Blood Rage» Forums » General

Subject: Ideas for playing as experienced player vs newbies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
arry -
msg tools
mbmb
Hi!

Imagine the following situation: you're the first guy in town to obtain Blood Rage, and have been playing obsessively for a couple of months. Mostly with the same people, so the experience level within the group is comparable. But you want to introduce the game to new people, and we all know how experience-based this game is, so the 1 experienced and 2/3 newbs is a disaster, and not fun for anyone.

What would be some ways to increase the challenge for the experienced guy? Probably it would veer into the variant-rules category, but if you want to grow the group, you've got to have new blood, and if players are turned off by the first rofl-stomp game, I won't get anywhere.

One way I can think of so far is this: during the draft, in the first and second pick you don't select the first-pick and second-pick cards, so you don't end up with powerhouse cards (free-warrior cards, Loki's Trickery, etc). I wouldn't want to change in-game tactics though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest to talk loud about your strategy for the first half or so of the game.
From there on they are on their own and there will still be plenty of surprises.

EDIT: That means playing without any variant or house rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hausig
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could go the golf route and take a point handicap. That way, your actual playing is not affected and the new players have a good example to learn from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas MacIntyre
Scotland
Glasgow
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
possible handicapping
- Discard one drafted card at the beginning of age 1.
- No carry over.
- A points penalty to begin.
- One less rage in each round.

Best thing I would suggest is if possible sit out of the first game while people learn (as hard as it goes to not play but just to explain it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Brown
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
No, I'M Spartacus
badge
\m/
mbmbmbmbmb
You could choose randomly from the cards you're passed rather than draft. That should make it much trickier for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules suggest that for new players, you don't do the drafting at all during the first age. By the second age, the players should have enough familiarity with what the various types of cards do that they can make somewhat reasonable decisions, and during the first age your drafting experience won't help you at all.

Another option: have the other (new) players draft (passing to each other but skipping you) while you just discard down to 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
When I play with new or less experienced players I always try out new strategies. Or play unique "teaching" strategies. Like building something around the Volur Witch, Mystic Troll, or Odin's Chosen. Fenrir also seems to have little love, but there is still a killer strategy with him, so for second or third time players I usually pull him out to show that Rangnarök is a very useful tool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.