Subject: Customized Map by ZQD (Freeshare) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Minho Kim
South Korea
Hanam
Gyeonggi-do
flag msg tools

Hey there, ZQD is here, a boardgamer who enjoyed Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island. Also, I'm an indie game developer from Devespresso Games.

I customized the game board for myself, but my friends really really want me to share it onto BGG as well as some korean boardgame communities, so here is the download page link:

http://blog.naver.com/newzacade/220779653053

This map has many big features:

1. Clock-wised game flow setting: Now you cannot miss your tasks, cuz what you should do in this game is now organised; similar tasks are gathered, and repositioned.

2. Small. This game board is smaller than the original.

3. The island is now on the center of the board. This is important to play this game, I think.

4. Players can seat four different diections, and separately manage the gameplay in front of your seat. Each side of the game board allows specific tasks to you, For instance, Player who seats South will manage the crafting. (Are you even a carpenter? Perfect.)

It's free to print and use, so please make some review for this awesome game and my new game board, but don't sell it or edit it. Enjoy this game and play more.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
...just wiped a pool of drool off my keyboard!
Is it language independent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Incredible work. Love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Idziak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the artwork. It's even more thematic than original. Not sure about the placement of different spots on the board. Looks a little messy but it's hard to say without playing with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic.
Thank you.
I always felt the original board does not flow well but you really showed that in your diagram.
Great fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
서 보국
South Korea
flag msg tools
yes. written with english but not important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarosław Chmiel
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmb
The only problem I see here is that the order of action resolving is altered. Building action is before gathering and exploring, not after :/ Other than that, really great asset
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Franklin1742 wrote:
I far prefer your rendering of the island. It also makes clear that there are only 10 tiles in it, unlike the original.

Agree - also the colour is a big improvement over the washed-out look of the original. Makes the island much more exciting to look at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Watch
msg tools
Great work- did you make the figures/ palisade parts etc? Cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miha Schrott
Slovenia
flag msg tools
I love it!
Really nice work, congrats!
Just played with this board yesterday (Volcano Island) and won
The game flow was better that with the original board and somehow going out to discover new island parts was more exciting.
It's simply better in every way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm heading to get this printed probably this week. But I had a thought:
The original board setup places the beach tile on the far left position. Yours puts it in the lower left position. Do you feel so far that it impacts exploring the board at all?

Cue my [probably] inconsequential musings:

Originally, exploring and moving your camp toward the middle is typically the obvious choice to broaden your options for further exploration, as going either above or below left you with only one or two options to explore further. With your setup, going above (upper left) or toward the middle is essentially the same, but exploring and moving across the bottom is now a more efficient option than before. Does this make exploring a tad easier?

On the other hand, starting on the far left (as in the original) gives you the option to move and explore in a more linear fashion across the board without as much backtracking. So does your board make exploring a tad more difficult in the long run?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow! Awesome. I printed it out on photo paper and it looks great. To think I'll be playing my first game of it on your board.

Anyways, maybe down the road I'll look into printing on to some kind of rollup canvas. Now I think that would be really cool. But I guess first let me get some plays under my belt. And figure out a way to keep these sheets together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
crsunik wrote:
The only problem I see here is that the order of action resolving is altered. Building action is before gathering and exploring, not after :/ Other than that, really great asset

I guess, it's easy enough just to layout the cards in the correct order, but it would be nice if the playmat could be changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
mbmbmbmbmb
What size is this board when printed out? Anyone know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
paxton73 wrote:
What size is this board when printed out? Anyone know?

Approx 23.5" x 19" printed out on six US letter sheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
mbmbmbmbmb
cruisechum wrote:
Wow! Awesome. I printed it out on photo paper and it looks great. To think I'll be playing my first game of it on your board.

Anyways, maybe down the road I'll look into printing on to some kind of rollup canvas. Now I think that would be really cool. But I guess first let me get some plays under my belt. And figure out a way to keep these sheets together.

You can buy folding boards from most craft stores for really cheap and then use photo sticker paper and apply it to the board. Just use a blade to cut off the parts you don't want and cut the paper where it needs to bend and fold up.
http://www.joann.com/search?q=folding+board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...or go cheaply thrift a board game for an already nice folding game board (Monopoly, Sorry, etc.). I commonly do this for custom or PNP work. Though I have come to prefer laser printing onto linen stock resume paper, gluing it down with simple stick glue, and rolling it flat with a rolling pin. It looks great, and is easier to work with than sticker paper or labels. Unlike sticker paper, the linen sheet with stick glue allows you to re-position it as needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yup, I used a thrifted board to do the PnP of the 19.5 anniversary beta of Kill Doctor Lucky with removable sticker paper (it was the least expensive). But the edges curled at the folds, so it'll probably mean having to glue it down permanently.

