Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Walko
United States
Oswego
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. I was wondering if anyone knew of anything in regards to efficiently storing board games. My girlfriend and I live in a one bedroom apartment and space can be quite an issue. One of the closets in our apartment is dedicated entirely to games. My car trunk also houses them (I just leave a bunch there at times), and another closet in our bedroom has a few as well. We do not have a ton of space, particularly to grow more of them too until we move into a small house, but that is probably years away.

I recently saw a kickstarter for bitbox, and I know there is a thread here about it. It got me thinking if there are other storage solutions of any sort that work well since space for us is at a premium. I am a little offset and the price for what you get for the bitbox, but am strongly considering it because for the money, freeing up the space seems pretty worth it. I kind of just have doubts as to how sturdy these boxes are and how they will last over time. I also do not like the idea of getting rid of all my boxes, but at the same time, I am super excited at the prospect of shrinking things.

Like I already said, I was wondering if there are alternative ways to accomplish the same thing that anyone does. I suppose I am looking to see if there is any other way that is still pleasing to the eye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I travel with my family, I will often combine 2-3 smaller games into one usually small-sized box that fits in a carry on bag easily. You could use that idea on your shelves by putting multiple games into one standard (large) box. If you ditch the insert, you can fit quite a lot into one box. And you still have an attractive box to put on your shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use some of those foldable Ottoman bneches like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H67BDQO?tag=article-boardgamege... for general storage purposes.
They can hold a dozen or so of large game boxes and some more of the smaller boxes.
THey can also be used as additional seats (bench or stool for the half-length Ottoman) or just as a depository.
(There are a lot of colorful designs available in Germany.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Upstate
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone will probably crucify me with this suggestion, but I throw away nearly every box (expansions especially), as I find there's an unusually large amount of dead space in most game boxes. I store everything compartmentalized in these Stanley organizers:

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-25-Removable-Compartment-Prof...

This not only allows me to maximize a game's footprint by storing as many as 2-3 games per organizer, but storage needs are standardized as I don't have to accommodate any strange shaped boxes, metal tins, or be worried about weight tolerances, etc. As a side benefit, it makes setup and teardown a breeze due to the many compartments that can be lifted out as needed. The larger bins fit sleeved US poker sized cards perfectly, the medium bins store sleeved mini euro/us cards, and the small bins are fantastic for bits and tokens. I store folded game boards in separate plastic bins, organized in several different ways.

I wish I didn't have to resort to these extremes, but space is a real issue for me as well. Even though I live in a single family home, the only space I get to dedicate to this hobby is a small coat closet. If it doesn't fit in there, it has to go, so this storage solution allows me to own and play a larger variety of games, at the expense of aesthetics. I won't lie, every time I break out a game, part of me dies a little... it's just so very ugly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Another idea is what we did : floor to ceiling Kallax from Ikea - has much more room for games than a closet occupying the same wall space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My car trunk also houses them (I just leave a bunch there at times)

Do you have moisture issues or other weather related problems when you store games in the trunk of your car?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
The bitbox thing might be a good idea for you. If you are reluctant to get rid of the boxes after 'botboxing' everything, you can always just put all the smaller ones inside the larger ones to reduce the amount of space they take up, the boxes will still take up space, just less - it really depends on what size boxes they are though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JF Paradis
Canada
flag msg tools
Quote:
Quote:

Do you have moisture issues or other weather related problems when you store games in the trunk of your car?

A friend of mine stored his games in his trunk for a while. Eventually he had to throw them all out because of the mold that was growing all over them.

A cautionary tale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason King
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep my games in the trunk, and they've held up fine for years. They even survived my car being shot 7 times with a .40 caliber (no joke).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often use Dragon Shield boxes for card games. I have Netrunner, Port Royal, Asante, Star realms, and a few others stored in those and it saves a lot of space. I got a small hessian bag online for Splendor as that box is waaaay to big. But i generally like to keep the games in their boxes with expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I did when I had too many books for the space I had (before I had a library) was put a shelf all the way around the living room at the top. Out of the way but ready to hand and there was quite a lot of space there at the ceiling that was not being used. Often people forget there is a good bit of space at the tops of walls that is out of the way and unused.

Unless you live in a "tiny house"- those things use every inch of space!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moira Reade
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Davej360 wrote:
The best way to get more space is to reduce of the number of the games you own.

THIS. This is the key to being organized in every way. To have less clutter- have less stuff. I still struggle with this daily. The urge to "organize" an ever increasing panoply of THINGS is strong (in me, anyway).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotneko wrote:
I keep my games in the trunk, and they've held up fine for years. They even survived my car being shot 7 times with a .40 caliber (no joke).
Now that's what I call a sore loser.

Pete (threw a chair at someone once but this is way worse)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
wren08 wrote:
One thing I did when I had too many books for the space I had (before I had a library) was put a shelf all the way around the living room at the top. Out of the way but ready to hand and there was quite a lot of space there at the ceiling that was not being used. Often people forget there is a good bit of space at the tops of walls that is out of the way and unused.

Unless you live in a "tiny house"- those things use every inch of space!

Creative locations for shelving is a great way to increase your storage space. Our book collection is stored in shelves around the edge of the attic which serves as our kid's playroom.

Our game closet is the area above and on the side of the closet that stores my musical instruments.

Most closets (around here anyway) are far taller than they have shelves for. Putting games you're not using up high and rotating them with your accessible stock might be a good partial solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
pilotneko wrote:
Now that's what I call a sore loser.

Pete (threw a chair at someone once but this is way worse)

I want to know what happened in both of these references.

What happened, Jason, that your car was shot 7 times?

And Pete, what compelled you to throw a chair someone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Walko
United States
Oswego
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Quote:

Never had an issue with mold or anything. I live in Central New York and honestly the humidity here is rarely an issue. I never considered it, but after years of having varying games sitting in my trunk, I have never seen any issue with a game.

Also, thanks for the suggestions everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone on this site shrinks the boxes his games come in. He keeps the cover artwork - maybe he shrinks it with a color copier - and does use the original box, but just cuts the size down.

I have no idea how to locate the original post where he explains how to do it. But I bet someone reading this post will know.

Edit: I found the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.