12 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can TIE fighters be left behind? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Chiddicks
msg tools
I don't have the rules with me and I'm not sure this is addressed anyway

I know TIE fighters need transports to move, but can they remain behind in a system without a transport?

Assuming 'yes' because they can definitely be ground launched in the movies, can they be left behind in a destroyed system?

i.e. are TIE fighters treated as ground units in that situation? With neither planet nor a transport to dock with, do they get destroyed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
They are treated exactly like ground units in this regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tie fighters can be left alone in a system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They actually aren't Craig, Aron is right. They can exist in a destroyed system as they are ships, unlike ground units, which will be destroyed if left alone in a destroyed system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
They actually aren't Craig, Aron is right. They can exist in a destroyed system as they are ships, unlike ground units, which will be destroyed if left alone in a destroyed system.

Oh yeah...I didn't think of that bit while answering. My bad. I was just referring to the being left behind bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:

This came up in the (one) game I've played. The Death Star blew up a planet with an AT-AT and AT-ST on it with only TIE fighters in the system. The following turn, the Rebels attacked with newly deployed Y-Wings and used Death Star Plans to blow it up - which instantly destroyed the ground units (allowing us to claim the mission Crippling Blow: "3 health worth of ground units were destroyed in a combat you initiated" at the same time!) but left the surviving TIE fighter in place. We retreated rather than clean up, which was a mistake since that let the Empire follow up with a Capture mission on the remaining leader in that space (Chewie, who had previously led a Hit and Run into that sector in order to cut down the number of TIEs we were attacking).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Clipper wrote:

This came up in the (one) game I've played. The Death Star blew up a planet with an AT-AT and AT-ST on it with only TIE fighters in the system. The following turn, the Rebels attacked with newly deployed Y-Wings and used Death Star Plans to blow it up - which instantly destroyed the ground units (allowing us to claim the mission Crippling Blow: "3 health worth of ground units were destroyed in a combat you initiated" at the same time!) but left the surviving TIE fighter in place. We retreated rather than clean up, which was a mistake since that let the Empire follow up with a Capture mission on the remaining leader in that space (Chewie, who had previously led a Hit and Run into that sector in order to cut down the number of TIEs we were attacking).

As cool as that would be, you can only claim one objective card per combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eunoia wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Clipper wrote:

As cool as that would be, you can only claim one objective card per combat.

Bah! Oh well. One of the game owners was on the Imperial side, so his fault for not spotting it

(Also, we achieved the Crippling Blow mission again in our final turn when we did an uprising mission of some form - make a bunch of units appear on a subjugated world and immediately resolve a ground combat - so wouldn't have made any difference). Especially since we overshot by a point in the end of turn phase as well!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Morris
United States
Wallingford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Clipper wrote:

Also, (please correct me if I'm wrong), it sounds like you're saying that the AT-AT and AT-ST were living on the Death Star after the Imperial player destroyed the planet on which they had been positioned. It was my impression that ground units ALWAYS stay on planets and are never positioned on ships (except for the brief moment when they are carried from one planet to another during movement). Thus, the AT-AT and AT-ST would have been destroyed when the Imperial player destroyed the planet and could not have been on Death Star when it was destroyed.

Thanks in advance if someone shows me that I've been playing incorrectly.

O

Edit: for clarity and grammar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcesilaus wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Clipper wrote:

Also, (please correct me if I'm wrong), it sounds like you're saying that the AT-AT and AT-ST were living on the Death Star after the Imperial player destroyed the planet on which they had been positioned. It was my impression that ground units ALWAYS stay on planets and are never positioned on ships (except for the brief moment when they are carried from one planet to another during movement). Thus, the AT-AT and AT-ST would have been destroyed when the Imperial player destroyed the planet and could not have been on Death Star when it was destroyed.

Normally, that is true, that ground units live on the planet.

However, the rules have a specific provision for destroyed planets. If the Empire destroys a planet and he has ground units there, those ground units are not destroyed. Rebel ground units WOULD be destroyed, though. (This represents the Empire evacuating their troops before they blow it up, since they will be more in control of the timing of the shot).

Thereafter, if ground units enter/exist in a destroyed system, they must have transport capacity or be destroyed. But they CAN exist there (and won't fight other ground units).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcesilaus wrote:
Thanks in advance if someone shows me that I've been playing incorrectly.

Here's the rule you were missing:

RR - Destroyed Systems wrote:
Imperial ground units in the system are not automatically
destroyed. If the number of units that require transport exceed
the transport capacity of Imperial ships in the system, the
Imperial player must destroy units (of his choice) that exceed
his transport capacity.

The Rebel ground units are indeed destroyed, though. Rebel ground units can move in afterwards under the same rule as Imperial ground units. See the rest of the Destroyed Systems section for proof of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Morris
United States
Wallingford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. Awesome. Thanks for clarifying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.