But as it's just a playmat, right now, I'm fine with it being on six sheets of US letter paper taped together. It just means having to undo the tape each time.

As mentioned to have this printed on cloth or that mousepad stuff would be the ideal solution. But I'll have to get some plays in to see how it works and hope that he changes the order of the cards and uploads a new file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cruisechum wrote:
But I'll have to get some plays in to see how it works and hope that he changes the order of the cards and uploads a new file.

I'm very much looking forward to hearing your reports. Though I think it would require many sessions to get any real meaningful data. Building last [among the three main actions] won't alter any game mechanics, as all of your placements are pre-planned, and cannot be altered once the action phase begins. However, there are at least a couple of corner cases that could arise.

Building [with a single pawn] is the most dangerous action available, between more wounds on the dice and also generally more injurious adventures. If I am going to be drawing adventure cards from later, single-pawn actions in a round, I definitely want to resolve a single-pawn build action first, as wounds are more likely, and later adventure draws may provide options. Those options usually involve potential wounds that I may not want to risk after a bad encounter while building.

The other potential situation that comes to mind is building the pot and/or cure in the same round as anticipating an adventure while gathering. There are multiple adventures in the gathering deck that can cause sickness or infection, etc. This is also true of the adventure deck. There is more security in choosing when you have already resolved your building action (success or not).

Again, these are rare cases, but they're bound to arise.

There are probably benefits to the order on this modified board as well. For example, whatever happened while exploring or gathering may influence whether or not you spend your determination tokens on a reroll during a build action.

STill, to avoid any doubt, I too would prefer it remain as it was designed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nuke_morningstar
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Respect. I'm going to print this and try it myself.
Kudos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antwan Martin

California
msg tools

So i found this website inkedgaming.com that makes custom playmats.

Another post in this thread mentioned that the printed dimensions should be around 23.5" x 19" (when printed on six US letter sheets)

It looks like the mat they have that can best fit these dimensions is their two player map

I uploaded the full size map file and it didnt fit the crop-lines at all, so then i rotated the map image, and ended up with it looking like this.

still doesnt quite fit so it looks like ill be paying the $15 for the editing help.

(though even when i picked a 36" by 36" inch playmat the image was not fitting right so im sure theres a way to adjust the image size to fix this i just dont know it...)

Im wondering if any of you guys have any exeperience with "inkedgaming.com" or any other online game mat printers.

If you have any feedback or suggestions so that I could be successful in this please let me know.

And I will be sure to post some pictures after I get the mat printed.

Finally, BIG thanks to ZQD for putting this together. This game is gaining momentum with the new edition out and people are realizing how great it really is and this map you made just takes it to another level.

much respect ZQD!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's exactly what I was looking for, but ouch on that price as I didn't even pay that much for the game (bought second hand).

I was going to suggest resizing the image, but you would have trouble with the mini inventory cards as they fit precisely. For the rest, there is wiggle room to trim, but then you would lose graphic elements or they would cut off and just look wrong, considering the money you would be paying. But to go up to 36"x 36" is overkill too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kim
United States
Mukilteo
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbolyard wrote:
I'm heading to get this printed probably this week. But I had a thought:
The original board setup places the beach tile on the far left position. Yours puts it in the lower left position. Do you feel so far that it impacts exploring the board at all?

Cue my [probably] inconsequential musings:

Originally, exploring and moving your camp toward the middle is typically the obvious choice to broaden your options for further exploration, as going either above or below left you with only one or two options to explore further. With your setup, going above (upper left) or toward the middle is essentially the same, but exploring and moving across the bottom is now a more efficient option than before. Does this make exploring a tad easier?

On the other hand, starting on the far left (as in the original) gives you the option to move and explore in a more linear fashion across the board without as much backtracking. So does your board make exploring a tad more difficult in the long run?

I share the same concerns as this "limits" the possibilities of exploration. It'd be nice if the map portion could be formatted to the original's.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I realized I miscounted the number of spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antwan Martin

California
msg tools
I haven't printed ZQD's board out and seen it in person yet, but from looking at the pictures of it, what is stopping us from having our starting tile on the far left?

Is it because of a thematic reason, like how most of the bottom left tile is water and that is where we would seemingly "wash ashore"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
twanonpoint wrote:
I haven't printed ZQD's board out and seen it in person yet, but from looking at the pictures of it, what is stopping us from having our starting tile on the far left?

Is it because of a thematic reason, like how most of the bottom left tile is water and that is where we would seemingly "wash ashore"?

There is no reason you can't use the same original starting tile position, other than the thematic visual reason that you mention. The map still constrains it to the same 10 tile spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.