thing to do, since that's where the Shadow armies want to converge anyway, plus it usually means a longer trip.

I'm not sure how that means engaging more militarily. If the Free People's don't try to run for Mordor and JUST go for the military victory they should lose every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe if the SP is paranoid about losing to the ring so keeps overfilling the hunt box with dice? Then the FP never risks moving the Fellowship so can put all his dice into mustering and moving armies about, whilst the SP has wasted half of his dice...

Or the SP keeps leaving the back door open and letting the good guys take down his fortresses for little effort.

Hmmm... seems unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.