Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, my question is:
If you Charge and the result is *just enough* to put you in front of (and thus engaged with) an enemy, so there is no Smash bonus, does this also negate the Max Momentum Charging Smash +1 bonus even though you qualify for it?

And my niggle...
Seems that the rule where you draw a card when you destroy an enemy should be worded that you *may* draw a card. Playing against expanding Oozes, I was constantly drawing way more cards into my hand than I wanted. It's a dumb way to lose a game. I should be able to *not* draw a card if I don't wish to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ Dunbar
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Don,
Good evening!
If you charge 'juuuust enough' and are in front of the opposing unit you will engage but with NO bonuses. Essentially you walked up to the opposing unit, finished eating a danish, and then pulled out your sword, and declared a duel.

If you were Charging and rolled 'juuuuust enough' and you had an ability such as "Rage (+3 attack while charging), you WOULD receive this bonus because you are in fact charging.

If you were Charging and you were 3 spaces away. If you rolled a 4, 5, 6, or a 12, you will receive a SMASH (+1 attack bonus) bonus. This is because you stormed down the battlefield with your sword in the air and mercilessly plowed into that opposing unit. This is called the Smash bonus!

If you engaged in combat with the SMASH bonus, and also have Momentum in your favor you receive another +1 attack bonus! This is +2 attack, as you are gaining the SMASH and the MOMENTUM bonus.

If you do not have the SMASH BONUS you cannot gain the MOMENTUM bonus.

Ah ha!
Yes - when you are slaying the gelatinous ooze hordes and you are drawing many many cards, that is by design. That scenario you may run out of cards!
To counter this - make sure your deck as 40 cards, and many fast and armored cards. These will help ensure your victory.... I just hope that Gelatinous Ooze lord does not appear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I managed to survive the encounter even after *purposely* allowing the Gelatinous Ooze Lord to appear by not attacking the Oozes, letting them Expand to their gooey heart's content. I then managed to kill the Lord with that unmoving Elf unit that does 5 ranged damage by keeping minor Oozes alive in front of the Lord to slow his progress. He did make it to my Castle though, finally dying in melee with the Elf.

This actually leads to another question I had but forgot to ask: If my deck had run out, and I ran out of cards in hand, and let's say there were no units left on the field, the 2 player rules have the game ending when this happens to *both* players, giving the victory to the player whose Castle has the highest health. Would this count as a victory/loss in the Solo campaign, too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Grens
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
riddle13 wrote:
Playing against expanding Oozes, I was constantly drawing way more cards into my hand than I wanted.

Too much of a good thing! I think that's an awesome twist actually.

riddle13 wrote:

If my deck had run out, and I ran out of cards in hand, and let's say there were no units left on the field, the 2 player rules have the game ending when this happens to *both* players, giving the victory to the player whose Castle has the highest health. Would this count as a victory/loss in the Solo campaign, too?

So, if you have zero units left and thus are unable to achieve the victory condition, then it is not a "victory".. So even if the automatic "loss" critera were not met either, I'd still call this You Lose / Sorry / Try Again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.