Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Skinner
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there. Picked this up at Gen Con and have played it a couple times, both with 5 players, and just want to make sure we're correctly understanding what the book states about playing with 5.

1. The only way to play 5 player is with the Troubled Waters mode, correct?
2. When playing with Troubled Waters, the Captain has to select their one card at random, correct? From reading some other comments, is this to balance the fact that Captains later in the round have a potential to receive more cards due to Cockpit upgrades as the round progresses?

Thanks for clarifying/confirming. Enjoying the game! Looking forward to trying it with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Troubled Waters" mode is recommended with 5 but not mandatory
In this mode the Captain take 1 card at random from the left over of each other player. So he's getting 4 cards...
If you d'ont play with this mode with 5p you will get a lot of cards when you're are captain, not very convenient if you're playing with children for example (too much to handle and to choose from !)

Enjoy the game

Antoine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Villeurbanne
flag msg tools
publisher
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RSkinner wrote:
1. The only way to play 5 player is with the Troubled Waters mode, correct?
No, it's a recommended variant with 5 players, but you can also play normally. This will leave a lot of choices to the Captain and can make games a bit longer, but it's still fine.
RSkinner wrote:
2. When playing with Troubled Waters, the Captain has to select their one card at random, correct?
Yes: one random card from each other player.

EDIT : Antoine is much quicker than me… blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Skinner
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for the responses! We were playing it slightly wrong, so glad I asked. We had the Captain receiving ALL the remaining cards from the other players, and then randomly selecting one as his draft to play face up. It felt strange and unnecessarily random which is why I wanted to check.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, this is how I read the rules as well. You aren't the only one who got it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Willis
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I read it the same way and played it wrong as well. Makes more sense now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.