Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amos Dillman
United States
Bement
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played RW yet, but I have the first edition + BoW. I was planning on playing with the Revised rules and some elements from BoW (to start).

When I was looking at the rules for the BoW cities, they said that when playing with the cities the victory condition should be 7 rather than 6. But if I play with the revised rules, players ALSO (probably) start with 1 rather than 2 runes due to rune placement at the start.

Since players are starting with less runes, should I still increase the victory condition to 7? My understanding is that BoW rules were written before RW 2ed w/revised rules. Is the increased victory still a necessary change w/BoW cities + revised rules rune placement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cities included in Banners of War are more powerful and some even contain dragon runes. This means those areas could possibly contain a total of 2 dragon runes. That's why it's suggested to increase the number of runes.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, starting with no runes in your home area is just a formality. It isn't long before players have 2 dragon runes and move them back to their home realms.

However, if you are enforcing the 6-year rules, then it might be good to keep it at 6 so that there's a chance someone can actually win with their victory card. Unfortunately, I've only had the pleasure of finishing Runewars once or twice. Every other time I played, we ran out of time and had to call it quits.

As for correct interpretations, I would say follow the rules and use 7 runes in addition to the victory card method of winning. But I wouldn't use the year limit if you could help it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Dillman
United States
Bement
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was intending to play w/the revised edition 7 year limit as that's the most up-to-date version of the road to victory end game condition. I was only looking at whether the 7 rune victory is still a good idea to start with since (I think) the revised rules already slow players down by 1 rune to start the game.

In RW 1ed, each player put two dragon runes and one false rune on the board--in their home territories. In the revised edition, each player puts 1 dragon rune and 1 false rune on the board--not in their home territories. So there are objectively less runes on the board to start the game revised rules vs 1ed rules. Consequently, I was assuming that starting the game 2/7 of the way to victory is the same as staring 1/6 of the way to victory.

Maybe 7 runes still is a good idea w/the BoW cities. But I'm guessing the 7 runes to victory rule was written before they changed how many runes players get at the beginning of the game in the revised edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I like playing with 5 runes and 6 years with Revised rules. With the new cities, 6 runes and 6 years should suffice.

I don't really like the new cities though, as I felt that cities were good enough before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I don't think it would break the game at all to play to a lower rune count, with or without the cities. The increased count was primarily because the "standard" in the original edition was that you win INSTANTLY if you have enough runes, so the extra runes on the new cities could just cut the game short.

With the revised edition and the new Victory condition (which is the same as Road to Victory in the expansion) and the slower start due to no starting runes (which is quickly rectified, as mentioned above), it's not quite as needed.

Just agree before the game on how many you will play to, and either way it will be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
Palisades Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markino wrote:
I like playing with 5 runes and 6 years with Revised rules. With the new cities, 6 runes and 6 years should suffice.

I don't really like the new cities though, as I felt that cities were good enough before.

100% in agreement with this - we also do 5 runes and 6 years using revised rules and do not use new cities. For a first game, this is what i would recommend, but depends on your personal pref, game experience, time availability etc of course.

Note that 1 extra year makes a big diff in time - the later years take noticeably longer than the early years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.