$20.00
$5.00
$30.00
$15.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

The Last Friday» Forums » General

Subject: Intentionally Unbalanced? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chase Williams
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After two plays, I have a concern... is this intentionally unbalanced in favor of the campers?

Let me explain...

The Maniac is very unlikely to collect more than one more maniac token after the start of the game.

The campers have five people to move around to capture the maniac.

The campers acquire many clue tokens (one enters every third turn)

The campers have abilities by default...the maniac has none.

The maniac reveals his exact location every three turns..while being hunted (I feel this should be the other way. I would rather reveal my exact location when I am hunting the campers)

What is supposed to level the playing field for the maniac? All we get to do is move. The board has sections that benefit the maniac in terms of speed but others that benefit the campers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to above, I am wondering how the game differs in setup and play depending on PLAYER COUNT.

For example, if there are less than 6 players, do the 1/2/3/4 campers still control all 5 camper pawns (as is done in Letters from Whitechapel)?



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Ferrara
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The handle should be very good. It takes more matches in the manic cloths to be fast and deadly :-) If the game had been balanced by maniac, the maniac would always won, but in this way the maniac has to be good to win :-)

It always plays with five campers regardless of how many players. 2 players: one move 5 campers and one move the maniac and so on...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
One theory of game design is that each player should have about equal chance of winning. So in a five player game the maniac would win 20% of the time and the other players would win 80% of the time (4 x 20%). Another theory is that it should be 50/50, with each SIDE getting an equal chance of winning. I wonder which theory this game ascribes to.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Williams
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geremy wrote:
The handle should be very good. It takes more matches in the manic cloths to be fast and deadly :-) If the game had been balanced by maniac, the maniac would always won, but in this way the maniac has to be good to win :-)

It always plays with five campers regardless of how many players. 2 players: one move 5 campers and one move the maniac and so on...


I consider myself fairly intelligent. Mind sharing the ratio of wins from the maniac side from your plays?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Ferrara
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
igotdvds wrote:
Geremy wrote:
The handle should be very good. It takes more matches in the manic cloths to be fast and deadly :-) If the game had been balanced by maniac, the maniac would always won, but in this way the maniac has to be good to win :-)

It always plays with five campers regardless of how many players. 2 players: one move 5 campers and one move the maniac and so on...


I consider myself fairly intelligent. Mind sharing the ratio of wins from the maniac side from your plays?


Campers win 60% Maniac win 40%
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.